THE ROAD TO ROUND 1, 2015

iv'a worn smith

Based on the rumour that the Saints may now pick up McCartin, then my revised team will be:

FB: Jetta Frost Dunn

HB: Garland McDonald Lumumba

C: Vince Jones Watts

HF: Howe Hogan Petracca
FF: Garlett Gawn Kent

Foll: Jamar Tyson Cross

Int: Brayshaw Viney Toumpas

S: Salem

E: Pederson, Bail JKH

• Like 1

Petracca and Brayshaw will give Ablett a football lesson

I'm of the opinion that we will be lucky to see Ablett playing in the first half of next year. Was still in a sling on Brownlow night, indicating he has had a major rebuild of his shoulder.

From personal experience that means 12 weeks in sling. Then 12 months of physio....

I would hate to not see a player of his calibre returning to his best, but on the face of it this wasn't a "pop out -pop back" type of injury.

I'm of the opinion that we will be lucky to see Ablett playing in the first half of next year. Was still in a sling on Brownlow night, indicating he has had a major rebuild of his shoulder.

From personal experience that means 12 weeks in sling. Then 12 months of physio....

I would hate to not see a player of his calibre returning to his best, but on the face of it this wasn't a "pop out -pop back" type of injury.

It's confirmed that will Ablett will be playing in the Nab Challenge.

Already training.

Ablett will be playing rd 1.

We will surprise many teams (and commentators) this year. Mark my words! The Gold Coast will be the first team to encounter the 'new-look' Demons!

We will surprise many teams (and commentators) this year. Mark my words! The Gold Coast will be the first team to encounter the 'new-look' Demons!

As soon as we start to look even half decent, be that next year, or the year after, get ready for the accusations of success being gifted to us with AFL funding, hand picked CEO, Frawley compensation etc.

They will come from all corners. Facts will get twisted. Lies will be told. Anything will be said to justify the Dees remaining down the bottom of the ladder where they belong.

Once those accusations start to eek out, you know we will have arrived as a threat.

• Like 2

Based on the rumour that the Saints may now pick up McCartin, then my revised team will be:

M.Jones 5th in the bnf.. another year in the system and you have him out?

Pedersen out too? One of the best marking forwards we have?

As soon as we start to look even half decent, be that next year, or the year after, get ready for the accusations of success being gifted to us with AFL funding, hand picked CEO, Frawley compensation etc.

They will come from all corners. Facts will get twisted. Lies will be told. Anything will be said to justify the Dees remaining down the bottom of the ladder where they belong.

Once those accusations start to eek out, you know we will have arrived as a threat.

Bring it on I reckon. Once Eddie and the boys start thinking how to stop us, it just means we are a threat. I hope all the born to rule mobs at Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton pay us their undivided attention trying to stop us. We would have arrived at last...

• Like 1

M.Jones 5th in the bnf.. another year in the system and you have him out?

Pedersen out too? One of the best marking forwards we have?

You seem to overlook that we are adding ten talented players to our list plus bringing in Hogan and upgrading Jetta. Somebody has to make way in the process if we are to improve our onfield performance or what is the point? Do you want Pederson over Hogan or Jones over either Brayshaw or Petracca?

Edited by CBDees
  • Like 1

It's confirmed that will Ablett will be playing in the Nab Challenge.

Already training.

Ablett will be playing rd 1.

5 months after injury and he can't or won't use his shoulder or arm yet. Notice also he is the only player not in a singlet?

Yes 4 months or so to go before start of season, but if nerves have been damaged as often happens with shoulder, nothing but time can make them re-grow faster:

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/video/2014-11-12/preseason-report-november-12

Dawes? Although given his history it's likely he won't there for rnd 1. But assuming he is I'd send Dawes to CHF and Hogan into one of the forward flanks and leave Gawn as FF. Kent to the bench and Toumpas misses out currently (although all reports are he's going well so Salem could make way. All of a sudden fitting people in is getting harder!

Dawes? Although given his history it's likely he won't there for rnd 1. But assuming he is I'd send Dawes to CHF and Hogan into one of the forward flanks and leave Gawn as FF. Kent to the bench and Toumpas misses out currently (although all reports are he's going well so Salem could make way. All of a sudden fitting people in is getting harder!

Dawes is suspended for round 1

5 months after injury and he can't or won't use his shoulder or arm yet. Notice also he is the only player not in a singlet?

Yes 4 months or so to go before start of season, but if nerves have been damaged as often happens with shoulder, nothing but time can make them re-grow faster:

http://www.goldcoastfc.com.au/video/2014-11-12/preseason-report-november-12

He can't lift his left arm...on the video at the 1.02 mark he uses his right hand to juggle the ball and his left arm is virtually motionless. Not to say he won't be available rnd 1 but he may be restricted in what he can do. O'Meara is also unlikely to play rnd 1.

