John Burns, alleged racial abuse Friday night.

mofo

Hey Bitter, dunno what it says about me, but I enjoy Ross and John on the odd occasion that I hear em (and I enjoy your posts as well)

Certainly seems out of character. He comes across as a very decent fellow. No proof that he said it. Who knows what some eavesdropper misheard? Lets just move on.

He is a Melbourne supporter, but doesn't seem like a very passionate one.

Aaaaaaahhhhhhh!!

Hey Bitter, dunno what it says about me, but I enjoy Ross and John on the odd occasion that I hear em (and I enjoy your posts as well)

Certainly seems out of character. He comes across as a very decent fellow. No proof that he said it. Who knows what some eavesdropper misheard? Lets just move on.

He is a Melbourne supporter, but doesn't seem like a very passionate one.

don't worry about bbo, jara. no radio in romsey, so he would have no idea

Id like to think it does matter considering the climate we live in. One could easily say the story was devised to distract from the teams onfield performance(without Bachar's knowledge). That's the problem isn't it, mud does stick. Should this have been investigated more before going public.

Sorry, I didn't make myself very clear... what I meant was "Does it matter if it has or hasn't been confirmed"... because the damage has been done regardless.

As a baptised Catholic I am only now just seeing the light!

Question can you be a Humanist and Existentialist at the same time??

As I see it now, "Religion IS the opiate of the people"

Take away this determination to prove that there is something after life and you also take away the desire to do as your God would have you do!

I am now of the opinion, look after family first, friends next and the rest will be what will be!

live well, enjoy, treat others as you would like to be treated and you will have a great life, free of this inane Religious consciousness!

Bless you my son.

Highly ironic that Ross started his radio career on the alternstive, leftish 3RRR with "Lawyers guns and money". That was as a funny and interesting show, but he sold out to 3AW (as I would have, to be fair).

Actually I think that "Lawyers, Guns & Money" featuring Donaghue, Banks and Campbell (Stevenson) was on 3AW.

It moved to AW like the Coodabbeens and other good RRR shows moved on. From memory Donaghue (not sure of real name) kept up his leftish and/or irreverent leaning which the AW management weren't to keen on and he got the flick and somewhere along the line the show changed names.

Its a bizarre one.

If the comments were made, that's gross and stupid.

If the comments were overheard by someone who cared, then they should have pulled him up about it on the spot.

"Immediate and suitably proportional" response is the only way to change behavior.

Honestly, taking it direct to the media sends a signal to me that the person who overheard it didn't really care about change, just wanted to have a snipe out of it. In the process doing a disservice to the issue itself.

All pretty grubby, really.

• Like 2

Religious vilification too

Racial and religious vilification can have blurred boundaries sometimes. An Indian friend told me he and his brother have been called terrorists/ jihadists/ IS supporters despite being Hindus. Presumably because the bigoted name callers saw only the color of their skin or that they looked 'different'. I don't know the answer to this question, but would Houli have been called a terrorist if he was a clean shaven, pale skinned redhead who also happened to be a Muslim?

Edited by Moonshadow

IMO the biggest issue here is possible invasion of privacy. Far outweighs what he said if he did say it privately. I mix with a lot of people and have attended parties and functions from many ethnic groups, Some which have been well known victims of racism. The racist talk there can be quite shocking and disgusting. Members here of certain ethnic groups will know exactly what I am talking about. As far as I am concerned they shall remain publically anonymous. Every ethnicity and culture shares the same vulnerability to racist action and thought. Having snoops report on private coniversations were the foundation stones the Gestapo, KGB and Stasi were built on.

Edited by america de cali

It moved to AW like the Coodabbeens and other good RRR shows moved on. From memory Donaghue (not sure of real name) kept up his leftish and/or irreverent leaning which the AW management weren't to keen on and he got the flick and somewhere along the line the show changed names.

He was actually enjoyed life too much and was known to turn up to "work" a little worse for wear. As for "Burns", when an allegation is made, such as the one that had been levelled against him, it beggars belief, as far as I'm concerned, that you would not remember whether you uttered such words or not. The haste with which the so-called apology was accepted is equally hard to accept. I am not making judgement, but a 13 year old girl was called to account and held to account, when she vilified Adam Goodes. How has this issue been swept under the carpet so quickly?

Edited by iv'a worn smith
  • Like 1

here is the Hun's take on it http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/aw-breakfast-co-host-john-burns-apologises-for-bachar-houli-terrorist-slur-he-cant-recall/story-fni5f22o-1227323935136

for those who don't know "Bulltish Artist of the Week" refers to a segment 3aw runs on Breakfast show hosted by burns and stevenson

burns was a guest of richmond at the game, invited by steve price a richmond supporter

he was seated with price with gillom mc seated behind and the informant seated somewhere in front who claimed he overhead a conversation

given this environment i find it hard to believe he would have called houli a terrorist

price says he had no recollection and he is a richmond supporter

anyway, all a bit strange to me

• Like 1