Post Match Discussion - Round 15

Demonland

I take some heart out of last quarter comeback - previous years would have thrown in the cards at three quarter time. For all his knockers I thought Watts last quarter was great.

Poor kicking, poor decision making but really I think it was lost at selection. Don't know how you can carry stretch, ANB and Harmes in same team. Too many kids learning their craft at the same time.

• Like 3

Just want to single out one player. Max Gawn. One of the worst performances I can remember up against a nobody. His dinky little flicks over the back to Essendon players was the low light for me of a thoroughly pathetic day for this football club. One that still manages to surprise me (I dunno how), with its ineptness.

Was our best in the second hAlf but whatevs.

Here's some statistical evidence on the main problem today:

Garlett, Viney, Vince, Jones, Brayshaw, Howe.

What do they have in common? ALL of them had LESS than 60% disposal efficiency today. That's a pretty important group of players as far as disposal goes.

Lets face it stuie most of our players were shite!

There really wasn't any player (except Gawn) who won their position.

Basically the whole team let us down!!

Crap result for a team that played like crap!

• Like 1

How's the coaching career Hirdy? Resurrected you say. A 9 point win against a spiritless, ill disciplined, slow, poorly skilled rabble with a midfield that can't win despite a dominant ruckman, full of other clubs caste offs none of whom add anything, and relying on one poor bastard to win it from both forward and back. Think again old son. Enjoy this week though.

• Like 1

there you go again lionheart

cue a big win next week and dazzle talking dynasties

Talking dynasties LOL considering i was the one saying after the NAB cup loss against the bummers we would be bottom 4 atleast.

[censored] off parrot

Edited by dazzledavey36

Was our best in the second hAlf but whatevs.

He dominated. Good sign. The only one in fact.

I don't think there are any possible excuses today.

Too many kids? They had heaps.

Tired from Darwin? They got smashed by 110 points last weekend.

A few injuries? They have more.

I think this feels worse than when they flogged us a few years back as there is no way in hell we should have lost this game of football.

We've gone from beating Geelong and 'turning a corner' to losing to half a Bombers side on our home turf. I just don't even know what to think anymore.

Yep no excuses. That was a seriously pathetic effort.

Until our players learn that you need to work hard every single week and not just when you feel like it (vs Suns, Tigers, Dogs and Cats) we will never be a good team. Essendon players wanted it more today that's all there is to it.

And again, the friggin loose man killed us!

• Like 1

We would have won easily if we'd kicked straight and Daniher had been his usual self. Against Geelong we kicked 18.5 today it was 7.18. Most underrated stat in the game.

I never expected it to be a formality, so I'm not as upset as others. But I hate Essendon with a passion, and we should have won, so it's terribly disappointing none-the-less.

we kicked about 4 on the full too

• Like 2

Too Many just expect it to happen. Did they really not think Essendon would come out fighting.

Yep this. It's been happening ever since I've been supporting this club (28 years). Drop gimme games because they're mentally soft.

Edited by Dr. Gonzo
  • Like 2

The third quarter was an unmitigated disgrace from the entire side - midfield, forwards, defenders, coaches. Essendon have struggled all year to transition the ball and to kick goals and we conceded 6 while kicking just one.

However, we were the better side in the second and fourth quarters, we dominated general play and the stoppages, we generated more inside 50s and more scoring shots (those two quarters combined, we kicked 5.11 to 3.3. That's 16 scoring shots to 6 to the Punt Road end). We should have led the game by 20+ points at half time, despite playing average. We didn't, and then we played the worst quarter of football we've played all year in the third.

Our forward pressure was non-existent. Part of this is Hogan's fault, as his second efforts weren't good enough today. He was, though, beaten by an AA defender in Hurley so cut him some slack there. Baguley towelled Garlett up and they rebounded too easily.

Our biggest problem though was the inertia through the middle. We were far too slow - not in a legspeed sense, although that wasn't great either, but a ball movement sense. We have some incredibly slow decision makers, none worse than Garland, who continually assesses every single option, twice, until he eventually turns it over.

We rushed our kicks forward, we kick it too long and too high too often. Vince, Cross, Viney and Garland were all guilty of appalling field passes. Jones didn't really break his tag.

Essendon had a lot of kids, sure, but their senior players are better than ours (despite last week) and they stood up as needed - Goddard, Hurley, Hooker, Baguley, Hibberd, Stanton, even Heppell was quite but lifted at points. Meanwhile we had passengers all over the place (ANB and Stretch looked cooked, poor old Harmes had an incredibly forgettable debut, Hogan and Garlett struggled to get into it, and JKH did nothing when he got his chance).

Credit to McDonald for fighting hard in the fourth to try to make something happen. Also thought Jetta was outstanding today. Not sure what else excited though.

• Like 8

It is good to win money by backing Essendon,thanks ladbrokes for the wonderful odds. De-listings should include assistant coaches,ruck coach and President,perhaps it is time to get JEFF. Our experience "c" grade player i.e DAWES,WATTS need to [censored] off they are

useless.Roos should take a huge pay cut,failed to meet the brief……. an excellant underachiever at best. This crap club wants supporters to pay for trash run around,give me a break!

No, he is a spud.

Kicking 5.0 straight against Melbourne doesn't make you any less of a spud. Evidently, *only* doing it against Melbourne makes you *more* of a spud.

Absolute BS he was awesome today. Took several huge pack grabs and kicked them from everywhere. Hogan failed to do similar.

• Like 2

No excuses here, players thought they had this game won yesterday & didn't turn up for 2 out of 4 qtrs. The Dons are garbage & today we fell short because of low intensity & Hogan playing crap (although he is a kid & the rest of team should've been able to kick straight & cover him). I reckon a few blokes only woke up in the 4th qtr!!! We found ways to lose this game. Tyson and several others need to lift, too few really working hard both ways in the middle & our youth (apart from Hogan) was solid if not spectacular. Dawes in the team was a mistake today imo, we could've used a Riley type to help win more clearance & take more advantage of Gawn's dominance.

Edited by thevil1

When am I going to be able to go to work on a Monday with a smile on my face about the Demons ON A REGULAR BASIS?

I want to stick with this ONCE proud club but something is just not clicking. Again I had to tell my kids the Demons lost and I just feel like crying.

Edited by inanunda

Just want to single out one player. Max Gawn. One of the worst performances I can remember up against a nobody. His dinky little flicks over the back to Essendon players was the low light for me of a thoroughly pathetic day for this football club. One that still manages to surprise me (I dunno how), with its ineptness.

Agreed. He should've had a plethora of effective hit outs today, I'd be surprised if he had more than a handful. Dawes was actually better in the ruck when he went in, we should've subbed out Gawn for JKH.

• Like 1

desperation

TMAC fwd worked , he provided a contest and even kicked a miracle goal

like Cloke weeks earlier, Danihers kicks a straight bag..

nothing went right..

posters..

so frustrated

clearly outplayed them despite horrendous 3/4

ungh

• Like 1