Changes vs Eagles

bandicoot

What some people think - Brings ball to ground

Reality - Can't mark the bloody thing

What some people think - His leading patterns create space

Reality - He's a 700k a year decoy player

We are blessed aren't we. Suddenly everyone's a star again after a win. He holds his place for now but I'd rather Pedo, he's more versatile and actually marks the ball.

He is paid that because at the time we had no forwards and had to pay overs to get one.

I imagine his next contract will be a lot lower than that so we can spend more money on guys like Hogan and Brayshaw.

I think people need to get over what Dawes was signed on.

• Like 3

Great report Pennant

Hope you are enjoying analysing an improved team and hope you are right that they back up and dont rest on their laurels.

I wrote that klast week was the line in the sand moment and i followed with this week they may must not step back and if t6o be denied must be pushed back over the line.

Curry you are a desperado. Just sit back, relax and enjoy curry & beer this weekend.

I love the bye, I feel so much more relaxed coming into this weekend. I wish we could have bi-weekly games. This would avoid my weekly mood swings.

c'mon ernest, it's the perfect excuse to drink

I reckon you are right about this. Well at least the bit about making a contest and bringing it to ground. Despite his deficiencies, I like Dawes in the side. He does lead up the ground, does provide a target and takes defenders with him. I also like his defensive skills and aggression at the opponent.

I'm with you here, but I think we should play the two ruckman against West Coast. I'd consider bringing Dawesy back for the Essendon game. I think we have to be strategic in terms of our set up and take into account who our opposition is. As Roosy alluded to in his post match conference, the two rucks won't work every week, but I don't think we're any chance against West Coast unless we play two ruckmen. The following week we can go with Dawes or Pedo instead of Spencer. Edited by AdamFarr

why drop spencer played well against cats,we need his size and strengh against their big blokes fitzy gets pushed off the ball to easy

Spencer is also really aggressive, which I like. I'd drop Dawes for this game.

I would much rather PIG DOG than BAIL ANYDAY!

I also cannot believe how many on this site want Fitzpatrick in the team! He is NQR as a forward, or defender, or ruck!

I think we are being too negative here. How about getting into wet toasts minds by thinking wow the Dees have Gawn, Spencer, Hogan and Dawes to contend with! Do we have the height to match them??

One other consideration our mids and in an under's were superb last week! Add the multidimensional talents of Howe, the outside run of Toumpas, Stretch and the x factor of Neal Bullen then as I suggested we only need to make 1 change HENCE HOGAN if fit for BAIL!

Pig Dog the spare in an under to keep. M Jones to sub!

You've gotta remember that there will be slippery conditions. Playing Gawn, Hogan and resting Spencer forward is already cramping that forwardline, to add Dawes we'll be too tall. Not to mention, talls may find it hard to pluck marks in those conditions. Of course, perhaps we don't need to mark as many, as long as our forwards bring the ball to ground.

I love this bring the ball to the ground. It is as if gravity didn't exist.

They are stopping an opposition mark, that is all or in Dawes case dropping a mark and the ball falls using gravity to the ground. AMAZING!

• Like 3

I think the only potential outs from such an impressive win, where pretty much everyone played their part, would be Bail/the Toump and/or Pig Dog. Probably keep pig dog for his scrapping ability around stoppages to cover in case we lose a mid early. Grimes in for Bail if he was fit. Keep a winning team's changes to the bare minimum is my motto. They will take more confidence from seeing the same heads/bodies around them than seeing 2, 3 or more new faces every other week.

As for the match ups/team balance thing I'll leave that to the experts who are getting paid good coin and know more about this side of the game on their small toenail than me.

Edited by Rusty Nails

Nic Nat had nearly 43% of his Hitouts go to advantage on the weekend against Ivan Maric.

Gawn only had 16% against no real ruckman.

GAWN 44 H/O 15.9% HAD 19Disp 8M 6CM 1G

NAITANUI 33 H/O 42.4% HAD 12Disp 0M 0CM 2G

in case anyone is interested. It will be a pivotal battle. Centre Clearances can make such a difference.

Edited by Demon3

Nic Nat had nearly 43% of his Hitouts go to advantage on the weekend against Ivan Maric.

in case anyone is interested. It will be a pivotal battle. Centre Clearances can make such a difference.

I'm hoping Gawn can use that height of his to nullify NN.

The key to this game will be the midfield and the key to the midfield will be the ruck duel. Best way to stop Kennedy scoring will be to have the ball in our forward half.

Conditions up there as a night game are hot and slippery. Gawny had 12 possessions and 5 marks at half time. In the second half he only had 6 more possessions and 1 mark. He tires very badly and will do even more so in those conditions. There's no way we won't go in without two rucks. Gawny doesnt' have the tank to do it with a Dawes type second ruckman. I don't think Spencil fits for this game. It will be too slippery for him to mark in the forward line. We will be better with a more agile forward line against their weaker backline. But we will need the height in the backline to counter their talls of Kennedy, Darling and Sinclair. If they play Sinclair we've got to play Fitzy and change him in the ruck, probably more regularly than NicNat will change. Howe will have to fill in the backline while Fitz is in the ruck.

Bail will go for sure. He was very disappointing.

Gawn's 8 marks (6 contested) vs Naitanui's 0 is also important.

Sinclair also took 0 (for us, Spencer took 3).

How can two ruckmen together not take a mark in an entire game?!

You're right though, whatever ruck set up we go in with it's going to be a pivotal battle.

• Like 1

I think the only potential outs from such an impressive win, where pretty much everyone played their part, would be Bail/the Toump and/or Pig Dog. Probably keep pig dog for his scrapping ability around stoppages to cover in case we lose a mid early. Grimes in for Bail if he was fit. Keep a winning team's changes to the bare minimum is my motto. They will take more confidence from seeing the same heads/bodies around them than seeing 2, 3 or more new faces every other week.

As for the match ups/team balance thing I'll leave that to the experts who are getting paid good coin and know more about this side of the game on their small toenail than me.

So you are not thinking of bringing Hogan back in?

So you are not thinking of bringing Hogan back in?

I wouldn't be adversed to giving him another rest week, but totally happy either way.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 2

I'm thinking Spencer should stay just because the combo worked well. So then if we're probably too big, then Dawes should sit, even though I thought he was alright against Geelong I can't see him being that influential in Darwin

Dawes played a role vs the Cats, but Hogan for Dawes should be an easy and straight forward swap by the match committee

In - Garland, Hogan

Out - Dawes, Bail

B - N.Jetta - L.Dunn - C.Garland

HB - H.Lumumba - T.McDonald - D.Cross

C - B.Vince - D.Tyson - A.Brayshaw

HF - A.Neal-Bullen - J.Howe - J,Watts

F - J.Garlett - J.Hogan - M.Gawn

R - J.Spencer - J.Viney - N.Jones

Bench - J.Toumpas - M.Jones - B.Stretch

Sub - A.Riley

Edited by hogans_heroes

Those imagining that Col Garland will not be picked this week are delusional. Next to Nathan Jones, this year he would be the second name inked on the team sheet.

• Like 3

Those imagining that Col Garland will not be picked this week are delusional. Next to Nathan Jones, this year he would be the second name inked on the team sheet.

Am a huge fan of Col, but would be selecting Vince, TMac (despite lull in form) among others before him. Would happily see him straight back in normally, but after last weeks team performance would understand him having a week at Casey if the coaches felt it was best