POST MATCH DISCUSSION - Round 16

Demonland

Ah yes, the umpiring was poor. That 50 against JKH is something they never pay anymore, happens basically every game and goes uncalled. As for the genuine attempt thing, most of the time that's pretty much the umpire guessing. I saw Casey yesterday and the umpire just balls it off when a player has the ball pinned to him rather than showboating and using jargon. Do they ever point out what a genuine attempt actually is? They just decide to call it holding the ball when they've waiting too long to whistle for a ball up, it's stupid

Why the umpires wait ages at a stoppage for the ball to pop out when it's clear to any half baked moron[quote nam

Ah yes, the umpiring was poor. That 50 against JKH is something they never pay anymore, happens basically every game and goes uncalled. As for the genuine attempt thing, most of the time that's pretty much the umpire guessing. I saw Casey yesterday and the umpire just balls it off when a player has the ball pinned to him rather than showboating and using jargon. Do they ever point out what a genuine attempt actually is? They just decide to call it holding the ball when they've waiting too long to whistle for a ball up, it's stupid

Oops , I've F d that up.

• Like 3

A win's a win, but i doubt that performance would have beaten anyone but brisbane. Now the players full of confidence from this "amazing" win will go in cocky against the saints as usual and get pounded. The saints are playing so much better than us it's not funny.

Don't worry too much. Richmond started to coast and it showed on the scoreboard. They were obviously looking to their clash with the Weagles.

They play Freo, and Freo me owes after a few weeks back. Edited by Al's Demons

The game on Fox didn't show our disciplined structures.

There were no options for the Lions going forward, there was incredible pressure on the ball carrier and we blanketed their much lauded midfield.

If the same discipline is applied against the Saints (who love the corridor, btw) another win will ensue.

• Like 6

Hogan's run up to kick for goal is bizarre. He's young enough for a change to be taught to him by a good forward coach or a former star full forward.

Yes,Hogan has been in the system 3 years and can't even kick the ball 45 metres, massive flaw in his game, a few stutters, a sideways glance at the ball, it floats in the general direction but has no force, you would have thought some genius on the coaching staff may have noticed that Hogan can not even carry out the most basic rudimentary action of a forward, being able to carry the ball via foot from the 50 metre line.

The game on Fox didn't show our disciplined structures.

There were no options for the Lions going forward, there was incredible pressure on the ball carrier and we blanketed their much lauded midfield.

If the same discipline is applied against the Saints (who love the corridor, btw) another win will ensue.

I think Jade Rawlings importance is underrated- he has got the backline performing well as a unit and all the players speak very highly of him. A quiet achiever.

• Like 6

re holding the ball: It's true that any player who doesn't pretend to make an effort to get rid of the ball or throw himself into pretend spasms if his arms are completely pinned should be blasted by the coach for giving the umpires the option to award a free kick after tossing his coin. However it is frankly a bad look for the game to see such B-grade acting week after week. The AFL needs to have a little think.

re a good team would have beaten us: um, yes. Generally a good team beats a weaker team.

We won. They were at full strength after some good performances. We kicked as badly as them. They may not have even had a sniff if not for their dubious/wrong goal gifts from the umps.

re if we were a better team we would have buried them: sure. If we were even better we'd win the flag. One step at a time. A win is a win and a darned sight better than some of the gloomy predictions posted on this forum.

re it was the worst game /skills"I've ever watched": You haven't been watching enough games recently.

Edited by sue
  • Like 2

I think Jade Rawlings importance is underrated- he has got the backline performing well as a unit and all the players speak very highly of him. A quiet achiever.

Cross was very glowing of Rawlings:

"We’ve got some real chemistry going down there....“Jade is doing a terrific job with us, but we’re taking over that group now and coming up with vision and looking at other teams and how we want to perform as a unit – not just as individual.

This sounds like the back six are taking ownership and leadership of themselves and coming up with their own work, research, tactics and not rely on the coach (Rawlings) to have all the ideas...a real sign of team maturity. This is where the real benefit of experienced players, with the right attitude, who have played in successful (finals) teams kicks in. Lumumba and Cross will leave a legacy far more than we can see on any game day.

