• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Intra Club - Thursday 19 February 2015 at Casey Fields @ 3pm

Demonland

Nothing but a bunch of silly old whinging bastards. Cant wait till we start winning to shut you morons up.

Whingers? Or just supporters who love to watch their team at every opportunity and give the club every opportunity to grow?

Edited by Tough Kent
  • Like 1

Nothing but a bunch of silly old whinging bastards. Cant wait till we start winning to shut you morons up.

We only want what is best for the club - explaining that a Thursday mid-afternoon is a bad time for an advertised intra club is constructive.

• Like 2

I would be interested to see just how many memberships the Saints sold as a result. Sorry WB, but I have to disagree. We might have sold a couple of additional memberships but really, the only way we are going to make any significant inroads into both winning the hearts and minds of the public and selling memberships is by starting the season with a few hard fought wins.

Yeah but I think the point is that you take every opportunity. Winning games is the ultimate sales pitch, doesn't mean that you ignore any other possibilities.

• Like 3

I couldn't have gone either way but I tend to agree that the club really didn't think this through from a potential marketing point of view. To play it at a time where you're going to get sweat FA amount of people and no BBQ or anything going on is a real failing on the club's part. Given that the AFL have this idea that it's a year for the fans it's not a good start from us.

I hope the club considers this for next year.

Whilst I can understand the disappointment I am surprised at the amount of criticism at the timing and locale of a short session of dancing with your sister. I expect the club to have an intra club at the time that best works for the players and their season preparation. I expect that anyone who attends an intra club are the hard core supporters that will buy the same memberships and merchandise just on a different day. I understand the club is about its supporters but the the thing that we have wanted is professionalism and an eye on nothing but game day performance. Having it at a better time and better location for supporters seems to me to be the least important item.

• Like 2

Absolutely, but that really is not going to be affected by moving the intra club back or forward a few days, having it at Gosch's, and having the players stick around for an hour after.

Yes, but I'm sure the club had its reasons for not having it at Gosch's (which probably would have suited them more as well, logistically speaking). As Wiseblood said, they had given plenty of notice, so surely that meant that supporters had plenty of time to make some sort of arrangements to be there (those fanatical enough to go to a practice match, that is)?

Anyway, I'm probably the last person you should try to convince that it should be held at a time and place that suited more supporters...I'm bitter and twisted over the fact that if I want to see them perform live this year, it must be a great personal expense to myself.

Yes, but I'm sure the club had its reasons for not having it at Gosch's (which probably would have suited them more as well, logistically speaking). As Wiseblood said, they had given plenty of notice, so surely that meant that supporters had plenty of time to make some sort of arrangements to be there (those fanatical enough to go to a practice match, that is)?

Anyway, I'm probably the last person you should try to convince that it should be held at a time and place that suited more supporters...I'm bitter and twisted over the fact that if I want to see them perform live this year, it must be a great personal expense to myself.

Having it at Gosch's isn't necessarily the problem - not taking advantage of a day when people are coming along to watch is. In that regard it is most certainly an opportunity lost.

• Like 2

Had it been on a weekend I could've taken my young kid to sign up and get a few autographs. Might've even brought along some school friends and encouraged them to follow the dees. The kids love to watch a game, even if it is an intraclub. Sausage sizzle, drinks and merchandise... easy $150+ there for the club. At Casey on a Thursday at 3pm, no chance. Sure, it was about the coaches and players getting a match simulation going, but the club lost an opportunity to generate a little more income and much more supporter enthusiasm. We need to learn from this.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 5

It's really disappointing that certain posters here seem entirely incapable of keeping it to the training reports and continually play the man instead of the ball.

First of all, it's bloody tedious to read. Second, it's genuinely pathetic.

We all support the same club. And, for me at least, Saty is possibly the most important poster on this site - he continually provides information that I find interesting and relevant.

• Like 3

Absolutely agree. Some of the 'debates' here are absolutely petty in the extreme.

Right now, outside of the Dogs, we are down the bottom of the membership ladder. Even St. Kilda has surpassed us now by signing up more than 3,000 members compared to this time last year. The club missed a huge opportunity to make some more inroads before the season even begins.

• Like 1

It's really disappointing that certain posters here seem entirely incapable of keeping it to the training reports and continually play the man instead of the ball.