Would be unbelievable to win rnd 1 especially as rounds 5 - 9 are going to be pretty tough to win. A few wins in Rnds 1 -4 would really help fan enthusiasm and memberships.

3-4 wins at the half way mark is what I am hoping for.

you call that "hope"?

Yes - look at the draw! Our team in the 1st half will not be markedly different than 2014 when we beat only 1 of the teams in next years 1st half. 5 of 2015 first half teams were 2014 final 8 teams. Hard to see us winning those. Leaves 6 games which we could realistically win. So yes, 3-4 wins will be a good result at the 1/2 way mark.

Will be delighted if we do better!

Yes - look at the draw! Our team in the 1st half will not be markedly different than 2014 when we beat only 1 of the teams in next years 1st half. 5 of 2015 first half teams were 2014 final 8 teams. Hard to see us winning those. Leaves 6 games which we could realistically win. So yes, 3-4 wins will be a good result at the 1/2 way mark.

Will be delighted if we do better!

Not sure

add in Lamumba, Garlett, Frost and how can we forget Hogan !!

another preseason into a a few of the kids and re-runs and I think we might just make it to the 'markedly" different line :)

now the draft is done this exercise can be done properly

my preferred round 1 team

B - Neville Jetta - Lynden Dunn - Colin Garland

HB - Heritier Lumumba - Tom McDonald - Jeremy Howe

C - Bernie Vince - Dom Tyson - Jay Kennedy-Harris

HF - Christian Petracca - Cam Pedersen - Dean Kent

F - Max Gawn - Jesse Hogan - Jeff Garlett

R - Mark Jamar - Jack Viney - Nathan Jones

I/C - Daniel Cross - Viv Michie - Jack Watts - Angus Brayshaw

it feels nice to name a team where I dont feel like I have to force the names Salem, Grimes and Toumpas just cos od their names

Although theres every chance all three of them will play round 1, this is just my preferred team

I name a 4 man interchange as I live in hope the AFL will scrap the ridiculous sub rule before the season begins

• Like 1

now the draft is done this exercise can be done properly

my preferred round 1 team

B - Neville Jetta - Lynden Dunn - Colin Garland

HB - Heritier Lumumba - Tom McDonald - Jeremy Howe

C - Bernie Vince - Dom Tyson - Jay Kennedy-Harris

HF - Christian Petracca - Cam Pedersen - Dean Kent

F - Max Gawn - Jesse Hogan - Jeff Garlett

R - Mark Jamar - Jack Viney - Nathan Jones

I/C - Daniel Cross - Viv Michie - Jack Watts - Angus Brayshaw

it feels nice to name a team where I dont feel like I have to force the names Salem, Grimes and Toumpas just cos od their names

Although theres every chance all three of them will play round 1, this is just my preferred team

I name a 4 man interchange as I live in hope the AFL will scrap the ridiculous sub rule before the season begins

I'll be staggered if Frost doesn't play.

• Like 1

I'll be staggered if Frost doesn't play.

Good chance he plays but i wouldn't be staggered if he doesnt

Although GC do have some nice tall forward options, dont they?

T Mac, Dunn and Garland can take them but yeah i think youre right Frost probbaly will play, perhaps even at the expense of Garland who had a poor 2014 and needs to have a strong summer

Looking at the round 1 line up from Demonlanders, many have left out Bail, M. Jones and the co-skip Grimes.

I respect the efforts of Bail and Jones but the sooner the likes of Salem, Toump and JKH step up (whilst the new boys are developing) and take their spots the sooner we will rise.

I have been watching the 2014 replays on Foxtel with a focus on Grimes as many on this board have pointed out his weaknesses. I have always been a fan of Franky but he is not agile or quick enough to play on the smalls, and is 50/50 disposing of the ball to a Dees jumper when not kicking sideways/backwards. I admire the way he puts his body on the line but I really can't see where his positon is in 2015 (especially with Lulumba and Frost coming in to the back six).

• Like 2

My Round 1 side:

Garland McDonald Dunn

Jetta Frost Lumumba

Vince Tyson Kent

Howe Pederson Watts

Garlett Hogan Salem

Jamar Jones Viney

I/C Cross JKH Toumpas Petracca

I can see Kent, Salem and JKH pushing further up the field.

I like the way that you think however I would be inclined to name Gawn instead of Pederson largely based on helping Jamar out with the ruckwork. Also I would like to delay a call on whether JKH or Toumpas starts until after the preseason]. I agree with your earlier post on Grimes.