POST MATCH DISCUSSION - ROUND 1, 2015

Demonland

Well C&B, as you're no doubt aware, it's rare for a club to use less than 30 players in a season and that number can often get to 33/34 (especially for the less successful sides)

I'm not wanting injuries or poor form to happen but both those factors will almost certainly happen. I'm not trying to be obviously negative either - unless I'm mistaken, at some stage during the season we're possibly going to have 3 or 4 players in the selected team who we ordinarily may not want in the side.

What I'm hoping for is for 3-4 of our depth players to improve their footy quite markedly. That can happen too - especially if they need to do that to prolong their respective career's.

Dunn, Jetta, Jamar & Howe have all improved quite a lot under Roos and it looks like Watts, Viney, Kent, Garland & McDonald are following suit this season (although it is a bit early to tell just yet)

One of the big issues will be how many of those not best 22 players have to play at a time.

One of the big issues will be how many of those not best 22 players have to play at a time.

Or, if those "not best 22" can lift their respective game's, our side may not ever have too many obvious weaknesses.

Any player can improve but that improvement is difficult for those with poor decision making skills coupled with poor to average disposal skills (especially for a player who has been in the system for 4-8 years)

With the odd exception, it's noticeable that those who have reasonable to excellent disposal skills (and decision making skills) are separating themselves from the rest.

I've already seen enough to believe we can win up to 8-10 games this season but we'll need a half decent run with injuries to get to that initial goal ... if we have a dream run we might even snag a few more wins.

Oh yes we were lucky to win

Ablett takes that handball in the goal square. Game changes completely.

Momemtum is modern football

He didn't take the pass & we made them pay

We won and deserved it

But luck did play a big part.

as if

once we got 4 goals out we just held them back again and again, they never really looked like it

how often does ablett Jnr make such a blunder?

how lucky was it, that seconds before that fumble, cross was paid a free kick against him for 'taking out the legs' because a GC player fell over him while he was extracting the ball. Right after that it was very lucky they got another garbage free kick, for which everybody stopped, and adavantage was unfairly paid. That's how it got from the wing to the goalsquare for Ablett to fumble it, and that was the main reason I was cheering so loudly when it happened. Go watch the replay, they got 'lucky' 3 times in 10 seconds courtesy of the umps right before that.

• Like 6

Anyone that says that win was lucky must have not seen the game. We were clearly dominant over the 4 quarters and were challenged several times and stood up.

Able tt being underdone was a poor decision by the suns. No luck involved

• Like 3

Anyone that says that win was lucky must have not seen the game. We were clearly dominant over the 4 quarters and were challenged several times and stood up.

Able tt being underdone was a poor decision by the suns. No luck involved

a poor decision and a reflection of how much they desperately depend on one player

• Like 1

Oh yes we were lucky to win

Ablett takes that handball in the goal square. Game changes completely.

Momemtum is modern football

He didn't take the pass & we made them pay

We won and deserved it

But luck did play a big part.

wtf........you weren't even at the game.........and tv distorts what is actually happening

no luck involved in that win........should have won by more

• Like 4

how lucky was it, that seconds before that fumble, cross was paid a free kick against him for 'taking out the legs' because a GC player fell over him while he was extracting the ball. Right after that it was very lucky they got another garbage free kick, for which everybody stopped, and adavantage was unfairly paid. That's how it got from the wing to the goalsquare for Ablett to fumble it, and that was the main reason I was cheering so loudly when it happened. Go watch the replay, they got 'lucky' 3 times in 10 seconds courtesy of the umps right before that.

I agree the free and the advantage was rubbish.

All i am saying above is that the momentum swing almost got us. We got lucky.

And we made them pay.

I only heard the game on the radio. I didn't realize how close Ablett was until i saw the video.

I am enjoying the win

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 1

And we made them pay.

I only heard the game on the radio. I didn't realize how close Ablett was until i saw the video.

I am enjoying the win

We got lucky?

This was one of the most 4 qtr effort win in a very long time. We got challenged several times yet we rose to the challenge and came up on top.

These are what the top teams go about it. I am not saying we are one of them but we earnt every goal through sheer hard work.

sorry but this is one of your poorer posts.

• Like 4

Some people are talking like it was like one of our wins from last year where the opposition had more scoring shots but we fell over the line.

Well vs Gold Coast we had 30 scoring shots to 24 and each time they challenged we kicked multiple goals to brush them off

No luck involved at all just hard work, determination and will to win

• Like 2

wtf........you weren't even at the game.........and tv distorts what is actually happening

no luck involved in that win........should have won by more

So you're saying we were unlucky not to win by more?