We all support the same club. And, for me at least, Saty is possibly the most important poster on this site - he continually provides information that I find interesting and relevant.

First of all this is an intra club thread big man, so settle down. The discussion IS about the intra club match.

Secondly it's a valid point that's been supported by many others here. It's relevant to this thread.

Webber

I was wondering after reading some of your previous seemingly professional opinion on injuries

wether you had any comment on my observations about foot strike.

I noticed in the latest pics that there are not many players coming down on their heels which was the issue I raised from viewing the pic of 666 last practice.

I also note that there do not appear to be as many feet shots in the last lot.

The references I have seen refer about barefoot running and particularly as an appraisal of footwear is that forward lean and short strides are best for efficient body dynamics.

I would be interested not only on your thoughts but particularly your observations of players.

It may be a bit obscure and even irrelevant so understand if you choose to tell me that

Thanks

dpositive, I'd doubt very much if the players are being told to 'stay off' their heels, or deliberately spend more time on their forefoot, other than the fact that 'leaning' forward when sprinting has been a mantra to improved speed for decades, and as we increase speed, we use forefoot strike more anyway. So they'll be getting running technique coaching to that effect where it's needed anyway. The whole issue of 'barefoot running' has become a trend since some recent studies showed that habitual barefoot runners (pretty much only African) are no more at risk of overuse injuries than those running the same amounts with shoe support and control. The biomechanical argument is then that we trust our shoes too much to cushion us for heel strike, and thus heel strike too commonly.

What we do know is that people who move from full shoe control to barefoot type levels of freedom cold turkey, are prone to problems. Exactly how and what the method is of weaning off control hasn't really been established yet, and I'm not sure how it would impact footy, where kicking and gripping the turf are key issues with boot design.

• Like 1

First of all this is an intra club thread big man, so settle down. The discussion IS about the intra club match.

Secondly it's a valid point that's been supported by many others here. It's relevant to this thread.

I'm perfectly calm.

If you read this thread, objectively, as I do - you will see that there's a little brigade of posters who continually disagree with whatever Saty posts and then they furiously 'like' one anothers posts to the extent that they express a contrary (albeit at times a completely legitimate and relevant) view.

I have not met one other regular poster on this site in person. I do not particularly care to meet anyone either.

That said, I really enjoy reading the content here. I just find it annoying when posters attack each other - it's simply unnecessary and, for most others I expect, boring.

If people want to attack others over the net, log onto BomberBlitz and wreak some havoc over there. Don't terrorise the Demons community.

• Like 2

Im surprised that an opportunity to see how the players are faring on a weekend near Melbourne is dismissed so readily.

I live near Luna Park but "day Outs" there are so much B#lls!t to me.

I dont want to shake someones hand, ribe crap rides, just to buy a tshirt.My boys lost interest. Its just me.

As an aside, some mates have asked to use Elsternwick Park today for a charity cricket match. They sent one email and it was replied to and all good.There will be about 40 people there. (go down and look if you want to drive right in)

When the Rockdogs play it holds at least 10000 people. Its close to a train station, plenty of parking, off Nepean Highway. Piece of P$$.

I could have organised the inter club better in 2 lunch times.

Unless I've missed some stuff that the mods have deleted, I'd say the last few pages have been pretty tame Ron. It's been constructive disagreement IMO, and I'm sure most have listened to the mods warnings. By and large it's been relevant to the practice match and how practice matches can be used to generate supporter interest and club revenue. It was on topic until your post and subsequently now mine.

• Like 3

Garbage. I don't think anyone is playing the man.

The club could have done this better, it's posts like this that try to limit legitimate discussion about the Melbourne Football Club that irk me.

We all have a stake in the club and if I want to talk about what it can do better I will. As I will about the team or an individual.

If we can't talk about what the club can do better then we really wouldn't have much to talk talk about. We can't exactly bask in the glory of recent achievements.

Edited by jabberwocky
  • Like 3

We all support the same club. And, for me at least, Saty is possibly the most important poster on this site -

he continually provides information that I find interesting and relevant.

Come off it Ron where have we attacked the man? If your talking about Saty please show me where we have personally attacked him? Lets not start putting him on top of other just because we have a disagreement on all things footy.

