Christian Salem signs 2 year deal

dazzledavey36

Glad to hear the young boys are getting on board for the future. Good stuff MFC!

• Like 1

Correct me if I'm wrong but it does feel a bit 2010ish at the moment. I remember we had a lot of our young brigade (I remember Chip signed his last 3 year extension one year out from the expiry of his previous deal) sign en masse back then.

That being said, this does show the environment as of now is relatively positive. We need to keep these blokes together as a core group.

With all due respect I don't know why this even needs to be said. Why can't we just be happy and content that another kid who shows promise has signed on for the future? We seemingly want to pick holes in everything these days, no matter how positive the news is. With everything that's happened over the last few years it's refreshing, and relieving, to see these kids showing faith in where the club is headed.

I don't really mean to direct this at you Colin, just that your post stuck out to me in this case.

• Like 5

Correct me if I'm wrong but it does feel a bit 2010ish at the moment. I remember we had a lot of our young brigade (I remember Chip signed his last 3 year extension one year out from the expiry of his previous deal) sign en masse back then.

That being said, this does show the environment as of now is relatively positive. We need to keep these blokes together as a core group.

There are always going to be elements of risks on both sides of the deal with any signing.

The kid is happy at the Dees, we are happy with him. A bloke like Salem re-signing is a good thing.

The other option is that we don't re-sign anyone for fear of things going wrong.

Unfortunately criticism and negativity will continue until we have some sustained success. When we do start winning games the mindset of demon supporters, the football public and the media will change. The top sides have lots of issues going on within their clubs that could be viewed negatively, but winning footy games protect them from close scrutiny. Like wallpaper, winning games of footy papers over the cracks. The footy media are like a bunch of hyenas.

• Like 1

There are always going to be elements of risks on both sides of the deal with any signing.

The kid is happy at the Dees, we are happy with him. A bloke like Salem re-signing is a good thing.

The other option is that we don't re-sign anyone for fear of things going wrong.

This is the essence of it, I think. The first year is tough, and tougher for him because of his golden ticket, but the supporters took to him and he obviously loves playing footy. I don't know how he felt when he kicked the sealer against Essendon, but if you could bottle it we'd all be drinking it.

We have this ongoing fear that players will leave us for a better offer, but I just don't believe he's going to Scully us.

This signing says a lot about the state AFL is in. That Clubs feel compelled to have to sign these junior players so early and publicise it.

I wonder if this signing and Brayshaw has anything to do with paying 100% of the salary cap this year and freeing up money over the next two years to try and sign a couple of expensive A lister midfielders. Interesting that Petracca hasn't been signed on an extension. Maybe because he's injured this year they can't forward load his contract so aren't worried about extending it at this stage.

• Like 2

Are you trying to start one of those flame war things? If so, I'll happily oblige.

In the meantime, congratulations Christian. This is what hope feels like.

No chap, I stirred him about the exit at training, I support Everton, he offered to buy me a Championship season ticket for next year (look it up, it means we would be releagated from top league)

First thing he did at Family Day when he saw me was to show me Manchester City's weekend result on his phone, loves his soccer

Edited by The Devil Inside

Love Salem!

I still do a touble-take every time he gets the ball: the hairdo, the taped wrists, hairy legs and hairier arms and the big number three on his back - uncanny resemblance to great G.Lyon.

• Like 1

This is the essence of it, I think. The first year is tough, and tougher for him because of his golden ticket, but the supporters took to him and he obviously loves playing footy. I don't know how he felt when he kicked the sealer against Essendon, but if you could bottle it we'd all be drinking it.

We have this ongoing fear that players will leave us for a better offer, but I just don't believe he's going to Scully us.

1) I understand he was an Essendon supporter so when he kicked the sealer against them he probably thought - whoopee I'm now a Dee!

2) I have been told by people who know him from Brighton Grammar that he's a genuinely decent kid so like you I don't expect him to do the dirty on us.

(And his dad doesn't need the money)!!!

This is a massive signing, Salem is a very special player.

It is good to hear that he loves the club. We will need him to love the club, he'll be sort after when he comes out of contract.

We haven't drafted a more complete player than this kid in the past 20 years - and I've said that for over a year now.

Roos pulled off a coup when he got Salem and Tyson, and hopefully we end up with Kelly anyway.

