Patrick McCartin

Whispering_Jack

Patty McCartin has never played against the Jets, and unless your mate is electing to not watch his son play in favour of going to watch Falcons, it's very unlikely he's seen much of him. For what it's worth, Laverde (a good player) is much more of a receiver than either them.

He had been involved in junior footy for years it may not have been with the Jets.

Wright plays for my local club the Calder Cannons and there one of the best teams every year and played in the TAC cup grand final this year so I'm not sure we're the bad team comes from?

Maybe the delivery was very poor this year.

So what would you do?

Take a mid you rated between 5 and 10 or take the bloke you rated 3?

I'd take the bloke I rated 3.

I'd take two of the best three mids of this draft class.

My point was that one teams 'reach' is another team's star player.

Those limiting the choices to four players irritate me. We can pick any two players that the Saints didn't pick at one.

• Like 1

Those limiting the choices to four players irritate me. We can pick any two players that the Saints didn't pick at one.

The problem in this draft is that there really aren't many genuine mids and in mine and seeminingly most creditable opinions probably only one who warrants being taken ahead of unique key position talent. The likely top pick is a converted forward who was clearly beaten by a player most mock drafts don't have in the top 30, the next best mid is a good but hardly salivating or automatic gun prospect and of the next 10-12 projected players running players, none necessarily project as players likely to play in the centre square at AFL level - Laverde, Duggan, Ahern, Pickett, De Goey et cetera. Seems that people think there is going to be an apocalyptical dearth of midfielders in upcoming drafts or something.

In reality the choices should be limited to three players, what point is there having more?

• Like 2

You got to pick who you like.

Thomas and Pendlebury worth reaches for the Pies. Roughead (more so) and Franklin for the Hawks. But they took who they rated.

We need talent in every position. So take who you think are the best. It's just interesting the know who the next midfielder off the board will be and to which club. I'm not really buying Laverde as the second best midfielder in the draft but maybe that's the way it goes.

The problem in this draft is that there really aren't many genuine mids and in mine and seeminingly most creditable opinions probably only one who warrants being taken ahead of unique key position talent. The likely top pick is a converted forward who was clearly beaten by a player most mock drafts don't have in the top 30, the next best mid is a good but hardly salivating or automatic gun prospect and of the next 10-12 projected players running players, none necessarily project as players likely to play in the centre square at AFL level - Laverde, Duggan, Ahern, Pickett, De Goey et cetera. Seems that people think there is going to be an apocalyptical dearth of midfielders in upcoming drafts or something.

In reality the choices should be limited to three players, what point is there having more?

...and if we can get him at 40 we will have a good player and one that can play in the centre square.

Looks good to me David!

Thomas and Pendlebury worth reaches for the Pies. Roughead (more so) and Franklin for the Hawks. But they took who they rated.

We need talent in every position. So take who you think are the best. It's just interesting the know who the next midfielder off the board will be and to which club. I'm not really buying Laverde as the second best midfielder in the draft but maybe that's the way it goes.

You got to pick who you like.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-10-30/going-places-plugger-mccartin-in-the-hot-seat-as-six-afl-clubs-circle

After looking at McCartin on the AFL App yesterday (link above) there is much to like about how McCartin asserts himself. I would be more than happy to see MFC end up with him and Brayshaw [and maybe Oscar McDonald at #40?], Assuming that we collect Newton tomorrow, with HL, Garlett, Stretch and Frost (plus Hogan), I am looking forward to us against the Suns in Round 1, 2015?

PS: Another full pre-season into Toumpas, Salem, Viney, Tyson and Riley won't harm us on the field either.

Patty McCartin has never played against the Jets, and unless your mate is electing to not watch his son play in favour of going to watch Falcons, it's very unlikely he's seen much of him. For what it's worth, Laverde (a good player) is much more of a receiver than either them.

Am I right in guessing that you're in the Brayshaw/McCartin camp?

Well, after all it is the McCartin thread so it is logical.