I think its fair to say that even him would say we are discussing a very important football issues here and that we haven't played the man at all.

Edited by dazzledavey36

dpositive, I'd doubt very much if the players are being told to 'stay off' their heels, or deliberately spend more time on their forefoot, other than the fact that 'leaning' forward when sprinting has been a mantra to improved speed for decades, and as we increase speed, we use forefoot strike more anyway. So they'll be getting running technique coaching to that effect where it's needed anyway. The whole issue of 'barefoot running' has become a trend since some recent studies showed that habitual barefoot runners (pretty much only African) are no more at risk of overuse injuries than those running the same amounts with shoe support and control. The biomechanical argument is then that we trust our shoes too much to cushion us for heel strike, and thus heel strike too commonly.

What we do know is that people who move from full shoe control to barefoot type levels of freedom cold turkey, are prone to problems. Exactly how and what the method is of weaning off control hasn't really been established yet, and I'm not sure how it would impact footy, where kicking and gripping the turf are key issues with boot design.

Thanks Webber

You have confirmed my limited understanding which was inflamed when I saw the pics and thought about our foot injury problems.

As New Balance are our sponsors they would be alert to any problems as it would impact on their brand.

I see it as a good thing that we have them as sponsors

The club could have done this better

I don't think it is a massive issue but i think this comment sums it up - as do the others that noted it was an opportunity lost. They could have - and probably should have - done better. And the concerns raised they didn't are completely valid.

Like another poster i went past the Pies intra club game last Thursday night. The place was rocking and you could not help be jealous of the buzz. It is worth noting it was held at night, when obviously players would not ordinarily be training. Which implies the maggies were thinking of their fans when scheduling the game (and perhaps also an opportunity to show of the impressive ground and lighting set up) as opposed to not deviating from the regimented pre season training routine for fear of impacting on player performance.

I went to the AGM and listened with interest to PJ's overview of the new Strategic Plan. Two key planks of the plan are building the membership to 50,000 and reengaging with the supposed supporter heartland in the south east and bayside suburbs. All decisions an organisation makes should be done using a lens of the Strat plan and the question asked - how does activity x contribute to achieving specific strategic goals. If you apply that lens to the decision to hold the intra club game at Casey on a Thursday arvo this decision can only be seen as a fail.

Hold the game on a Saturday or even under lights somewhere (if available) in the South Eastern bayside area - an area which by the by is very accessible to people living in Casey. Pump it it up in those suburbs. Put a bus to and from the Casey ground to show support for that area and the club. Provide entertainment, food, access to players not involved etc so people are encouraged to bring their kids. Have merch and membership sales available. In short make it an event. This approach would have supported the achievement of two of the clubs brand new strategic goals that the CEO trumpeted at the AGM to members and would likley not impact on the overarching goal of winning more games of football.

Again it is completely reasonable to question the clubs decision on this one.

Edited by binman
  • Like 10

And yet you "like" posts that label people "morons". Turn it up.

Saty has defended the decision. His view has been contested. He can handle himself just fine on his own without you continually pointing out how wonderful you think he is and asking people to stay on topic by making off-topic posts.

What.I find tedious are comments that derail a legitimate debate that you already saw fit to label as "petty". It's anything but petty. It's perfectly reasonable when looking at the way in which other clubs, large and small, have used the opportunity. Getting a glimpse of Hogan clunking marks and ragdolling teammates would've been good for 50 memberships on its own.

• Like 2

Further to this discussion I reckon they should consider having training on sat morning in the pre season. This would allow many more fans to come along and would help with fan engagement. Have a demon army BBQ and occasionally some added extras for kids like a mini clinic or team mascot and make it a ritual. No reason why players couldn't have the Monday off instead. Tyson (or frost?) said gws train sat

Edited by binman
  • Like 3

Further to this discussion I reckon they should consider having training on sat morning in the pre season. This would allow many more fans to come along and would help with fan engagement. Have a demon army BBQ and occasionally some added extras for kids like a mini clinic or team mascot and make it a ritual. No reason why players couldn't have the Monday off instead. Tyson (or frost?) said gws train sat

Since Ken Hinkley became coach of Port they now train on Saturday mornings on top of the monday Wednesday Friday that they do. And we have already know how physically hard they push themselfs.

• Like 1