• Like 1

With all due respect I don't know why this even needs to be said. Why can't we just be happy and content that another kid who shows promise has signed on for the future? We seemingly want to pick holes in everything these days, no matter how positive the news is. With everything that's happened over the last few years it's refreshing, and relieving, to see these kids showing faith in where the club is headed.

I don't really mean to direct this at you Colin, just that your post stuck out to me in this case.

I could have been a bit more eloquent in how I put it but my point is that this signing, while not a bad thing, should be viewed with slight caution. Sure, let's resign who is interested in staying but let's not use this as a measuring stick as to the environment being incomparable to before. I'd wager that things were pretty upbeat in Bails' 2nd last year when all those kids re-signed but they got a taste of the other side of footy culture in 2011. That's not to say it will definitely happen again. We just need to be a little more circumspect when we make grand proclamations on how great the club has become. Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

I could have been a bit more eloquent in how I put it but my point is that this signing, while not a bad thing, should be viewed with slight caution. Sure, let's resign who is interested in staying but let's not use this as a measuring stick as to the environment being incomparable to before. I'd wager that things were pretty upbeat in Bails' 2nd last year when all those kids re-signed but they got a taste of the other side of footy culture in 2011. That's not to say it will definitely happen again. We just need to be a little more circumspect when we make grand proclamations on how great the club has become.

I agree, some of the signings lay a good framework for a promising future, but we are still a way off, this year will show us how many steps we have taken both on and off the field

I could have been a bit more eloquent in how I put it but my point is that this signing, while not a bad thing, should be viewed with slight caution. Sure, let's resign who is interested in staying but let's not use this as a measuring stick as to the environment being incomparable to before. I'd wager that things were pretty upbeat in Bails' 2nd last year when all those kids re-signed but they got a taste of the other side of footy culture in 2011. That's not to say it will definitely happen again. We just need to be a little more circumspect when we make grand proclamations on how great the club has become.

All fair points Colin.

I'm stating the obvious here but the difference is obviously how the club was run back in Bailey's time compared to now. It's light and day, but we already know that. I agree that we don't need to go over the top in how we view the club, it was more a comment on sitting back and enjoying yet another player showing some faith in the club. While neither he nor Brayshaw have set the world on fire yet, or barely played any games, they are two guys who show promise, a strong work ethic and a willingness to get behind the club. It can only be a good thing.

All fair points Colin.

I'm stating the obvious here but the difference is obviously how the club was run back in Bailey's time compared to now. It's light and day, but we already know that. I agree that we don't need to go over the top in how we view the club, it was more a comment on sitting back and enjoying yet another player showing some faith in the club. While neither he nor Brayshaw have set the world on fire yet, or barely played any games, they are two guys who show promise, a strong work ethic and a willingness to get behind the club. It can only be a good thing.

Careful... BT or Darce will be lining up to plagiarise that saying from you.

Edited by Robot Devil

Nothing wrong with the championship Saty...

Don't know chap, haven't been there for a while, before my time, we are too close to drop zone at the moment for mine, sad Frawley is gone, Spurs supporter, could have rubbed it in on Wednesday as well

As far as I know Salem doesn't even watch the footy during the season, only interested in the soccer, think he only got into footy coz it was main sport played at schools he went to

Edited by The Devil Inside

1) I understand he was an Essendon supporter so when he kicked the sealer against them he probably thought - whoopee I'm now a Dee!

2) I have been told by people who know him from Brighton Grammar that he's a genuinely decent kid so like you I don't expect him to do the dirty on us.

A mate of mine does a bit of promo work for his family businesses Dee Dee. Said his whole family have completely switched over to the Dees and are now mad Melbourne supporters. His folks love the environment that Roos et al have created. Apparently a really good family. FWIW my friend also said Salem is pronounced 'Sall-em', with a quick sounding em.

Edited by Moonshadow

And if I recall correctly, his Dad is a food provider rather than consumer.

• Like 2

Thread has been pruned of the boring and endless debates about training reports.

Not sure why people feel the need to re-state their position over and over again in every new thread, but it's getting tiresome.

Repeat offenders will be referred to the Demonland tribunal in the future.

Thread has been pruned of the boring and endless debates about training reports.

Not sure why people feel the need to re-state their position over and over again in every new thread, but it's getting tiresome.

Repeat offenders will be referred to the Demonland tribunal in the future.

Mmmmmmmmmm prunes....