Training - Tuesday 9th February, 2016

Coup Cooper

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Weideman is a nice size and shape, moves, marks and kicks smoothly but I haven't seen him involved much in the match simulation. 

Hulett is a bit the same, he did the 9-7 stuff and got involved a few times but not nearly as much as others, no mistakes. I think his issue will be his tank.

I was impressed by both, and am still a White fan, although he was a bit fumbly today. I expect the half backs to be closer to a spot in the team than Viv, but if he's covering the ground well he could be picked. All 3 should be heavily involved in the NAB challenge.

ANB covered the ground really well, he kicks nicely when clear in space, his main weakness at this stage would be bombing it when under pressure. I'm keen to see how his tackling and disposal holds up in match day situations. On work rate and reading the play I think he's well placed and he's got the physique to stand up at AFL level.

Love your work DeeSpencer. Can you explain the reasoning behind the 9-7 ratio? I would have thought a more realistic gameday situation would be 7-9 (ie, 7 attackers to 9 defenders) not the other way around. I find it hardly surprising when the attacking team has two more players than the defenders that they can look good. I'd be disappointed if they didn't. Any idea why they practice in that way?

3 hours ago, beelzebub said:

I'm of a similar train of thinking :)

The idea that someone's twigged that the quickest way to move the ball is hard thinking LOW kicks to an awaiting teammate bodes well. 

Such new thinking :rolleyes:

With confidence will come many things you'd consider simple...

3 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Its almost like Dunny is egging them on while poor Wagner has no idea what the hell to do lol..

2 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

Isnt it nice to have  a list of competitive players? More of this please

Go Dees

I arrived just before 10 and saw Watts and Trac rolling the ball around the body, between the legs, behind the back, neck then handball. good drill. Then handball drills and boxing. Trac is a strong lad. He also has some choice comments for those around him. Watts had his quad taped.

Viney, god help anyone who gets in his way in a game. He has the skill, aggression  and position we need. Tmac was a little surprised by the intensity, Dunn was laughing. The sound of Tmac's head hitting the ground wasn't good. I was a little surprised by Viney going on with it. Its good to have some intensity and the boys are working on it.

Tmac was later on Hogan in the match simulation. It was like watching two greats go for it. Hogan's hands are really good, Tmac's stretch and positioning and strength are something to watch this year.

Oliver and Salem running laps.

I didn't see my son's favourite Bernie Vince out there, maybe I missed him.

It was different in match simulation from those who did well in drills. Captain Chunk was great in the sims with Gawn. Viney took the first two taps away, then Captain Chunk. Garlett has a switch that knows when to go. Dom Tyson is moving well, he has confidence and looked really good. First time I really saw White and liked his prospects for Round 1.

The low kicking in the forward line looked great. They hit the target without the forward deviating from the line too much. This was really exciting. Kicking to a lead.

ANB looks better than last year, more size and conditioning. Richie VB will dominate again, lock him in for round 1. he has learnt positioning and will only get better.

Dawes looks more comfortable leading up the ground, CHF and wing and centre. he has clean hands off the deck and the kick handball or kick is a good option for him. He also had the two young forwards with him on the side for about 20 mins showing them lead and mark.

The highlight of the session was seeing No.9 J.Trengove running and kicking. He participated in the full field drills and he still knows how to mark, kick and pick up a ball. He has bulked up and is learning to run with speed again. It was great to see!

Left around 11.30am, just before set shots.

Stretch left early.

There

• Like 19

Another snippet..

McCartney was asked by a track watcher on the boundary line how he thinks they'll go this year, his reply - "they'll be better than last year, they'll be better next year, and if you're not hard at it you won't be getting a game."

• Like 19

6 minutes ago, ProDee said:

Another snippet..

McCartney was asked by a track watcher on the boundary line how he thinks they'll go this year, his reply - "they'll be better than last year, they'll be better next year, and if you're not hard at it you won't be getting a game."

