Changes vs Cats

Bang Bang Bang

Now that i think about it Triple M last week were saying Hogan was getting alot of work done on his upper hamstring which in turns comes from his back. So i guess its best to give him 2 weeks off.

I bet Roos wouldn't mind tearing a hamstring and missing a week...

re Hogan. I noticed in the warm up just before the bounce that he was seemingly feeling the top of his hamstring, thought maybe buttock area. I thought then that he has tweaked something but he continued on. Then after he came straight off after kicking that first goal and I saw the trainers rubbing him that he had done something. Obviously it wasn't a strain or else he should never have come back on but maybe he just felt something wasn't fully right or tightness of sorts and soldiered on. If he still has this then he probably will miss.

This is just going on what I saw though, no insider knowledge.

As disappointing as it would be, I'll settle for playing the long game with Hogan. The disappointment would have nothing on it he missed the rest of the year with the back again. We're not going to win this game anyway.

Re: AAC's post : I don't take the same view on Brayshaw. No injury history, he's a mid so can be managed through rotations, and he's just starting to hit his straps form wise. I don't want to do anything to halt that momentum; every game in the seniors is an extra game of experience we need him to gain sooner rather than later.

• Like 5

B Fitzpatrick, T McDonald, Jetta
HB Lumumba, Dunn, Terlich
C Cross, Vince, M Jones
HF Brayshaw, Hogan, Howe
F Watts, Dawes, Garlett
Fol Gawn, Viney, N Jones
Int Tyson, Toumpas, Stretch, Riley (sub)

In: Fitzpatrick, Terlich, M Jones, Dawes
Out: Grimes (inj), Pedersen (inj), Neal-Bullen, Michie

• Terlich and Fitzpatrick should come into the back six for Grimes and Cross, who I much prefer seeing in the midfield.
• Dawes’ VFL report doesn’t fill me with confidence. But he comes into the side due to the length and shape of Kardinia Park and because our structure fell down last week when Pedersen went off.
• Matt Jones and Stretch offer more run and carry than Neal-Bullen or Michie. I also like what Riley offers as a substitute.

• Bail in and starting if Hogan is not fit.

And if he does, then our scoring power diminishes.. a lot. Hogan has 22 goals, Garlett 21 goals.. next best is Newton with 7.. It looms a very big problem. Unless Jeff can kick 4 and someon else can kick a gab of 3.. it is almost inevitable that we wont score 50+ points.

• Like 1

And if he does, then our scoring power diminishes.. a lot. Hogan has 22 goals, Garlett 21 goals.. next best is Newton with 7.. It looms a very big problem. Unless Jeff can kick 4 and someon else can kick a gab of 3.. it is almost inevitable that we wont score 50+ points.

Not to mention all the contests that he brings the ball to ground in, allowing others such as Garlett to feed off. This is going to be ugly. Something like 50 to 120.

• Like 1

interesting to see people's views re who is in and who is not,probably over a million computations,what the f.ck it's going to be a slaughter. Decoy forwards, no most of our team are decoys.We have to be the dumbiest footy team to grace a footy field,how many more

years of angst must we have? Has 17th place (melbourne has achieved in the last 2 yrs) become the new 9th place,more charity draft picks to aspire to,where is development of our players gone? Maybe it is non existent. The player match review for the reserves this year

mirrors the same one of last year however there has been a change of coach,so who is writing all that crap?"schweller" Brugan perhaps! 3 wins out of 10 under the ROOSY is not good enough,I personally think that he does not give a Toss,after the MFC he will get a well

paid media job. There is a possibility that two rookies can be promoted due to Pedersen,Trengove and Petracca being out for the season,Harmes and King have been rookies for the past two years,with our you beaut development program,it is about time to turn boys into

men and play them sometime this year.I am sure that the Hawks would fast track them.