I think that is what will happen. I'd be very close to taking McCartin and Wright, I think they would complement each other nicely and the club would have stashed away a truly nightmarish forward setup for other teams to worry about for years. They are both beasts. Brayshaw is good and he would be a safe/steady pick, which is probably a sensible line to take but Im not sure I could take him ahead of either of the two forwards. My only question mark re McCartin is the management of his illness, but he is extrememly talented and I know a few clubs would 100% be taking him at number 1. Not a huge rap for this draft. Had Petracca been proven to not be able to play in the midfield he would still be a gruaranteed top 10 pick as a medium sized marking forward and most of the players have enormous question marks hanging over them in terms of being top picks.

• Like 2

After the Ollie Wines debacle, if what we are left with is Brayshaw and Mc Cartin and we don't take Mc Cartin and he does what Ollie has done this year, I reckon there will be a few around he that will be pushed close to the edge,.... Including me!

We simply must take him given the write-ups and info.

As you all know I love in an under mids , but I reckon we are some way down the track with rectifying this.

FCS Take the next best key forward and it is Patrick Mc Cartin!

I would hate to see what happens around here if we don't take him and he becomes a gun Forward!??

Eh?

• Like 2

I think that is what will happen. I'd be very close to taking McCartin and Wright, I think they would complement each other nicely and the club would have stashed away a truly nightmarish forward setup for other teams to worry about for years. They are both beasts. Brayshaw is good and he would be a safe/steady pick, which is probably a sensible line to take but I'm not sure I could take him ahead of either of the two forwards.

With you 100% on this - It would be one scary forward line. I like the idea of these guys developing like Schwarz & Neitz did in their development years. Having other talented guys to train against & push each other is a valuable development tool in itself.

Question is who has the final say at the draft table.... Is it Roosy's or Taylor/ Viney's call? You'd have to assume Roos pulls rank with his philosophy on not drafting bigs from the U18 comp.

I'm all for him. I know we need "midfielders, midfielders, midfielders" but the reason we had low inside 50s last year is because we had such a poor forward line.

(Chokes on cornflakes)

It might sound ridiculous, but he actually makes a reasonable point. Now I'm not saying our forward structure was THE reason for our low inside 50 count, but it certainly contributed. How many times did our mids get scared into going sideways-backwards-turnover because he had no legitimate marking forwards? Was the most frustrating facet of our game this year. We'd get plenty of marks 60-80 metres out from goal, but we couldn't convert them into inside 50's. Edited by Scythe

After the Ollie Wines debacle, if what we are left with is Brayshaw and Mc Cartin and we don't take Mc Cartin and he does what Ollie has done this year, I reckon there will be a few around he that will be pushed close to the edge,.... Including me!

As you all know I love in an under mids , but I reckon we are some way down the track with rectifying this.

I would hate to see what happens around here if we don't take him and he becomes a gun Forward!??

Eh?

What happens if we do take him and he becomes the Anti-Watts, a bang crash player with a dodgy kick and Laverde/Lever/Any other draft mid goes onto to become Pendle clones?

We won't nail both picks. If we do then the Norm Smith curse is over and I can kiss goodbye to my regular re infections of MFCSS

I'm all for him. I know we need "midfielders, midfielders, midfielders" but the reason we had low inside 50s last year is because we had such a poor forward line.

Interesting theory.

I don't agree.

The forward line probably was responsible in part for our inside 50 count, but I'd apportion the blame something like 80-20 or higher. Meaning the midfield remains the number 1 concern.

Eh?

By definition we are going to pass on every single player except one.

I fully expect you to complain about whichever player from pick 4 onwards does well before either of our players does well.

What happens if we do take him and he becomes the Anti-Watts, a bang crash player with a dodgy kick and Laverde/Lever/Any other draft mid goes onto to become Pendle clones?

We won't nail both picks. If we do then the Norm Smith curse is over and I can kiss goodbye to my regular re infections of MFCSS

Watch his highlights and you will see that his kicking is far from dodgy!

Edited by CBDees

His kicking is not in the dodgy mould of a John Butcher, his action is ok. It seems he sometimes has a mental block when kicking for goal.

• Like 1

Eh?

Picket, you'd be bored if we didn't stuff up one of them. What else would you vent about in ill-placed quotation marks and capital letters?

• Like 1