Sooo in other words Watts is screwed?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Love your work DeeSpencer. Can you explain the reasoning behind the 9-7 ratio? I would have thought a more realistic gameday situation would be 7-9 (ie, 7 attackers to 9 defenders) not the other way around. I find it hardly surprising when the attacking team has two more players than the defenders that they can look good. I'd be disappointed if they didn't. Any idea why they practice in that way?

Even numbers makes it difficult to move the ball, only have to watch a Melbourne game to know that. Think of how many stoppages and turnovers there are in a standard game, or how many contests. Giving an extra number to the defensive team would be near on impossible to move the ball. You'd go man on man and have a spare floating a kick ahead. 

9-7 gives a good chance to practice running to space and clean ball movement whilst making the 7 work hard and smart when defending. You have to zone when out numbered. If we are planning more zone on the back end of our defending this is good practice for it, and then come match day you'll have 2 extras at the contest. 

The point of the drill was to get fast ball movement up and transitioning back much more than it was to test it against even numbers, they do smaller drills, particularly by hand with even numbers, then train to run and spread and hopefully outnumber opponents in space.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, ManDee said:

This episode reminded me of a story told by Tommy Hafey not long before his passing. He was talking to us about resilience and of players who had been dumped by their clubs but resurrected their careers elsewhere. He spoke glowingly of Kevin Sheedy who came the Tigers after being told by the MFC that he wasn't up to it, this was when Norm was in charge by the way, too small and slow apparently. Anyway Sheedy showed up at Punt Road just as Tommy was trying to instill his high standards of fitness and toughness into his players. Sheedy was his best trainer and toughest man and he said he often turned the other way when Sheedy would get stuck into any player, physically who may have squibbed a tackle at training or in a match the previous week. Sounded very much like workplace bullying to me and Tommy would always claim to have not seen Sheedy roughing a team mate up, if they complained. The new toughness worked for the Tiges back then, let's hope Viney and others can make it work for us. Personally I like to see this physicality at training, we have been soft for too long. 

My worry is Gen Z are different beasts to the players of the 60's and 70's. The bullying may have to be done with a touch of empathy and with ample constructive feedback. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Earl Hood said:

This episode reminded me of a story told by Tommy Hafey not long before his passing. He was talking to us about resilience and of players who had been dumped by their clubs but resurrected their careers elsewhere. He spoke glowingly of Kevin Sheedy who came the Tigers after being told by the MFC that he wasn't up to it, this was when Norm was in charge by the way, too small and slow apparently. Anyway Sheedy showed up at Punt Road just as Tommy was trying to instill his high standards of fitness and toughness into his players. Sheedy was his best trainer and toughest man and he said he often turned the other way when Sheedy would get stuck into any player, physically who may have squibbed a tackle at training or in a match the previous week. Sounded very much like workplace bullying to me and Tommy would always claim to have not seen Sheedy roughing a team mate up, if they complained. The new toughness worked for the Tiges back then, let's hope Viney and others can make it work for us. Personally I like to see this physicality at training, we have been soft for too long. 

My worry is Gen Z are different beasts to the players of the 60's and 70's. The bullying may have to be done with a touch of empathy and with ample constructive feedback. 

Interesting bit of history there around Sheeds and Norm. Explains why Martian man has a bee in his bonnet about us lol.

22 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Interesting session. I watched from about 10:15 to 12:15

No Vince, Stretch, O Mc.

Watts, Petracca, Newton, Smith, Lumumba, Max King doing boxing only

Salem doing sprints and agility stuff ie. approx 50m timed runs and zig zag leading then marking. Nothing appeared taped or restricted. Oliver doing more distance/interval running and kick to kick with Crossy. He needs to work on his short kicking, the ball didn't come off his boot at all well today, maybe a combination of fatigue, technique changes etc.

calling it early. messed this pick up. a top 5 draft pick should at least be showing skills in preseason. have not seen one positive comment regarding olivers skill level so far. yes, hes hard at and a good size............