Dom Barry steps away from AFL

Bang Bang Bang

Ollie Wines (round 1, 2013-present) and Brodie Grundy (round 1, 2013-present) > Jesse Hogan (round 1, 2015-present).

Add Dawes (and Barry) into the equasion if you want but considerable overs were still paid.

No they weren't, because we could never have had Wines and Grundy ....

Been thrashed over here ad nauseam, the trade of Pick 3 for Hogan was part of the deal that let Viney slip to pick 26 and gave GWS a clear run at the first 3 picks.

In any case, it's all irrelevant. Hogan is a once in a generation player, the kind of player you can build a team around (as Chris Connolly remarked today ...). Whatever we had to pay was worth it.

• Like 2

I think something that may being overlooked is the culture/leadership/attitude this can build amongst the group.

The fact that we've supported him after he's left, similar to Clark, shows that the MFC cares about their players, their wellbeing and them as people as opposed to just numbers. This is something Roos et al have brought in and continue to work on/build.

You see the clubs with good cultures, Sydney/Hawthorn in particular that will often do the best by their players, no matter where they sit on the list. I wouldn't be surprised if we brought him back as a rookie and continued to support him. This would have a flow on effect onto the rest of the team.

The days where we throw our champions and leaders onto the scrap heap are gone I believe. We're doing things right. I trust the crew steering our ship these days.

They have to be worth supporting. Clark was worth having a go at because he is a top 3 at the club type player. Barry was a rank struggler.

Re the bits in bold, yes, great, but he's not even on our list. And we're not throwing a champion or leader. We're throwing a guy who played a handful of average games and walked out on us.

I'd gladly take a punt on him over:

McKenzie

Matt Jones

Terlich

How bloody ridiculous. It irritates me that Matt Jones and Terlich are rubbished on this site. Both have a capacity, greater than many better regarded players, to get the ball. If you can't get it you can't contribute.

I will bet that both play a role this year especially as young players get tired.

As for McKenzie, he has a distinct role which is respected at the club. Remember Dean Chiron?! He wasn't the most talented to grace our list, but he helped us into the finals

Finally, as to Dom Barry, the rest of this year will decide the matter will it not? I suspect that if he buckles down he will be given a chance. Must say I didn't think he was up to it, but they offered him a further contract

Steak-knives in the Hogan deal.

As good as Hogan is, we basically gave up Wines and Grundy for him and Barry.

I love Hogan, I'm a big fan of getting him on the list but that trade I'm still not sold on.

It's a prime example of the incompetencies at the trade table and in recruiting during the Neeld error (era).

why do you say wines?

we could have had him no problems. we bypassed him for pickett's lad

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Love all the experts saying how Dom wasn't up to it etc etc

Yet Paul Roos saw enough to give Dom a new contract last year

He will have to work extra hard, given that he was considered the right guy to be listed then walked for whatever reasons, to convince Roos (and Goodwin) that he has the desire and drive to deserve a place back on the (rookie) list. I will trust their judgement. They haven't done much wrong.

If it helps the 'experts' on here, both Nev Jetta and JKH rated him as a player with a very big upside

I'm sure the experts will be "thrilled" with that information.

• Like 12

If it helps the 'experts' on here, both Nev Jetta and JKH rated him as a player with a very big upside

Nah, doesn't help me at all.

• Like 10

I'd gladly take a punt on him over:

McKenzie

Matt Jones

Terlich

Why is this even an argument ? shouldn't the argument be "would you take a punt on Barry and why are we still punting on McKenzie. Jones and Terlich ?"

• Like 1

Watched the game last night between NT Thunder and GWS ressies. Barry played in the midfield and kicked a couple, but didn't get much of the ball, and just didn't seem to get involved. If you went to the game as a recruiter, you'd take Richard Tambling ahead of him.

If I was a GWS supporter, I'd be salivating over the prospects they have developing. Marchbank looks like a star, and Ahern would be getting game time for us. One player who was really good for them in their early years but seems out of favour is Adam Kennedy. I think he'd add to our depleted midfield stocks and wouldn't cost much.

• Like 3

You won't see anything, Dom Barry said he was looking at having another crack, the decision is not his alone, the Club has been supporting him and has provided him with dietary and fitness help

Lol.... yea because he has really taken that on board hasn't he.

Why is this even an argument ? shouldn't the argument be "would you take a punt on Barry and why are we still punting on McKenzie. Jones and Terlich ?"

Well I would expect (contract status permitting) that that trio won't be here 2016. So one other could be worth a punt. Over to Roos et al.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.