Trade Radio Discussion

What

SEN reported this morning Carlisle has been offered $600-650K for 4 years at the Saints. ( makes our deal with Melksham look more than reasonable!)

Hawthorn couldn't come close to this with their salary cap, so Calisle wants to get to Saints.

However, Essendon want pick 5 which the Saints won't provide, as they have for the past 2 season traded players ( Goddard, McEvoy, Dal Santo) for picks. The won't give up high picks, so they won't reverse that policy now.

Both need a 3rd party involved

is it just me or does trade period make players that have potential seem like absolute superstars. This guys has played a handful of good games IMO
  • Like 2

I know a lot on here are disappointed with the players we seem to be targeting, and normally I would be as well to a degree.

The way I see it is that Roos is trying to get ahead of the game here, in regards to the reduced rotations and no sub rule. These changes mean players need to remain on the field longer, so Roos is looking for players that can rotate through the midfield/wing, but also hold up a position at HB/HF. So if you look at HB, we should end up with all of Melksham, Bugg (coming in), to add to Salem and H, and to a lesser degree Brayshaw, who can rotate between there and midfield (apologies if I've missed any - apart from Grimes who may or may not be on the way out). At HF I think this is where Kennedy comes in, to add to players like Kent, Garlett, perhaps Petracca, ANB etc. Melksham can also play as a small forward based on some of his highlights.

Some are calling it depth, but I'd rather call it versatility, as we're going to see some serious changes to % game time on field in 2016, and I think more than a few of the developing, middle of the road teams, could get caught out in 4th quarters with some very tired young players, being played in unfamiliar positions.

As for Melksham, I hated him at Essendon, but he's a Dee now, so all of a sudden I love the (not so) big man, get him up here, I wanna boof him!

I know a lot on here are disappointed with the players we seem to be targeting, and normally I would be as well to a degree.

The way I see it is that Roos is trying to get ahead of the game here, in regards to the reduced rotations and no sub rule. These changes mean players need to remain on the field longer, so Roos is looking for players that can rotate through the midfield/wing, but also hold up a position at HB/HF. So if you look at HB, we should end up with all of Melksham, Bugg (coming in), to add to Salem and H, and to a lesser degree Brayshaw, who can rotate between there and midfield (apologies if I've missed any - apart from Grimes who may or may not be on the way out). At HF I think this is where Kennedy comes in, to add to players like Kent, Garlett, perhaps Petracca, ANB etc. Melksham can also play as a small forward based on some of his highlights.

Some are calling it depth, but I'd rather call it versatility, as we're going to see some serious changes to % game time on field in 2016, and I think more than a few of the developing, middle of the road teams, could get caught out in 4th quarters with some very tired young players, being played in unfamiliar positions.

As for Melksham, I hated him at Essendon, but he's a Dee now, so all of a sudden I love the (not so) big man, get him up here, I wanna boof him!

His a Victorian, get him up here, I wanna boof him! (In 12th Man Bill Lawry voice)

10.38am: HAWKS COACH NOT EXPECTING CARLISLE TRADE

After Hawthorn made a remarkable bid to land to Jake Carlisle after several days of fruitless talks between Essendon and St Kilda, the key position player's future continues to remain up in the air.

While the Bombers said on Thursday afternoon they were committed to the Hawks' offer if they could get it over the line, four-time premiership coach Alastair Clarkson isn't expecting to have Carlisle on his books in 2016.

Clarkson, who - as one of three of Australia's coaches - announced the International Rules squad on Friday, said he still expected Carlisle to get to the Saints.

Edit:- WTF is going on?

Hawthorn made the offer not expecting it to get up (but prepared for it if it did). More about making sure the Saints pay than anything else.

How can Collingwood manage to get Aish, Howe and Treloar in one trade period?

I actually think they'll either end up missing out on Aish OR overpaying for him. I think Treloar and Howe will both end up there for deals that are close to spot on, but that doesn't leave them much wiggle room for the Lions who are still playing hard ball with him. That deal might fall through or the Lions squeeze something good out of them.

• Like 1

PLOUGH's list management on Melbourne: -

Where are they at? Difficult to read - massive fluctuations between best and worst.

Likes: - Hogan, Brayshaw, Viney, rates Kent and Tyson and Vandenberg.

Says list lacks depth thats why they fall away and why there is a huge gulf between best and worst.

Wonders about the transition of Roos to Goodwin in 2016.

Wonders how the dynamic between the playing group with Roos gets watered down because what is on the horizon.

Melbourne has improved by 8%, which amounts to 3 years to get to finals, there needs to be somewhere a rapid improvement.

There's signs of concerns, quality of players is down, they need to strengthen list, see some improvement (rapid) in next 18 month).

Need the likes of Oscar McDonald to succeed.

Forward line as a disaster apart from Hogan. Not much else, lacks class, needs quality injection.

Need class forwards, needs class kicking skill across middle of ground.

re: Trades- no issue with Kennedy, Disappointment that the 6 for 3 pick and Howe may not come to light.

Thinks kids will improve, but not sure club as a whole , thinks they will hold their ground on 2015 in 2016.

Can't see a quantum leap for 2016 in terms of performance.

Barrett says it's pretty bleak.

Then he says 4 minutes later he see's a bright future in a couple of years.

Doesn't think hunting down a few 21-24 year olds will go well for Melbourne.

Back tracking on Garlett having missed him out re: forward line.

Expecting good things from Kent, says we haven't seen it yet.

But need 3 top liners going through the forward line to be anything and says we haven't got that at Melbourne.

• Like 2

Terry Wallace on us:

• Big difference between the best and their worst
  • Young players look good - Hogan, Brayshaw, Salem, Tyson, Kent etc
  • List lacks depth, which is a factor in us falling away
  • Transition to Goodwin could complicate matters?
  • Improved by 8% percentage last year, would be 3 years to 100% percentage at this rate. Needs to improve.
  • Core mids in the future will be Viney, Brayshaw, Tyson, Kent & Petracca (once he gets a tank)
  • Forward line is a "unmitigated disaster"
  • Curnow would have been good for us, but doesn't think he'll be there at 6
  • Disappointed to see that the pick 6/3/Howe deal fell down
  • Has no doubt we will improve (due to the kids), but overall not looking too positive.
  • If we improve by 8% again we will finish in the same ladder position
  • Best players are probably 21 and under, will take them at least 3 years to get going
Edited by Seraph

- inconsistent

- huge positives, hogan, viney, brayshaw, Gawn, Salem etc

- list still lacks depth, is the reason for inconsistency

- Goodwin will begin taking over this year

- percent improved, but needs to happen more rapidly

- scoring needs to improve

- uncertain on where we will be at end of season

- led by Viney and brayshaw in the future

- sees petracca as a high half forward, moving into the middle

- club needs frost and Oscar to succeed

- needs to recruit/trade in more players who can kick

- forward line a disaster

- hogan, Garlett the only decent forwards, maybe petracca

- curnow won't be there at pick 6

- looking at bugg, Kennedy

- loss of Howe not a big deal

- no doubt that we will improve, but unsure whether we will actually move forward as a club (on the ladder)

- prediction for next year: no movement (I.e. 13th)

- improvement will come in 2017, once Roos has moved on