Harley Bennell

GawnWithTheWind

I recall Darling had baggage at the time, and many didn't do their homework.

This kid is a jet. I'd back those in charge now to make the right call.

How is this point even relevant?

Darling was a Junior with an alleged poor attitude.

Bennell is a player who's been in the system for 4 years, has obvious talent, but has also been suspended for boozing, had his picture spread all over the national media inhaling lines of whiz and now arguing with nightclub bouncers.

We're not drafting a junior here with debatable attitude issues.

We're looking at trading for a seasoned player with major behavioural problems.

Apples with apples, please!

And look how that ended - they stopped talking to one another and Hall was shipped to the Dogs!

True. However before the relationship broke down, they had some extremely successful years together. Hall played a key role in the Swans' success under Roos, and doubt they have regrets on recruiting him.

The no d-heads policy doesn't necessarily mean someone like Hall or Bennell gets ruled out. The test is whether the teams leadership and culture can keep that player focused on playing within the teams rules. If the feeling is the player in question just won't buy in and isn't prepared to integrate, then they won't be brought in.

I personally think Roos likes taking on troubled players and seeing them become better people. He has form here. Garlett and Lumumba both were brought in when the footballing community in general felt they weren't worth the risk.

Edited by ChaserJ
  • Like 2

Darling was a Junior with an alleged poor attitude.

Bennell is a player who's been in the system for 4 years, has obvious talent, but has also been suspended for boozing, had his picture spread all over the national media inhaling lines of whiz and now arguing with nightclub bouncers.

We're not drafting a junior here with debatable attitude issues.

We're looking at trading for a seasoned player with major behavioural problems.

Apples with apples, please!

Spot on McQ. Annoys me to hear Bennell compared to both Darling and Martin. Also dislike the comparison to Gartlet. He might have had some issues but he wasn't in the Bennell class.

The thing that worries me as much as anything about Bennell is his actions have been stupid. Take drugs? Well not smart as an AFL player but it happens. Not ensuring an incriminating photo is deleted from the camera or phone? Dumb. Getting kicked of a junior tour? Dumb. Getting on the turps against team rules? Again probably happens all the time. Doing so in public? Dumb.

And this last indiscretion - the dumbest of all. Your coach bans Mad Monday and publicly says it will be a clam off season. His vice captain reinforces this. What do you do? Get on the [censored] and allow yourself to get baited by a meat head bouncer. Dumb. Costs him his contract at the Suns and probably 150K per annum of his next contract. Dumb.

Should we chase him? I'm not convinced our culture is robust enough to deal with another dumb footballer with issues. But i'll back Roos et al to do so if they do get him. One thing is for sure and certain. Our biggest issue is our lack of midfield class and as someone said earlier this call is risk v reward. I keep thinking about that game a couple of years back where he destroyed us at the G. I recall thinking then that he is just what we lack.

Dangerfield and a switched on settled Bennell would certainly give us a boost.

Edited by binman
  • Like 1

Spot on McQ. Annoys me to hear Bennell compared to both Darling and Martin. Also dislike the comparison to Gartlet. He might have had some issues but he wasn't in the Bennell class.

The thing that worries me as much as anything about Bennell is his actions have been stupid. Take drugs? Well not smart as an AFL player but it happens. Not ensuring an incriminating photo is deleted from the camera or phone? Dumb. Getting kicked of a junior tour? Dumb. Getting on the turps against team rules? Again probably happens all the time. Doing so in public? Dumb.

And this last indiscretion - the dumbest of all. Your coach bans Mad Monday and publicly says it will be a clam off season. His vice captain reinforces this. What do you do? Get on the [censored] and allow yourself to get baited by a meat head bouncer. Dumb. Costs him his contract at the Suns and probably 150K per annum of his next contract. Dumb.

Should we chase him? I'm not convinced our culture is robust enough to deal with another dumb footballer with issues. But i'll back Roos et al to do so if they do get him. One thing is for sure and certain. Our biggest issue is our lack of midfield class and as someone said earlier this call is risk v reward. I keep thinking about that game a couple of years back where he destroyed us at the G. I recall thinking then that he is just what we lack.

Expecting a little bit too much, I think.

Some posters are saying we should not chase him because our culture isn't strong enough. While I understand that viewpoint I would think that with things finally stable off field atthe club and with Paul Roos, PJ and Brendan McCartney on board, we are in a better position than ever to bring in someone like Bennell. He will get all the right support.

Edited by hogans_heroes
  • Like 1

It's relevant where baggage is concerned!

