Patrick McCartin

Whispering_Jack

We may wish for a better forward line, but is recruiting a young Dawes with pick 3 the answer..?

He's not Dawes 'Machsy', he does mark the ball and mark well.

My point is we do need to improve our forward line dramatically and those calling for mids, mids, mids need to open their eyes to this. The games I went to this year our forward line was appalling and when the mids were going ok they had no one to kick to in the forward half.

Now whether McCartin is the answer I don't know, if we get the 2013 version then he was well on the way. If he's not the answer we better have a good plan to get either Cameron or Walker for 2016.

• Like 5

He's not Dawes 'Machsy', he does mark the ball and mark well.

My point is we do need to improve our forward line dramatically and those calling for mids, mids, mids need to open their eyes to this. The games I went to this year our forward line was appalling and when the mids were going ok they had no one to kick to in the forward half.

Now whether McCartin is the answer I don't know, if we get the 2013 version then he was well on the way. If he's not the answer we better have a good plan to get either Cameron or Walker for 2016.

We still need the clear thinking mids to get it to them. With Hoges on board we can expect a much better forward line next year!

Forget Mccartin guys, we wont be selecting him!

You were called Rowdy Yates early in your career I believe, Clint, man of few words indeed, no need to elaborate!

We may wish for a better forward line, but is recruiting a young Dawes with pick 3 the answer..?

Young Dawes?

The guy can take a good pack mark. Yet to see that with Dawes. I think people are underrating by McCartins kicking. He actually has a good kicking action and just sometimes get the yelps. Bring him into a AFL environment and he will iron those out.

Comparing him to Dawes is laughable.

• Like 2

I know a lot of people here think McCartin should be overlooked for the next best midfielder, but I think we should looking to inject the best talent on our list regardless of position.

We all saw just how much currency Tom Boyd had after 9 games.

Paddy McCartin could be the trade bait for an elite midfielder at the end of 2015. It may net us someone like Rory Sloane!

• Like 1

Young Dawes?

The guy can take a good pack mark. Yet to see that with Dawes. I think people are underrating by McCartins kicking. He actually has a good kicking action and just sometimes get the yelps. Bring him into a AFL environment and he will iron those out.

Comparing him to Dawes is laughable.

If you look at McCartin's highlights then you will see that he manages to post most kicks through the middle. Personally, I feel that he will greatly enhance our list [if selected] and look forard to seeing him and Hogan lining up alonside each other in 2015 [collecting kicks from Brayshaw, Tyson, Viney, Salem, Toumpas etc.]!

I know a lot of people here think McCartin should be overlooked for the next best midfielder, but I think we should looking to inject the best talent on our list regardless of position.

We all saw just how much currency Tom Boyd had after 9 games.

Paddy McCartin could be the trade bait for an elite midfielder at the end of 2015. It may net us someone like Rory Sloane!

Rory will be a free agent I think so it won't matter, but your point on the currency of a key forward is right. They are not so easy to find.

Spoke to a mate who is involved pretty heavily at the Falcons and Geelong footy today, and he said that one of McCartin's strengths is that he can play "deep forward, high forward and even CHB if you need him to". Mentioned that he has been given the deep forward role over the last two years but is definitely more versatile than some realise.

Also said he probably should go number 1 because of St Kilda's needs, but that was pure speculation.

• Like 4

If you look at McCartin's highlights then you will see that he manages to post most kicks through the middle. Personally, I feel that he will greatly enhance our list [if selected] and look forard to seeing him and Hogan lining up alonside each other in 2015 [collecting kicks from Brayshaw, Tyson, Viney, Salem, Toumpas etc.]!

Some interesting thoughts if we end up drafting McCartin.

Firstly, I doubt they would line up alongside each other. McCartin would probably play deep up forward while Hogan, who has a decent tank would play further down the ground at CHF or even a flank for starters (and even possibly in defence).

Secondly, there's the question of whether they would be introduced into the team immediately. I don't think that's how Roosy operates. I also don't recall when two novice KPF's were introduced to VFL/AFL in the same team on the same day.

Firstly, I doubt they would line up alongside each other. McCartin would probably play deep up forward while Hogan, who has a decent tank would play further down the ground at CHF or even a flank for starters (and even possibly in defence).

Secondly, there's the question of whether they would be introduced into the team immediately. I don't think that's how Roosy operates. I also don't recall when two novice KPF's were introduced to VFL/AFL in the same team on the same day.

Buddy and Roughead 2005? Who along with the earlier picks of Hodge and Mitchell and the pick of Lewis as well in the 2004 draft set up the Hawks "unique winning culture"for the coming decade! Dare I say, great draft picks can go a long way to creating a winning culture.

Well, if the forward line doesn't have a Plan B, the midfield doesn't have a Plan A.

12 mids. 12.

We have half that at the moment with the requisite talent and career projection.

We really can't hope for a strong harvest of next years FA crop, and nor can we sacrifice ourselves at the altar of the Church of Best Available.

I agree, except that I think they will take "best available".

And "best available" after Petracca & Brayshaw, taking into account the whole package and disregarding what position he's played so far, is Lever.

Those arguing for Mc.Cartin are arguing on the basis that a promising KPF is our biggest need, bigger than the 3rd-best mid (or potential mid) from this draft. And that either Lever or Laverde, as good as they are, may not make it as a mid.

But I reckon we'll go for "best available" and then work out where to play them. Just like most posters were screaming for in the BP years.

Yes but we must remember that Hogan has been on our list for two years so it is not the same as starting two KPFs on the same day. Personally I am excited about the the possibility of the two of them debuting together with Dawes [just as I was last year with the idea of Mitch Clak, Dawes and Hogan, none of whom appeared at round 1]!

• Like 1

I agree, except that I think they will take "best available".

And "best available" after Petracca & Brayshaw, taking into account the whole package and disregarding what position he's played so far, is Lever.

Those arguing for Mc.Cartin are arguing on the basis that a promising KPF is our biggest need, bigger than the 3rd-best mid (or potential mid) from this draft. And that either Lever or Laverde, as good as they are, may not make it as a mid.

But I reckon we'll go for "best available" and then work out where to play them. Just like most posters were screaming for in the BP years.

Ah best available...like Jimmy Toumpas??

Ah best available...like Jimmy Toumpas??

He was on all evidence 'picket' just like McCartin now who you are pushing for.

This is where the recruiters should earn their money.

For me Toumpas was a steal when we got him, his performances in his first under 18 year in the SNFL where more than good. Like most I have been disappointed with his step up to AFL, given his previous senior experience I expected a lot more.

Now here is the but....often it will take a kid a few years to settle and I think 2 things have really hurt him as far as D-Landers go and that's Watts & Wines. Wines has been an exception, Watts has been the one we have been waiting for and it hasn't happened.

If we look at the history of our coach in waiting it really wan't until his 3rd & 4th years that he became a regular player and went on to being a multiple AA, club captain etc. If Jimmy doesn't really start to show it next season, his 3rd, then I will concede he is a bust as far as being an A grader, I'm not prepared to concede that just yet.

• Like 11

The problem is that unless our midfield drastically improves its supply & delivery to the forward line, Hogan & Mc.Cartin aren't going to make much of a difference.

To kick winning scores, we first have to improve supply from the midfield, and then work out if our forward structures & personnel are right.

• Like 1

The problem is that unless our midfield drastically improves its supply & delivery to the forward line, Hogan & Mc.Cartin aren't going to make much of a difference.

To kick winning scores, we first have to improve supply from the midfield, and then work out if our forward structures & personnel are right.

Get McCartin, go majorly hard at free agent midfielders next year.

• Like 1