How do we attract more members to this Forum?

CBDees

Checking out the profile of Dee supporters viewing this site, currently there are 45 members and 85 others. I am surprised that the numbers are not reversed? It seems amazing that there would be 2/3 voyeurs versus 1/3 participants joining in discussions? If you are a non-Demonlander reading this, why don't you join up before logging off?

I suggest a disclaimer should be put on the site which guarantees that insanity will not be afflicted upon any new members of the site. Any potential member who reads a website whose contributors suggest that we recruit Tim Tebow and Richard Tambling, play Jake Spencer as a decoy full forward, not hire Cameron Ling as a coach as he is too ugly or says that everyone in the banking industry is inherently untrustworthy is sure to have some reservations.

I think a lot of the people who just look in, then move on, would be checking for any interesting fragments of information and training reports.

But seriously, with the snarky, surly, personal tone that so many threads here degenerate into, it's not exactly a surprise that people think "Nah, I'm not going to get into that."

I'd endorse a 'mod rule' that authorised a simple blanking/deleting of any comment that includes sniping lines like "Where you even at the same game? / You clearly have no idea about football / what would you know / only an idiot would" and so on. People would be perfectly welcome to repost their point, of course.

In fact, a brief period of summertime enforcement would reset the tone quickly, ready to welcome passing strangers as the season gets closer.

All that said, things do improve this time of year, everyone is in a better mood after the draft! :rolleyes:

• Like 7

I think a lot of the people who just look in, then move on, would be checking for any interesting fragments of information and training reports.

But seriously, with the snarky, surly, personal tone that so many threads here degenerate into, it's not exactly a surprise that people think "Nah, I'm not going to get into that."

I'd endorse a 'mod rule' that authorised a simple blanking/deleting of any comment that includes sniping lines like "Where you even at the same game? / You clearly have no idea about football / what would you know / only an idiot would" and so on. People would be perfectly welcome to repost their point, of course.

In fact, a brief period of summertime enforcement would reset the tone quickly, ready to welcome passing strangers as the season gets closer.

All that said, things do improve this time of year, everyone is in a better mood after the draft! :rolleyes:

I fully agree. It still is remarkable that there have already been 400+ views of this post in just over four hours, whilst only 32 members were shown as logged in. A slow news day l expect (or tragics with nothing else on NYE)? Edited by CBDees

No need to log on all the time unless I post. Many times I am one of those anonymous others just catching up and I am sure many members do the same. Most other open forums will have a similar balance between active members and lookers.

Edited by america de cali

Agree entirely. Many people would find the too often abusive nature of many posts a disincentive to participate.

If the snipers could find it in themselves to stop looking for trouble it could well make a difference to member numbers.

Being belittled for not sharing a particular point of view is not a pleasant experience for many.

• Like 3

Non members who view these pages should not hesitate about joining us.

They fit the profile of all D'Landers.

If you take a look at the date. NYE.

and they are on the computer they don't have a life outside football.

WELCOME TO D"LAND!

• Like 3

Here we go again.

Posting reasonable points of view with no personal abuse does not make you a "rabbit".

With all due respect obbafan, just because someone makes a fair and reasonable point of view different to your's doesn't mean "here we go again". ET used an analogy to illustrate his point. I thought It was a good one and less negative than your reply. Life is full of different characters and footy is a very, very passionate and emotional game to follow. I think 'land is pretty tame compared to what I have seen on BF and other club supporter forums.

I regularly check in from other devices, so at times would be a guest, but only really post on one.

• Like 1

Just block Satyr's training reports for non-paid up members. That should do it.

There's probably more than a few Supercoach players who visit sites like this looking for info on players in their team or potential trade ins.

• Like 1

How to attract members in two steps:

• Advertise. Get members to wear demonland caps to games or something.
  • Stop the trolling BS. The mods need to do their jobs and keep threads on track. Every thread I read winds up being derailed by the same few posters reenacting the same tired arguments.

You'd be amazed how much these two things would do to improve the place.

• Like 3

With all due respect obbafan, just because someone makes a fair and reasonable point of view different to your's doesn't mean "here we go again". ET used an analogy to illustrate his point. I thought It was a good one and less negative than your reply. Life is full of different characters and footy is a very, very passionate and emotional game to follow. I think 'land is pretty tame compared to what I have seen on BF and other club supporter forums.

I regularly check in from other devices, so at times would be a guest, but only really post on one.

Fair enough. Point taken but it was not the contrasting view that I was commenting on.

That is what I enjoy and look for here.

It was the rabbit bit and as you point out it was an analogy. Cheers.

• Like 1

How to attract members in two steps:

• Advertise. Get members to wear demonland caps to games or something.
  • Stop the trolling BS. The mods need to do their jobs and keep threads on track. Every thread I read winds up being derailed by the same few posters reenacting the same tired arguments.
You'd be amazed how much these two things would do to improve the place.

My understanding is that the mods aren't getting paid by the hour....plus there's nothing wrong with the odd citizens arrest. Some of the derailments are just an extension of the topic, I'd rather that then a new topic started every five minutes. When that is the case it's easy enough to follow. Edited by Al's Demons