Angus Brayshaw's knee injury (minor strain - 4 weeks)

Wealthy bigpennies

If you start introducing premiership point "bonuses" or finals berths to teams for practice games, then teams will quickly start having practice games to prepare for the practice games, which will lead for calls to award incentives for the winners of the practice practice games, leading to practice practice practice games, and the whole world will go up in flames.

• Like 10

On 3 March 2016 at 11:49 AM, McQueen said:

it's been mentioned somewhere that a game plan can only be truly put to test against an opposition who aren't aware of many of the intricacies such as stoppage set ups, running patterns etc, etc.

Intra club games are played with both sides having full knowledge of this thereby diluting the value of the 'practice'.

Now you've just gone and ruined it Steve.

25 minutes ago, Good Times Grimes said:

If you start introducing premiership point "bonuses" or finals berths to teams for practice games, then teams will quickly start having practice games to prepare for the practice games, which will lead for calls to award incentives for the winners of the practice practice games, leading to practice practice practice games, and the whole world will go up in flames.

Sounds like something out of an episode of Get Smart.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Laughable. Why would you do that? What good comes of having serious games in February and early March. If you want that then just play 2 extra rounds and let the teams win their 8 points fair and square. Imagine missing the 8 because another team won the practice match series, you'd be furious. 

I've to admit though, I would have been great for a belly laugh if this proposal had been in place the year Carlton won the PS comp then the spoon in the H&A season. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

They are PRACTISE GAMES like qualifying in F1

why do you want 5 weeks of it with a Final at Etihad?

they are PRACTISE GAMES to tweak the list and test out ideas...

because its part of preparation for the season,  (if it had integrity played properly)  it would have interest. 

Especially good for the game,  which has lost its integrity of late,  & it helps bring the game back to the people.   I've been spouting on about regional for some years  &  am happy to see the AFL are following my lead on this. 

They should do a bit more.  Fill the voids of those who can't get to games,  as they are remote.   

Rotate regional games each year,  instead of having just the one region ground.eg:  maybe this years Gippsland game at Traralgon, maybe next year at Lakes Entrance. 

I want a month of regional games... thats the bottom line.  you have to have a final ontop of that.

10 minutes ago, dee-luded said:

because its part of preparation for the season,  (if it had integrity played properly)  it would have interest. 

Especially good for the game,  which has lost its integrity of late,  & it helps bring the game back to the people.   I've been spouting on about regional for some years  &  am happy to see the AFL are following my lead on this. 

They should do a bit more.  Fill the voids of those who can't get to games,  as they are remote.   

Rotate regional games each year,  instead of having just the one region ground.eg:  maybe this years Gippsland game at Traralgon, maybe next year at Lakes Entrance. 

I want a month of regional games... thats the bottom line.  you have to have a final ontop of that.

Preperation for the upcoming season

3 Practise Games

WTF do we need a cup to have integrity and interest in Practise Games...?

5 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Preperation for the upcoming season

3 Practise Games

WTF do we need a cup to have integrity and interest in Practise Games...?

a cup has nothing to do with it SWYL.  but it needs to be finalised.

1 minute ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Bullsh!t it does

the only thing needing to be finalized is the senior side for Round 1

your thinking of the small picture, that of Melbourne.   I'm thinking of the game itself,  that we reside within.   that's what we need to be strong & healthy,  in a world of overseas sport encroaching.

28 minutes ago, dee-luded said:

your thinking of the small picture, that of Melbourne.   I'm thinking of the game itself,  that we reside within.   that's what we need to be strong & healthy,  in a world of overseas sport encroaching.

Ramblings of a complete Fruitcake...

practise games....

55 minutes ago, dee-luded said:

Are there any major sport codes where preseason games count for anything? Nothing I can think of, and I'm familiar with all of the North American sports. No need to make preseason games count for anything, as their purpose is solely for practice and preparation for the season ahead.

Edited by Good Times Grimes

35 minutes ago, Good Times Grimes said:

Are there any major sport codes where preseason games count for anything? Nothing I can think of, and I'm familiar with all of the North American sports. No need to make preseason games count for anything, as their purpose is solely for practice and preparation for the season ahead.

why do you want to follow?  going down the same worn track as the Americans/Europeans only follows the very same mistakes made. Our country is different geographically,  more sparse & larger distances to travel to major cities.