And we made them pay.

I am enjoying the win

we were up by 18 anyway, had he not fumbled we would still have had a 12 point buffer, its not like it would have put them in front

Or, if those "not best 22" can lift their respective game's, our side may not ever have too many obvious weaknesses.

Any player can improve but that improvement is difficult for those with poor decision making skills coupled with poor to average disposal skills (especially for a player who has been in the system for 4-8 years)

With the odd exception, it's noticeable that those who have reasonable to excellent disposal skills (and decision making skills) are separating themselves from the rest.

I've already seen enough to believe we can win up to 8-10 games this season but we'll need a half decent run with injuries to get to that initial goal ... if we have a dream run we might even snag a few more wins.

I'd assume they can't. Maybe one or two might.

Assuming Dawes and Vince come in next week we have "best 22" which means there will be the 2 omissions (say Toumpas and Brayshaw) plus Grimes and Jones as the first 4 possible ins. Pedo is forward back up and Gawn is ruck back up. If all 6 of those are in the side at the expense of 6 others we will have a big change in the quality of the side.

If more than that are needed at one time we are in line for a belting of we come up against the wrong team.

Matt Shaw got 1 week for cleaning up Kent

Another migraine-producing decision from the MRP

Launched himself off the ground, not looking at the ball, collected the opponent with an elbow to the face after the mark was taken.

Probably judged it low impact because it didn't break his jaw

• Like 2

Actually the cross free kick was there. He slid and took out his opponents legs. That's clear cut now. The next decision if you watch viney just grabs his taller opponent around the waist and manhandles him whilst attempting the mark. It had to be given. What was 50/50 was the advantage which looked a bit generous as everyone stopped.

• Like 1

Ablett takes that handball cleanly winning the stat count means very little.

I have just finished watching the game.

We took advantage of some huge pieces of luck in the 2nd half.

1st half we killed them

You could say the same for us though - Ablett takes the handball they kick a goal. Toumpas gets the handball away we kick a goal. Watts kicks from the boundary it's luck. Rischitelli kicks one from a similar position that's also luck. Garlett missed a sitter early and there were a couple more missed opportunities as well. If anything we should've won by more, probably about 40 points.

The good thing though is that we didn't capitulate when challenged. That's my take from the game, last year we would've panicked, ran out of legs and rolled over in the last quarter, instead we kicked on and ran out the game.

I'd assume they can't. Maybe one or two might.

Assuming Dawes and Vince come in next week we have "best 22" which means there will be the 2 omissions (say Toumpas and Brayshaw) plus Grimes and Jones as the first 4 possible ins. Pedo is forward back up and Gawn is ruck back up. If all 6 of those are in the side at the expense of 6 others we will have a big change in the quality of the side.

If more than that are needed at one time we are in line for a belting of we come up against the wrong team.

Did Roos talk about a possible 26 a few weeks ago? If so, your 22 + 2 + 2 might be on the money.

Back-up ruckmen are back-up ruckmen and then there's Pedersen for some versatility (if he can recapture some of his form from last year) Then there's injuries of course.

It will be fascinating to see all these blokes on the periphery running around for Casey - I'd like to think they'll all respond to the challenge and endeavour to put their hands up. Many of them played in at least one of our last 3 games last year.

Skill level is key of course - improvement has to happen and for some, a lot of improvement is needed.

I don't think we were lucky to win at all! We curtailed their momentum in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th qtrs. That wasn't luck, that was good on field leadership!!

In an interview yesterday Jones talked about picking up the momentum swings during a game without the coaches telling them and taking action straight away on the field. That's leadership. Jones gets it!

Before long Jones will be a Hodge type on-field general.

With considerable help from Dunn and Dawes. Dunn was very vocal on Saturday and continually coached particularly our younger players on the field during play. I have not seen that to that extent before. I suspect JonesyJonesy is more the lead by example type, and extremely good at it.

Not sure if it has been discussed. What did people think of Jetta in the last quarter when he got hit and stayed down? The commentators were clearly not impressed at all and the hit he got didn't look that bad but I've always thought of Jetta as a very tough player, I wouldn't think he would stay down unless he was hurting.

Edited by Rafiki

Was ordinary in the first quarter, but killed Smith for the rest of the day.

Watch the replay Jamar smashed Smith for the first half. Gorringe took his spot and done a lot better job, he helped them get back into the game. Smith had an absolute shocker.