R14-23: The Run Home

Curry & Beer

What is taking frost so long to recover from his toe injury?

If you had ever had a big toe injury, you would realise that you cannot run,(initially walking is difficult) then you get muscle wastage, strain on other toes and foot soreness. It takes ages to regain confidence in the toe and repeat injuries are common. Mine was 37 years ago and I still have issues at times after sprinting.

Wrote this yesterday still in the euphoria of the win, to follow my post in the people speak last week

Hope it is just as tellingas a prediction

As stated in the people speak last week there was a difference in the team that represented Melbourne Football Club this week

With an injury list boasting many who would be in the side in normal circumstances the team that pulled on the jumper were well aware of the role of this ground in shaping the recent history of the club and they were determined to make their own.

The series of games from Footscray to Collingwood and StKilda had shown that there was no longer a huge gulf between sides that play for and with each other. The only inconsistent ingredient was the result. They knew that "there is now a core of players who recognise that we are capable when playing our best football of matching any side" and were willing to test that resolve against one of the benchmarks of the competition, who had shown they were not going to lose that mantle easily against Port Adelaide the previous week. Wanting to celebrate one of their own champions 300th game was not a reason to be overcome with sentimentality but rather another reason to put the sword to a usually frail opposition.

The teams that took the field had more than enough reasons to believe that this was another formality as expressed by the Media before, during and even (in the unfortunate case of Channel 9) after the match.

But the Melbourne team had indeed been learning some powerful lessons and taking the lead from their captain reflecting the words of the coaches quoted last week that "We all have to be aware when to handball, when to shepherd, when to kick short or long, when to slow down and when to speed up play, but more importantly we need to do this as a team and not as individuals" said Jones saying these were the recurring comments coming from the players themselves".

The players had been a trifle introspective, but realising that in unity there is strength, had become more vocal at training, aware that as they have the support and the skill, needed only the desire to put their body over the ball, and keeping their emphasis on making and creating space by sacrificial acts to ensure their elite play will be rewarded. Now they were to put that belief to the test.

There was nowhere better than the cauldron of Simmonds stadium where the intensity would be enhanced by the partisan crowd of overwhelmingly sanguine Cats supporters enthusiastically glorying in a pleasant Sunday afternoon outing. If ever there was to be a "line in the sand" this was the moment

Time and again they rallied putting faith in each other to commit to the contest. Sure there were individual feats of glory, moments of almost reckless action. Analysis of the game showed that there were still many basic errors because there was a lack of awareness of their teammates but a louder more cohesive group of players who had survived the rigorous training schedule were determined to exhaust themselves in overcoming the perceived reputation of their team. Even on the bench there was a closer focus on the action, no disengagement as the players applied themselves with purpose to gain and maintain any slight ascendancy. Supporting each other for the glory of the team. For the full 120 minutes these gladiators battled not only the vagaries of our game but the demons that had been resident in the fabric of the club and its supporters. The triumph was as magnificent as it was unexpected. They not only drew the line but advanced from it ensuring they would not be pushed back.

In the moment of glory the coach Roos lined the team up to acknowledge Enright, a gesture not lost on those watching but more significant in reminding his own players of the fleeting nature of glory and the harsh reality of the game.

In the aftermath as the haze of victory descended the sharpened minds noted that the physical pain was not as noticeable. The team now have a week of reflection and the bye to again rebuild for the next assault. More than ever the competition for places in the team will be fierce and training will represent another battleground to display individual armoury. The coaches will now select a team from the squad that will represent the best mix to meet the west Coast. Those not selected will know that they are part of a juggernaut that needs their commitment and involvement. They must understand that there will be times when they are denied, times when they are pushed back but, the line has been drawn; there may be times that the team will be denied, times when the team will be pushed back, but they will not be pushed back over it.

• Like 3

Eagles TIO Stadium - 50/50
Bombers MCG - Win
Lions MCG - Win
Saints MCG - Win
Magpies MCG - Win
Kangaroos MCG - Win
Bulldogs Etihad Stadium - Win
Blues MCG - Win
Dockers Domain Stadium - Win
Giants Etihad Stadium - Win

If we beat the Eagles we'll make finals ;)

Just on the Dockers game, it could actually turn into a win. Remember what happened the last 2 years they played the Saints? They rested some big stars and got pumped for it, the game didn't matter for Freo as they were going into finals so they could afford to throw a game. Being the second last round it could happen to us.

You're right! I've fixed my post now.
I wonder if 13 wins will be enough for a home final.
Edited by Dr. Gonzo

That injury list is a week old so hopfully:

Hogan - ready

Garland - ready

Fitzy - ready

Vanders - 2-3 (ready for Bombers?)

Salem - 2-3 (ready to destroy bombers again?)

Kent/Frost - can't really expect anything from them for the season which sucks!

Fitzy is already back and was BOG for Casey at the weekend:

28'possessions

2 tackles

11 marks (with 8 from opposition kicks)

I am looking forward to him towelling Boyd again!