interesting to see people's views re who is in and who is not,probably over a million computations,what the f.ck it's going to be a slaughter. Decoy forwards, no most of our team are decoys.We have to be the dumbiest footy team to grace a footy field,how many more

years of angst must we have? Has 17th place (melbourne has achieved in the last 2 yrs) become the new 9th place,more charity draft picks to aspire to,where is development of our players gone? Maybe it is non existent. The player match review for the reserves this year

mirrors the same one of last year however there has been a change of coach,so who is writing all that crap?"schweller" Brugan perhaps! 3 wins out of 10 under the ROOSY is not good enough,I personally think that he does not give a Toss,after the MFC he will get a well

paid media job. There is a possibility that two rookies can be promoted due to Pedersen,Trengove and Petracca being out for the season,Harmes and King have been rookies for the past two years,with our you beaut development program,it is about time to turn boys into

men and play them sometime this year.I am sure that the Hawks would fast track them.

"dumbiest"

• Like 2

A sagacious and insightful post, as usual ENYAW.

• Like 2

I still think you have the stat wrong, on the MFC website it has Dawes on Average and total ahead of him, but its only by a minimal amount as Fitzy has only taken one mark in our forward line this year due to him playing as a backman.

I have liked what i have seen of Fitzy down back this year and I think its the kind of thing where if I was Roosy I would not throw him into the forward line as it looks like he is actually playing decent football in the defensive role. When I am talking about limited success I am talking about his whole career leading up to this one, the games he played as a ruck/forward were pretty poor and I think that he is actually getting some continuity in his football as a backman.

As for Dawes, I think his competitive streak and lead up work is what sets him apart from all of the other options, whilst his marking is not the best, I still think he has a spot in our best 22 for his presenting up the field as a target alone. Do I think this is his spot for 2 or so more years, not if he doesn't improve but this year, with all of the injuries currently also, there is no way we can not select him as a forward if he is ready to play.

Michie played his best football last year across half back, whilst i agree he is slow, it is more just to give him one more shot this week. He is not going to be a midfielder in our team and half back is a spot which we need to sure up. That said i think his time is up at Melbourne but who knows.

The JKH comment was just meant to be in general, i could not be bothered throwing the multi quote in, sorry

Correct. I found the error. Had allocated him to the Hulk against the Power instead of himself for the extra mark lol.

He is sitting 14th just below Dawes/Vince on equal 12th for marks i50.

So given he hasn't played a big role up forward if we use contested instead of marks i50 to compare, this is the rankings we get out of the 4 mentioned....

1. Hogan (Ranked 1st);

2. Pederson (Ranked 2nd);

3. T-Mac (Ranked 3rd)

3. Fitzpatrick (Ranked equal 9th); and

4. Dawes (Ranked 12)

Which leads me back to the point why i posted. Let's give the best "tall" contested marks a chance at playing CHF and see if we can up our marks i50 given we have very few inside 50 opportunities versus most of our opponents. We've seen what Dawes tries to bring and it isn't very pretty so far. Time to look beyond Dawes. The answer may not lay with Pedo, T-Mac or Fitzy but i still think we should give each of them a fair crack at it (ie., 3 to 4 matches) before seasons end IF available, provided they've shown something in each (ie., not a complete disastor) AND can kick straight (hitting a lead up target/shooting at goal). No point having a a good mark i50 if he can't kick straight or hit the occasional lead up target if playing higher outside the arc on occasions.

I agree Dawes should be considered at CHF (for now), given we have so many of the tall options above either injured or carrying injuries. My theory assumes most are available which is of course pretty rare at the MFC!

Wherever Michie is played, just let him play most of the match. If the match committe are thinking of making him sub then don't play him at all. He may have had 4 matches but has so far only been given 2.5 matches of actual time on the ground. And all of that was spasmodic coming on as sub or much of it on the bench. Like i said we aren't making finals and some, like Michie, have their career potentially on the line. I'd hate to think a career was decided on a match where they are brought on by Roos as the sub (who hates the idea of a sub and according to some d'landers does it pretty poorly).

Edited by Rusty Nails

Gee hasnt a lot changed that day. 2 people involved have lost there lives, 3/4s of the team has gone, administrators have gone. Only good thing abut that day being there was I went to a beautiful mexican restaurant afterwards.

I hope the bill wasn't as high as Geelong's score that day dees