Sheehan's top 50 of the last 25 years

Born to Run

Not sure if it has been raised elsewhere (please remove if it has).

Mike Sheehan released his sign-off "top 50" list which was the best players he has seen in the last 25 years. The front page of the HS asked the question "which proud club is unrepresented in the Top 50?".

Sure enough it was us......

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mike-sheahans-top-50-the-best-players-of-the-past-25-years/story-fnp04d70-1227272733389

I actually agree with him though and it is what has been so sad about the Club for such a long time. Not since Tulip have we had a genuine "superstar" of the competition. Special mentions to The Ox, Neita, the Wiz occasionally, and no doubt some other great players, but we just havent developed any stand outs. I really hope that changes soon!

(I was getting excited about M Clark at one stage a few years back.....only to have that dream dashed!).

Mike Sheehan released his sign-off "top 50" list which was the best players he has seen in the last 25 years. The front page of the HS asked the question "which proud club is unrepresented in the Top 50?".

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mike-sheahans-top-50-the-best-players-of-the-past-25-years/story-fnp04d70-1227272733389

I actually agree with him though and it is what has been so sad about the Club for such a long time. Not since Tulip have we had a genuine "superstar" of the competition. Special mentions to The Ox, Neita, the Wiz occasionally, and no doubt some other great players, but we just havent developed any stand outs. I really hope that changes soon!

(I was getting excited about M Clark at one stage a few years back.....only to have that dream dashed!).

Our list reflects that now. In our best 22 at the moment, we don't have true any 'A' graders let alone a superstar at the top and our bottom 5 or more aren't at the standard, at best depth players.

Our list reflects that now. In our best 22 at the moment, we don't have true any 'A' graders let alone a superstar at the top and our bottom 5 or more aren't at the standard, at best depth players.

I think G Lyon deserves a spot on the list, he's certainly more deserving than Brad Johnson for instance.

And The Ox but for wonky knees...(sigh)

• Like 1

Jim Stynes couldn't crack a mention? Brownlowmedalist, who in a way, revolutionised the ruck role, or at least played his part in it.

• Like 3

Richmond's only representation was Cousins, which is basically a default. How Richo didn't get a gig with 800 goals is a mystery., but then again from the Dogs he has Brad Johnson at 22 but leaves out Chris Grant altogether.

There have at least been some real contenders in Stynes, Neita and Lyon. Stynes should've made the list I think. 105 Brownlow votes isn't a bad effort.

• Like 1

Jim Stynes is a legend of the game.....to put someone like a Tredrea ahead of him is a disgrace, and Sheahan is a Melb supporter.

Has any other so called supporter done more to disrespect our club than the mumbling Sheahan?

presume it's because he only played his last 4 years in the last 25 years

Umm it was a 1990 to 2015 review that means Stynes played 8 seasons till 1998? Including his Brownlow year 1991 when he was unbelieveably good. Travesty he was not included as others have said, he revolutionised the rucking role and would be a star in today's high endurance footy.

• Like 1

Jim Stynes is a legend of the game.....to put someone like a Tredrea ahead of him is a disgrace, and Sheahan is a Melb supporter.

Has any other so called supporter done more to disrespect our club than the mumbling Sheahan?

Sheehan doesn't compose this as a Melbourne supporter. Whether you agree or not it has nothing to do with who he supports.

Stynes reinvented the ruck. In today's game, he would've been the quintessential tall, athletic midfielder.

Agree with others, should have been in there.

no Jim Stynes?

I guess a Brownlow medal, 4 best and fairests and revolutionizing the ruck position isn't good enough hey

I think this is often overstated and not true but could someone tell me how Jim reinvented and revolutionised the ruck?

I would of had Neitz in before Scarlet any day of the week.. Also Matty Richardson was pretty stiff..

I'd also argue he has forgotten just how good Jeff White was when in his prime and in my opinion the wiz was better cyril because he kicked more goals!!

I think this is often overstated and not true but could someone tell me how Jim reinvented and revolutionised the ruck?

Easy. At a time when zones were the norm and ruckmen played in short bursts, Stynes was the complete antithesis. He managed to get to many contests, became a link player and hardly rested.

• Like 1

If we had won flags in 1990 or 1994 we would have had bona fide claims to Mike's list

It didn't happen because we always had bad slumps before the finals and made the run from too far back

2002 and 2004 were bigger let downs than 1994. We beat second placed Carlton in the finals from 7th and destroyed Footscray. We were a mid-ladder team that peaked at the right time.

In 2002, 2004, 2005, we genuinely slumped whenever people started respecting us.

Easy. At a time when zones were the norm and ruckmen played in short bursts, Stynes was the complete antithesis. He managed to get to many contests, became a link player and hardly rested.

He was certainly good but not a pioneer.

If we had won flags in 1990 or 1994 we would have had bona fide claims to Mike's list

It didn't happen because we always had bad slumps before the finals and made the run from too far back

I think the flags are the key.

Umm it was a 1990 to 2015 review that means Stynes played 8 seasons till 1998? Including his Brownlow year 1991 when he was unbelieveably good. Travesty he was not included as others have said, he revolutionised the rucking role and would be a star in today's high endurance footy.

earl, you're right

i read the wrong column in wiki.......duh

put it down to senior brain fart

Premiership count for too much consistently the wiz is a better player then Cyril, sytnes was ahead of his time, hewas much fitter than all the other ruckman, if we won flags in 87 or 88, he would be in, even though it's from 1990 to 2015. That's the way mick thinks.

Stynes and Lyon are the only Demons with any kind of claim, but they would be borderline at best given that at least 1/3 of their careers happened outside the period in question. 3 of Jimmy's B&F victories were won in a complete rabble, so they are more a tribute to his consistency than his brilliance.

Neitz finished his career with decent statistics, but was hardly a superstar, and rarely dominated in big games. Most of the players on the list thrived in big games, as the best players should.

As with all of these lists, they are aimed as a conversation starter, not as a definitive list.

• Like 1

Why anybody would care what Mike Sheehan thinks is beyond me.....It is one mans opinion......An overrated jorno who thinks he knows everything.

Lyon was at No 3 on Mikes Top 50 in 91..

Him , Jimmy, Neitzy and OX have been our best players. Are they top 50 worthy? I reckon Lyon and Jimmy are borderline. Neita 60-100 and Ox could have been top 10..

I think it's a pretty good top 50. Very hard exercise. Clearly mike seduced by premierships though.

Leaving Jimmy out is to me a very odd omission, particularly looking at some of his inclusions. When we were pushing hard at the top of the ladder, he was a massive part of why that occurred. His Brownlow was clearly a mistake in Sheahan's eyes. Very odd indeed.