Sure, they differ. But it's about whether or not the club is willing to do homework, and whether they think they have the resources (leadership, etc) to give a bloke a chance!

Geelong did with Stevie J - and how many indiscretions did he have? He was on a last chance....speeding, attitude behavioural issues, professionalism?? Yet Geelong backed him. You've even started a thread wanting him at the tender twilight age of retirement!

Like I said, this kid is a jet, we know what he can produce at AFL level, he's done it. I'll back the club in whether or not they go after him - after they've done their homework!

• Like 2

Maybe he was thinking of different clam :)

I really hope we're doing our homework on Bennell and would love for us to take a punt on him if he isn't too much of a basket case, but I wouldn't let pick 6 even enter the conversation. Not even if we got Bennell and pick 19.

Would be happy to discuss Howe / Watts / 2nd rounder / 3rd rounder or a combination of these, but no way on earth should we be risking pick 6 on a bloke who is quite possibly one big night away from a spell on the sidelines.

The top 10 is where the cream is and we should be adding another elite youngster to Hogan, Brayshaw, Viney, Petracca, Salem, Gawn etc. If a Prestia or Treloar had've been available then fine, but pick 6 should not be on the table at all for Bennell IMO.

I actually read a rather sensible opinion on Big Footy (of all places).

Howe + pick 6 to GC for Bennell + end of 1st round.

End of 1st round + 2nd round to GWS for their 1st round. Due to their Academy players, this is actually a good thing for them, as given the points system, pick 19 + pick 25 > pick 8.

Essentially: Howe + 25? + 6? for Bennell +8?. Sounds like a good deal to me.

• Like 2

I actually read a rather sensible opinion on Big Footy (of all places).

Howe + pick 6 to GC for Bennell + end of 1st round.

End of 1st round + 2nd round to GWS for their 1st round. Due to their Academy players, this is actually a good thing for them, as given the points system, pick 19 + pick 25 > pick 8.

Essentially: Howe + 25? + 6? for Bennell +8?. Sounds like a good deal to me.

I would definitely go with something like that as it covers our ass with the ability to still get a good youngster in via the draft.

Plus with the relatively weak draft we may only want to use one or two picks and use the rest to upgrade rookies and possibly Jake Lovett with a late pick.

Last year GWS offered pick 7 for Howe in a stronger draft.

They made such an offer not because Howe was worth that but because he has an ability to execute one of the most exciting skills of the game better than anyone else I have seen.

His marking abilities excite the crowd like few other individual acts.

It is perfect for either of the new franchises to help excite their lifeless crowds and so Howe is perfect for either of these creations.

Bennell, potentially great player, potential three strikes victim who is bringing bad press to the Suns who could desperately do without it. A player that they have backed themselves into a corner with. If the Suns don't trade him, they will have to delist him, pay out his contract and watch him enter the PSD. He is a player a new club would be taking a big risk with.

Howe might not get close to Bennell when it comes to overall ability, but a swap of Howe for Bennell is a fair trade IMO, one in which both clubs are taking a risk but in which both clubs could win from the trade

• Like 7

It's relevant where baggage is concerned!

Sure, they differ. But it's about whether or not the club is willing to do homework, and whether they think they have the resources (leadership, etc) to give a bloke a chance!

Geelong did with Stevie J - and how many indiscretions did he have? He was on a last chance....speeding, attitude behavioural issues, professionalism?? Yet Geelong backed him. You've even started a thread wanting him at the tender twilight age of retirement!

Like I said, this kid is a jet, we know what he can produce at AFL level, he's done it. I'll back the club in whether or not they go after him - after they've done their homework!

I'm not disagreeing with your thoughts about how the club would/should be doing its due diligence.

The comparison to Darling was pointless and it was use as the basis of your argument.

I think the Club believes our indigenous leadership is strong - both Jetta and Garlett are well respected off field.

Hence the presence of the Krakouer brothers at training the other day.

Whispers are strong that Bennell is Demon bound.

I... LOVE IT! Hope you're right.

• Like 2

My update as of today is boys he is on fookin very dodgey ground but not likely fro any major ramifications or as Whispering and other legal people would understand "Not in the public interest"

But FMD needs to do the following

Wake the fook up

Chose his friends a bit more wisely

Only mix with people who ride pedal motorcycles

and FFS dont...... fook I'll leave it there or I'll be screwed

So he will escape again but he is on very thin ice, over to the footy department to say No or back themselves

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 3