The thing they (afl) have to count for is taking the game to those who rarely get a chance to attend.   We have to give them opportunities to feel close to the game & to the action. 

Thats what it can count for..  bringing the game into repute,  with our country peoples.

Giving them something meaningful to them;  games on they're doorsteps,  even if preseason games.

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Bullsh!t it does

the only thing needing to be finalized is the senior side for Round 1

Spot on.

Practice games are a good opportunity to execute our game plan and see who is willing to put there hand up for round 1 as you say.

Forget about interest and integrity rubbish. Put our plan into practice and thats it. I only care about when the real stuff starts.

11 minutes ago, dee-luded said:

why do you want to follow?  going down the same worn track as the Americans/Europeans only follows the very same mistakes made. Our country is different geographically,  more sparse & larger distances to travel to major cities.

The thing they (afl) have to count for is taking the game to those who rarely get a chance to attend.   We have to give them opportunities to feel close to the game & to the action. 

Thats what it can count for..  bringing the game into repute,  with our country peoples.

Giving them something meaningful to them;  games on they're doorsteps,  even if preseason games.

Why do we have to be different for the sake of being different?

The point I was making is that no sports leagues (that I know of) have any incentives for winning preseason matches, and I hope that AFL stays the same way. 

I'm all for preseason games happening as I think they're valuable for shaking off the cobwebs and giving new players a look in, but I couldn't give a stuff where the preseason games are played and while wins are enjoyable the results are meaningless, like they should be and should remain.

1 hour ago, Good Times Grimes said:

Why do we have to be different for the sake of being different?

The point I was making is that no sports leagues (that I know of) have any incentives for winning preseason matches, and I hope that AFL stays the same way. 

I'm all for preseason games happening as I think they're valuable for shaking off the cobwebs and giving new players a look in, but I couldn't give a stuff where the preseason games are played and while wins are enjoyable the results are meaningless, like they should be and should remain.

who said for the sake of it?   I didn't.   I said we need to do what suits us Australians..our game,  our supporters.  our geography.

I said earlier the cup is irrelevant.

if we are to play mutton matches dressed up as lamb, then make it cheap to get in & take it to the people.  that is all.    You may not be thinking of the games wellbeing,  or the country people who don't get to much AFL,  but that doesn't mean others don't think of the bigger picture,  than just the suburbs.

Hey

Mods and fellow contributors

This is a Gus knee thread - at least all of this page is totally derailed.

Fix....please

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, monoccular said:

Hey

Mods and fellow contributors

This is a Gus knee thread - at least all of this page is totally derailed.

Fix....please

Not derailed, subtly on topic.This thread and Gus' knee are in fact perfectly synchronised.

They should both be given a rest until round 1.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2016 at 2:50 PM, Curry & Beer said:

we all know full well  by now that it is standard practice for the club to blatantly lie about return dates so I will suggest about round 6 in the ones.

or it could be like Frost... "At this stage, it’ll be a four-to-six week injury," Mahoney said. .... 20 weeks later he wasn't even at Casey

Hate to agree with you on this one C&B but as you say, there's much that clubs don't tell us when they tell us what they want to tell us :huh:

Front and square here is the Club's desire to no doubt play the optimistic card in the hope of selling a few hundred extra memberships and keep the sponsors/coteries on the drip.

As per usual with all football announcements on such matters i'm taking this as another X file moment ie., the truth is out there (somewhere)! :ph34r:

Hoping for the best (4 to 6) but preparing for the worst (2nd half of season or beyond)

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wiseblood said:

Let's not get TOO carried away.  

I'm thinking he'll kick 10 against Essendrug.  Better? 

Definitely getting carried away now. More sensibly, I expect a minimum 400 goal thrashing. Clayton will bury Parish's face into the dirt after the opening bounce and T-Mac, Dunn & Garland will play stacks on with Daniher after he kicks 0.13 for the day.

Amusingly, Hird will be pelted with tomatoes by ASADA support staff while Tania silently takes notes from a distance, clad in sunglasses and black clothing.

Edited by SaberFang
  • Like 1