Training, Friday 18th December, 2015 (and BBQ)

Longsufferingnomore

1 hour ago, Soidee said:

I went along and great to see a decent crowd for December.  As for the hot weather......yes hot everyone, however with all the comments about heat, anyone would think we live in the African Desert.  It's Australia everybody!!!! It's summer !!!!! We live in a bloody hot country and why is everyone so damn surprised?

I woke up this morning and all the media outlets are telling us how to handle the heat.  FFS we are turning into a nanny society full of precious puppies.  Our ancestors felled forests in 40 degree summers without going home to aircon.  Pleeeeeeeeese

That's where all the shade went....

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

Caitlyn Jenner's got it easy thanks to this trail blazer. He took it on the chin. Beautiful singing voice too.

Headed to training with my 5 y/o daughter who loved meeting Jack Watt's and getting a photo with Jonesy.  Both of those are her favourites, and Jack in particular knows how to win the kids over.

Spent most of my time talking to my young one, so can't comment on the training per se, but have to make a special mention on Sam Weideman, who was having a chat when Todd Viney called him away.  He went out of his way to come and find me afterward to continue our chat.  He comes off as a very articulate, respectful kid who seems extremely happy to be at the Melbourne footy club.

• Like 18

3 hours ago, longsuffering said:

A very nice gesture by our fearless leader to come over to the BBQ and thank those Volunteers and Demon Army members for operating the BBQ.  He declined our offer of a sausage though!

Good to hear of Turnbull showing up. Hope he bought a truck load of merch

;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Soidee said:

Our ancestors felled forests in 40 degree summers without going home to aircon.

Yes, but back in those days it was measured in Fahrenheit :lol:

4 hours ago, Soidee said:

Our ancestors felled forests in 40 degree summers without going home to aircon.  

Yours might have...mine were from Cornwall on one side and Scotland on the other.

They probably didn't see 40 degrees in the bath (if they actually bathed...never can tell).

• Like 6

Dropped into training last morning and the sun was well and truly burning the yard arm. Th guys had a fair bit of sweat going. Its not any better today.

Gus and Spencer were wrestling at the opposite end. Goal shooting was happening and they were spread along the arc, Kent was revving the boys. Gawn was dropping them on his foot in a pretty good way, maybe we'll see of that next year. Kent looks fit and happy.

The guys look like a team with a good camaraderie. Salem is primed for a big season and without the expectation, should be a good one.

It was great to see quite a few people there. You can feel it changing, we are going to smash some teams next year.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Soidee said:

I went along and great to see a decent crowd for December.  As for the hot weather......yes hot everyone, however with all the comments about heat, anyone would think we live in the African Desert.  It's Australia everybody!!!! It's summer !!!!! We live in a bloody hot country and why is everyone so damn surprised?

I woke up this morning and all the media outlets are telling us how to handle the heat.  FFS we are turning into a nanny society full of precious puppies.  Our ancestors felled forests in 40 degree summers without going home to aircon.  Pleeeeeeeeese

I am just recently returned from Africa. With 52C in Kruger (National Park), I am sure the animals would all happily swap for yesterday's temperatures and the green grass of Gosch's Paddock!

The thing that excites me most about 2016 is just the upside in some of the players that weren't at their best or missed last year

Dom Tyson, imo at his best is a genuine A grader, if he gets back to his best next year it is a huge asset for us.

Jack Trengove, if he gets anywhere near his best it's another Angus Brayshaw, and the way he's moving at the moment, i'm optimistic 

Dean Kent, missed a good chunk, but i seriously rate this bloke, hard and tough, line breaker with genuine speed and knows how to sniff out a goal, genuine point of difference.

Christian Petracca, could have a Hogan-like influence if his training form is anything to go off

Jack Watts, i know alot won't agree with this, but i thought he had an extremely good patch of footy for a about 7 rounds in 2015 where he was hard, tackling, running hard and looked very much a player, i really think we can see that consistently this year and justify re-signing him.

Christian Salem, Kids a gun, a strong pre season and some midfield time and i think this is his year.

and then the newbies who all show good signs.

• Like 19

Did anyone get a chance to speak to RDB at the BBQ/ Training.

someone walking past muttered something along the lines of he's losing it.

I am presuming it may have had something to do with his memory.

7 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Did anyone get a chance to speak to RDB at the BBQ/ Training.

someone walking past muttered something along the lines of he's losing it.

I am presuming it may have had something to do with his memory.

I'm not sure RDB's state of health is really something for discussion on a forum, except to wish him well.

Respect is the word that comes to mind.

• Like 8

On 18 December 2015 at 5:55 PM, ChaserJ said:

Headed to training with my 5 y/o daughter who loved meeting Jack Watt's and getting a photo with Jonesy.  Both of those are her favourites, and Jack in particular knows how to win the kids over.

Spent most of my time talking to my young one, so can't comment on the training per se, but have to make a special mention on Sam Weideman, who was having a chat when Todd Viney called him away.  He went out of his way to come and find me afterward to continue our chat.  He comes off as a very articulate, respectful kid who seems extremely happy to be at the Melbourne footy club.

I know a lot on here don't listen to them but when The Weed starts doing some of his best work he will become a Tripple M favourite in no time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I'm not sure RDB's state of health is really something for discussion on a forum, except to wish him well.

Respect is the word that comes to mind.

I have nothing but respect for RDB, my question was related to his health.

If he is unwell I wish him well. I don't like supporters walking about muttering innuendo about his health.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

I have nothing but respect for RDB, my question was related to his health.

If he is unwell I wish him well. I don't like supporters walking about muttering innuendo about his health.

He said a few years ago he sadly has dementia. If you come across those supporters again maybe give them some advice on his condition and what respect might look like.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Cards13 said:

He said a few years ago he sadly has dementia. If you come across those supporters again maybe give them some advice on his condition and what respect might look like.

I wasn't aware of that.  Very sad, if true.

Great Man-there is no one here who would wish him anything but the best of luck.

Except for the bag snatchers on Fitzroy St .

• Like 4