I thought 7-8 wins was a chance this year.

We have currently a long injury list with not much chance that the better players will return before August.

Therefore I am staying with 8 wins for the season which is actually the high end of my thoughts before the season started.

That means four more wins.

I think the game against Geelong was the one the side were really up for after the Saints loss and with the the injuries at present I find it hard to believe that the current squad can continue that over the next two months.

West Coast - Loss too good for us at present

Essendon - 50/50 but I think a loss

Brisbane- we should be able to win this one.

St Kilda- 50/50 But never seem to be able to get across the line with the saints however a Win .

Collingwood - at the G and we should have won last time might be a couple of players back as well a WIN.

North Melbourne - Loss they are too good for us and have been for a decade.

Bulldogs - Always thought we would split the games with the Dogs this year 50/50 this is the one I cannot pick both teams are capable of winning on their day. Dogs to win

Carlton - We should win this however Carlton have found a new life since the departure of Mick very close But the dees to win.

Freemantle - in WA too good for us a loss

GWS - The result here will depend on how well GWS cover the loss of Mumford. If they get done over the next month and the eight is beyond them we are a chance. If we are to win this we need a number of the currently injured players available and fit.

I cannot pick this one. It may just be our ninth win.

So Wins Brisbane, St Kilda, Collingwood and Carlton

Losses WCE, Essendon, North, Bulldogs and Freo

GWS I have lost my coin.

Eagles TIO Stadium - 50/50

Bombers MCG - Win

Lions MCG - Win

Saints MCG - Win

Magpies MCG - Win

Kangaroos MCG - Win

Bulldogs Etihad Stadium - Win

Blues MCG - Win

Dockers Domain Stadium - Win

Giants Etihad Stadium - Win

If we beat the Eagles we'll make finals ;)

You're right! I've fixed my post now.
I wonder if 13 wins will be enough for a home final.

Good lunch Doctor?

• Like 2

If we can win 8 games this year then we would have had 2, 4, and 8 wins over three years.

It is logical to conclude that we will be sure to win 16 games in 2016!

• Like 3

If we can win 8 games this year then we would have had 2, 4, and 8 wins over three years.

It is logical to conclude that we will be sure to win 16 games in 2016!

No but I will go with your plan.

The demon has awaken, when we play meth coast it will tell as if it is strong enough yet, playthe eagles the same way we play against the cats and the game is a 50/50. Our best has matched the top teams, need a 4 qtr effort.

Will beat dogs at docklands, and giants there too, its dew to win there.

The history books are aligning, could win a few in a row and who knows what could happen, stranger things have happen,and a lot of those strange things have happen to the demons over the years,

Starting with 1900 flag,we stole that one.

• Like 1

Its all up to the players. We are 2 games out of the 8 with 10 games to go

Positions 7-14 could go anywhere. Nobody expected a convincing win at The Cattery

A few more dominant games from big Max Gawn and things could change radically

Watched the replay last night. Gawn and Spencer were dictating who got first use...

Yes but they weren't playing a ruckman.

Best case scenario for me, we win 7 more:

Bombers, Lions, Saints, Magpies, Bulldogs, Blues and Giants.

Doubt it would happen but I regard the rest of the games as very tough and not much likelihood of a win... but hey, we just beat the Cats at Skilled so who knows what could happen.

Even though we won in Geelong It's still hard to see us winning at Etihad

I'm not one of those people who believe that our injuries really dictate what this team can achieve,i think good teams find a way to cover injuries,

i've been impressed with our body of work over the past say 6 weeks, beating the dogs, could have beaten port, could have beaten the filth, SHOULD have beaten the saints, and beating the cats at Geelong, would have loved to win those games, but i personally have seen some genuine improvement in that period, and for a good part of it Tom Mcdonald who i consider to be when in form is our best player, totally out of form.

I think we are in a position to really show the footy world we aren't that desperate shell of a team anymore, our best can match and beat top 8 sides, and by next year i think we'll have cut out most of the lapses, and get some good young players like Petracca and Trengove and probably some young talent into the mix and away we go :)

couple of surprise recruits might well give us a boost as well!

Re Essendon

Remember we will be playing the Bombers coming off the Darwin game. We may not recover sufficiently to play 4 quarters. Why the Darwin game is not scheduled just prior to the bye I don't understand.

• Like 1

Can't believe people are actually suggesting that we could make the 8.

Calm your farm people. It was an outstanding win, but consistency has long been our problem. When we string 2-3 wins together in a row, in a season, THEN perhaps consider finals. Until then, saviour it yes, but let's be realistic.

• Like 11

By the second last round, Lyon will have locked in top spot and he will be playing the juniors and the seniors will either have their feet up or fear injury prior to the finals. This is no certain loss at all.

Yeah, that Dees vs Freo game is placed perfectly for their annual late season 'rest our 15 best players and get flogged by 100 points' game.