Changes vs Essendon

titan_uranus

I just watched a replay of the West Coast game and it is hard to remember any situation where Matt Jones disposals impacted. More often than not they were turnovers. It was in sharp contrast to Billy Stretch who is a great decision maker.

Bernie Vince has shown you can be a run with player and accumulate possessions that count. Viney is in the same mould - a really beauty. Now that we have a greater core of players to choose from surely Jones has to go, likewise Bail. As much as I have stood up for the Toump I have to concede his turnovers are terrible and happen far too often.

Jack Watts use of the ball is top class and he looks so much more comfortable out there..

I doubt the selectors will persist with the 2 rucks, it was a dismal failure against West Coast.

Howe is a passenger and has been all year.

Those in line for omission are M Jones, Bail, Spencer, Howe and Toumpas.

I think Lamumba, JKH, Grimes and maybe Vanders, if fit or Harmes will come in.

• Like 3

The weather will be awful so it will literally be about who wants it more.

I've felt anxious all week thinking about this match. It's the exact type of match Melbourne always loses; the one where every cosmic shred of sense dictates we should win but they find a way to break the hearts of supporters. One need only remember Zaharakis's goals in the dying minutes of last year's match to know how dangerous they can be.

If we only win one more game this year, please be this one.

• Like 2

...Jack Watts use of the ball is top class and he looks so much more comfortable out there..

He's just put together the best 4 week block I've seen from him, but let's hope the selectors keep one eye on the weather; as Watts is the worst wet-weather footballer in the history of the game.

• Like 1

He's just put together the best 4 week block I've seen from him, but let's hope the selectors keep one eye on the weather; as Watts is the worst wet-weather footballer in the history of the game.

He's not going to be dropped just because of the weather though. From memory he performed well against the Tigers.

• Like 1

One need only remember Zaharakis's goals in the dying minutes of last year's match to know how dangerous they can be.

Dude.. I remember Salem dobbing the winner and us surviving a Zaha-lead scare very late. We won the match. This is MFCSS at it's most pure. I totally get (and have purported myself) how much of a danger game this is but let's not get crazy. Over the last 5 weeks we have shown far better form than this mob and that's why we will get the job done. Part of me is scared, but a much larger part thinks we are going to smash them.. dare I say there is een the chance of a complete slaughter in our favour

• Like 3

Dude.. I remember Salem dobbing the winner and us surviving a Zaha-lead scare very late. We won the match. This is MFCSS at it's most pure. I totally get (and have purported myself) how much of a danger game this is but let's not get crazy. Over the last 5 weeks we have shown far better form than this mob and that's why we will get the job done. Part of me is scared, but a much larger part thinks we are going to smash them.. dare I say there is een the chance of a complete slaughter in our favour

We accomplished the single best passage of play last year to get that win. I certainly haven't forgotten it but neither would the Bombers.

Would be interesting to know the last time we started favourites and actually won, other than some pointless GWS match in their inaugural year.

I don't think anyone was confident pre-game about any of our wins this year so any game that appears a shoe-in should be approached with great trepidation. I'd certainly rather it wasn't in wet weather; we've demonstrated we can be high scoring while the Bombers have no effective forwards (Carlisle injured, Daniher... is Daniher). The wet weather probably works in their favour as it could become a grind (ala Brisbane v Fremantle where the Lions almost got the chocolates).

Edited by Lamashtu

We accomplished the single best passage of play last year to get that win. I certainly haven't forgotten it but neither would the Bombers.

Would be interesting to know the last time we started favourites and actually won, other than some pointless GWS match in their inaugural year.

I don't think anyone was confident pre-game about any of our wins this year so any game that appears a shoe-in should be approached with great trepidation. I'd certainly rather it wasn't in wet weather; we've demonstrated we can be high scoring while the Bombers have no effective forwards (Carlisle injured, Daniher... is Daniher). The wet weather probably works in their favour as it could become a grind (ala Brisbane v Fremantle where the Lions almost got the chocolates).

Can't see anyone for Essendon standing up during the wet weather (Goddard, Zaharakis, Stanton aren't exactly known for their contested footy). Heppell may be a chance, which is why he should receive the hard tag. Otherwise, I can't see where we will lose (if we show up).

Edited by Moneider96

Can't see anyone for Essendon standing up during the wet weather (Goddard, Zaharakis, Stanton aren't exactly known for their contested footy). Heppell may be a chance, which is why he should receive the hard tag. Otherwise, I can't see where we will lose (if we show up).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Goddard have a big match on Saturday. I'd like to see Vince go to him and Viney to Heppell.

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised to see Goddard have a big match on Saturday. I'd like to see Vince go to him and Viney to Heppell.

Id prefer Vince to Heppell, Viney to Zaharakis

If we want to tag Goddard, use Crossy

They will tag Jonesy and Dom

Angus, Heritier , Wattsy, Jeffy will then go head to head with their hacks.. we should have a big advantage there

We are yet to achieve this in my mind.. we win, but we never slaughter and this is the one game all year where we should..

I actually think in a weird way they may be better for it.. they lose a tall bring in a small, and get morte run than they normally have.. Same with Watson, hes been playing injured so not moving well at all, hes gone and a second runner may come in..

Hope we do win by 40+ points = very happy.. but any win makes me happy! Go Dees!

according to the hun only daniel andrews and the kiss of death have picked the bummers

otoh the winning margin predicted by the other punters was mostly less than 20 points with many less than a goal

Fairly accurate IMO dc.

I have no confidence at all. It's been shot for years. After their loss they will be fuming and will come out firing!

Our loss is so normal it won't change anything.

We beat Geelong, in Geelong, at Enright's 300th game. Is that not enough to give you some confidence?

It is looking to be pretty bad weather.

If that is the case, I would rest both Spencer and Gawn, bring in Jamar, drop the younger,lighter bodies and Matt Jones and bring in the stronger bodies of Michie, Riley and even Jordie.

If it is a hard slog, you need the stronger bodied, wet weather players.

• Like 1

.. dare I say there is even the chance of a complete slaughter in our favour

I'd like to see that!

• Like 1

SEN just announced that Harmes has been elevated to the seniors list.

A sure hint that he will be selected! :rolleyes:

Wish him well for his debut.

• Like 8

Paul Roos media conference: James Harmes has been elevated from rookie to senior list

Roos: Harmes is in the mix to play against the Bombers

Roos: It will be a medical call on Angus Brayshaw - he has to get through training at Casey Fields

Roos: Aaron vandenBerg will be assessed at training - and a decision will be made later if he plays AFL or VFL

0 retweets0 favorites

Retweet

Favorite

More

• Like 3

Just watched the highlight of ladt year's match

Great last Q fightback

Loved Jordie's two precision handballs in that last passage, and Salem's composure - even though in Derwayn's call he wasn't even an option for that last pass.

Reminded me also of what an awful commentator Derwayn is. 'His greatest moment ' keeps coming from his mouth. And his blatant barracking for the Druggists. Awful.

• Like 1