MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION - Round 12

Demonland

I'd really like to see us put a few of their blokes down from the outset. Viney slamming Selwood in a tackle would set a nice tone. If he's going to play for head high make it a real one.

Edited by Return to Glory
  • Like 9

I'd really like to see us put a few of their blokes down from the outset. Viney slamming Selwood in a tackle would set a nice tone. If he's going to play for head high make it a real one.

Agree RtG. No one including myself is giving us a chance to win, we simply don't have the stock.

Hawkins would be pumped for this one, make him earn his goals, throw him in to the dirt and hurt him.

• Like 4

Big Spencil to knuckle Enright in his 300th.

Wouldn't that get the crowd up.

• Like 4

I have one problem with the above RN

When has Gawn ever clunked a few anywhere on the ground let alone in the forward fifty?

I hear you OD but need to keep in mind he's only played 2 games. I'm more basing this on his last season. But he is ranked 6th overall for contested marks. Not enough games to really judge this by i realise but on last year's performance where he had 9 games he was ranked No.1 for general contested marks!

Inside 50 you are correct. My statement again pertains mostly to last year. I did say a "few" and he was ranked equal 9th there.

Really RN? Like od, I haven't seen this....

You haven't seen it because he hasn't yet Jumbo lol. So my statement is more pertaining to the 9 games last year vs the 2 played this year (see above). Still think he is better than Spencil for marking i50 albeit at least Spencil has 1 mark i50 lol (but from twice as many games as Gawn...so far).

My understanding is that expecting tall ruckman to rest or drift forward nowadays and clunk a heap of contested marks is considered pretty much old school by current day coaches anyways. They are mostly just after their ability to get to a contest and bring the ball to ground, then compete once it hits the deck. Any contested marks (by today's ruckman) are considered a bit of a bonus as they have so much work to do at stoppages around the ground now as well as the bounce.

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 2

Big Spencil to knuckle Enright in his 300th.

Wouldn't that get the crowd up.

Hopefully he lay a coathanger on him.... i want to see Spencil talk some smack and a few face downs! like this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IqxQdTx2hI

• Like 1

That bench is pretty heinous.

The only chance we have is the Cats already planning their post-game celebrations. We re-wrote the script for Tommy Hafey's tribute. Maybe we can re-write another script, with the help of a miracle or two.

At least make them hurt. If you're going to play pigdog, instruct him to line up Selwood at the first bounce and flatten the little [censored].

• Like 6

Ta Jumbo. A little nervous about tomorrow.

Aren't we all?

We're grossly undermanned tomorrow, but I really, really, don't want a meek game....really physical.

Time for Roos to rein them in, play defensive, big packs, stoppages....make it ugly....[censored] up their day.

Edited by jumbo returns
  • Like 3

Great to see we've gone like for like with McKenzie for Hogan. Already pencilled him in for a lazy six.

I'm sure we actually brought Spencer in for Hogan. If Hogan had played I don't think Spencer would have as well. Then once we knew Spencer was in, we brought McKenzie into the emergencies (meaningless selection).

Any chance Brad Miller wants to sneak on and drop a knee into Selwood's kidney like he did to Lonergan a decade ago?

Edit - obviously this is tongue in cheek, not seriously wishing injury on anyone!

Edited by Wiseblood
  • Like 2

I'm sure we actually brought Spencer in for Hogan. If Hogan had played I don't think Spencer would have as well. Then once we knew Spencer was in, we brought McKenzie into the emergencies (meaningless selection).

Titan, I try not to let the facts get in the way of a cheap gag. I apologize.

Yep, even then.

Do you want him to play 1 game and miss 4 to 6 or even tare it off the bone and miss the rest of the season.

Do you want us to take a stupid risk with him and for him to pack up and go home in a couple of years because he didn't want to play with an amateur club.

If Dawes and co can't kick a score then it points to further changes at the end of the season. We're not pushing for finals here but we are moving forward, lets see who comes along with us for the ride. I've got very high hopes for Hogan, Brayshaw, Salem, Petracca, McDonald's, Viney, vanders,Tyson and co...

There's this game, then a bye, then the Eagles in Darwin, there's a good chance we'll have lost a large chunk of supporters by then. I trust that the medical staff were saying it, I don't think Hogan would've been doubting himself, so I doubt if he did get injured he wouldn't hold it against us. Mind you, I am going to the game, I bought a ticket well before Hogan was withdrawn, and Hogan is pretty much worth half the ticket at the moment

I hear you OD but need to keep in mind he's only played 2 games. I'm more basing this on his last season. But he is ranked 6th overall for contested marks. Not enough games to really judge this by i realise but on last year's performance where he had 9 games he was ranked No.1 for general contested marks!

Inside 50 you are correct. My statement again pertains mostly to last year. I did say a "few" and he was ranked equal 9th there.

You haven't seen it because he hasn't yet Jumbo lol. So my statement is more pertaining to the 9 games last year vs the 2 played this year (see above). Still think he is better than Spencil for marking i50 albeit at least Spencil has 1 mark i50 lol (but from twice as many games as Gawn...so far).

My understanding is that expecting tall ruckman to rest or drift forward nowadays and clunk a heap of contested marks is considered pretty much old school by current day coaches anyways. They are mostly just after their ability to get to a contest and bring the ball to ground, then compete once it hits the deck. Any contested marks (by today's ruckman) are considered a bit of a bonus as they have so much work to do at stoppages around the ground now as well as the bounce.

Remember the match against GWS where we kicked 11 in the last quarter to win? Gawn held off two GWS defenders (one on each hand) in the goal square and marked turned and goaled. Contested mark right there. Best moment of his career for me haha! Loved hat so much! He should be marking more, but give him time.. A little like Toumpas, let him get settled and hopefully he stats holding these marks he gets two mitts too :)! Not arguing with anyone here just thought I'd highlight that moment again :)

Go dees!

Agree! I would even include (assuming best form) Vandenberg, Grimes and Trengrove at the expense of Cross (goal should be to that he is forced out of the side by younger players demanding his spot), Toumpas (not quite there yet but improving) and JKH (also not quite there but improving).

So 8 of my best 22 out!

Who is this Trengove fellow?

It's hard not to feel depressed about today and I don't think our situation has been helped by the selectors.

I can't ever remember playing a ruckman at full forward ever working. They don't have the acceleration to lead and ours can't take a contested mark to save themselves. The only person on our list that might make a go of it is Fitz, having kicked 2 bags of 4 in the past.

Spencer has all the mobility and coordination of a giraffe with inner ear disturbance and I would like to see him as the sub and Howe at full forward. That will allow us to unleash the awesome midfield power of M. Jones and Bail - I'm sure Selwood et al are shaking in their boots.

• Like 1

We don't stand a chance matching their skill and discipline, so please Roosy just turn it into a scrap. I want to see guts, I want to see it ugly. I want to see players who give a damn and don't drop their heads, but keep running to the next tackle.

More than anything I'd love PigDog to line up on Selwood and make his day absolutely miserable with tackle after tackle. Don't even care of he gives away free kicks, I just don't want to see Geelong walk away with a hundred point win and no bruises for their party tonight.

Ruin their celebrations by battering them up like demons should!

• Like 3