• Like 8

One thing that we have improved on is tackling.

This was the difference today.

In general skills we were crapola.

Tackling is better but so is the non-tackling ie: when we hold off from comitting to the tackle to try:

- and avoid a player dishing the ball off

- tackling too high or infringing

Seems to be a lot more 'corralling" to avoid the over the top handballs...

• Like 1

Yes,Hogan has been in the system 3 years and can't even kick the ball 45 metres, massive flaw in his game, a few stutters, a sideways glance at the ball, it floats in the general direction but has no force, you would have thought some genius on the coaching staff may have noticed that Hogan can not even carry out the most basic rudimentary action of a forward, being able to carry the ball via foot from the 50 metre line.

You still here goose? That you had shrivelled up and moved on...

re holding the ball: It's true that any player who doesn't pretend to make an effort to get rid of the ball or throw himself into pretend spasms if his arms are completely pinned should be blasted by the coach for giving the umpires the option to award a free kick after tossing his coin. However it is frankly a bad look for the game to see such B-grade acting week after week. The AFL needs to have a little think.

re a good team would have beaten us: um, yes. Generally a good team beats a weaker team.

We won. They were at full strength after some good performances. We kicked as badly as them. They may not have even had a sniff if not for their dubious/wrong goal gifts from the umps.

re if we were a better team we would have buried them: sure. If we were even better we'd win the flag. One step at a time. A win is a win and a darned sight better than some of the gloomy predictions posted on this forum.

re it was the worst game /skills"I've ever watched": You haven't been watching enough games recently.

Careful sue, logic and reason get a mixed reception here, particularly after game day.
  • Like 1

Yes, it was an ugly win but why are so many people complaining?

Haven't we had enough ugly losses to last 10 lifetimes! I thought Cross summed it up well:

“Winning ugly and winning pretty – it doesn’t matter, four points is exactly what we’re after.”

Cross added the education from this win will be invaluable for the emerging Demons.

“We’ll learn from it again and the coach (Paul Roos) has been great at educating us through the week, whether we win or whether we lose.

Would imagine this (ugly) win will be great for player's morale, confidence and experience.

Belief will build, the pretty wins will come.

Like others on here, I will take any win we get

• Like 2

You can only beat the opposition you're facing. We beat Geelong not that long ago. We're doing ok.

Sigh, wish people would read my entire first post and at least try to glean what I'm getting at. Happy with the win' beat Geelong at Geelong. we have the ability' its the going into the shell and trying to play safe footy that is my worry' brings us down time after time

Because he's gone, od - haven't you heard? Get with the pace, son!

That may well be but we cannot acknowledge a good game?

Oh by the way thanks for the "son" have not heard that for a long time.

• Like 1

Yes, it was an ugly win but why are so many people complaining?

Haven't we had enough ugly losses to last 10 lifetimes! I thought Cross summed it up well:

“Winning ugly and winning pretty – it doesn’t matter, four points is exactly what we’re after.”

Cross added the education from this win will be invaluable for the emerging Demons.

“We’ll learn from it again and the coach (Paul Roos) has been great at educating us through the week, whether we win or whether we lose.

Would imagine this (ugly) win will be great for player's morale, confidence and experience.

Belief will build, the pretty wins will come.

Like others on here, I will take any win we get

Yep Roos anf Buckley discussed this on 360 after the Saints loss - sometimes you can get the lesson but still get the points, in this instance we got the points but there's still plenty of learnings to come out of the game.

The Queen's Bday game was a far superior spectacle but we lost. I'll take the 4 points any day thanks.

• Like 5

Losing any game is far more ugly than the ugliest win. I take an ugly win everytime and the more the better. That is our lot at the moment.

You have my agreement, Very little anger this morning

• Like 1

Yep Roos anf Buckley discussed this on 360 after the Saints loss - sometimes you can get the lesson but still get the points, in this instance we got the points but there's still plenty of learnings to come out of the game.

The Queen's Bday game was a far superior spectacle but we lost. I'll take the 4 points any day thanks.

Speaking of which Dr 1st August could be interesting with no Clioke.

• Like 1