Brendan McCartney no longer coach of the Doggies

beelzebub

Neeld had the right vision and direction, but was just a bad people person. His vision to bring in experience and install discipline and defensive strategies is not all that different to what Roos is trying to do.

Its not all that special either. All coaches are seeking to do that.

Thats because they put too much weight on reflected success, corporate speak spin and glossy powerpoint presentations. The people hiring should look deeper into the individual qualities. I am sure there are potentially great assistant coaches wallowing away at unsuccessful clubs who just need the right opportunity but likely never will. Bulldogs fell into the trap in thinking because he was at Geelong he must be good just like us with Neeld and also Sanderson. Reflected success seems to be a mandatory qualification at some clubs.

How would you know what the actual process at each club? In many cases the process is quite rigorous including "looking deeper into individual qualities" process.

And the three coaches sacked this year were all "potentially great assistant coaches wallowing away at unsuccessful clubs".

I think where we are seeing a large number of inexperienced coaches thrown to the wolves is because of the "professionalism" of AFL today and the increased emphasis on finding that 1% competitive advantage. The role is much more technically demanding so clubs are having to balance technical expertise with soft skills. It also appears that it is the struggling clubs are the ones losing there coaches which may be because snaller clubs dont have the same level of support for coaches.

Jason Akermanis was 100% right about the Bulldogs

And i always suspected their 'leaders' were selfish and cared only for their individual stats, mainly Brad Johnson and Luke Darcy

but Brad Johnson was the worst. he was their captain and nothing but a goal hungry squib

The 'leadership' culture of those players has been passed down to guys like Griffen, Cooney and co.

Edited by hogans_heroes
  • Like 1

it seems these days you cant say anything negative to the players. Also if Griffen didnt want to be captain then say you dont want the responsibility. I feel sorry for Brendan. Gosh want an off season with coaches getting sacked.

For once im relieved we are stable and know what is happening for the next 5 years.

I feel for BM.

And Hogan Hero's is right, Aker was right all along with Brad Johnson and Rob Murphy in the way they were as leaders.

It is quite obvious that its been passed on down to the likes of Griffin.

Poor form by the Western Bulldogs.

• Like 2

it seems these days you cant say anything negative to the players. Also if Griffen didnt want to be captain then say you dont want the responsibility. I feel sorry for Brendan. Gosh want an off season with coaches getting sacked.

For once im relieved we are stable and know what is happening for the next 5 years.

Players these days are a bunch of soffcocks and this is coming from a 24 year old too.

What happened to copping it on the chin and moving on??

Too much player power these days and AFL has a huge problem here.

• Like 3

Sign him up. His development of young players is genuinely close to the best in the game. Macrae, Stringer, Bontempelli, Dahlhaus, Hunter and Lin Jong who's coming on so well for those who watched the VFL grand final.

Bulldogs will regret this decision for a long time. They're not just losing Brendan, they will lose Mooney, Scarlett and Joel Corey who McCartney bought over with his Geelong attitude. This is their 186, and I don't know how they'll survive.

Well written,this mob WAS on the right track and just imploded.

We had/have little boys of similar vein,it took an A grader to start stamping it out.

Doggies just fell for the 3 card trick.

• Like 1

I wonder who the replacement will be? They should had let Girffin go and taken he draft pick/players. They could have done well out of it, as Griffen has only maybe 2 years of top line service left.

The question will be all ned year will Griffen go FA to GWS anyway?

plenty pig shooting out west of Sydney anyway.

I wonder if he's up there somewhere Now.

----------------------------

Sign him up. His development of young players is genuinely close to the best in the game. Macrae, Stringer, Bontempelli, Dahlhaus, Hunter and Lin Jong who's coming on so well for those who watched the VFL grand final.

Bulldogs will regret this decision for a long time. They're not just losing Brendan, they will lose Mooney, Scarlett and Joel Corey who McCartney bought over with his Geelong attitude. This is their 186, and I don't know how they'll survive.

Well written,this mob WAS on the right track and just imploded.

We had/have little boys of similar vein,it took an A grader to start stamping it out.

Doggies just fell for the 3 card trick.

thats exactly what I thought.

maybe the dogs are killing 2 birds with the one slingshot.

Is bomba still about atmo, strike whilst the Irons Hot.

Edited by dee-luded

thats exactly what I thought.

maybe the dogs are killing 2 birds with the one slingshot.

Is bomba still about atmo, strike whilst the Irons Hot.

dont know if bullies have enough knackers or dollars to do this,

And i always suspected their 'leaders' were selfish and cared only for their individual stats, mainly Brad Johnson and Luke Darcy

but Brad Johnson was the worst. he was their captain and nothing but a goal hungry squib

The 'leadership' culture of those players has been passed down to guys like Griffen, Cooney and co.

What did Akermanis say about the Bulldogs? I vaguely recall a furore about it but can't remember the contents.

Just like us for a few years.

Until Pete,Glenn and Paul started things rolling.

What did Akermanis say about the Bulldogs? I vaguely recall a furore about it but can't remember the contents.

Akermanis on Open Mike (30 May 2012)

this vid covers it very well, and some other gems worth revisiting.

Edited by wretched.sylph
  • Like 2

Feel for McCartney, almost all of the young kids at the Bulldogs were coming on very nicely. He definitely earned his stripes as a development coach, but perhaps lacked the strategic aspects of implementing the gameplan on match day. Serious culture problems at the Bulldogs, they're such a 'nothing' team. They don't stand for anything and almost have a worse culture than us (at least they win more games though).

Would love Macca as a development coach working alongside Stone, Miller, etc.

Edited by Lamashtu
  • Like 1

I'm waiting for the first club to appoint a 25 year old career coach who hasn't played at the highest level but can relate and communicate effectively with his or her players.

25 year career in coaching or a 25 year old?

Tough gig for someone at 25, I would have thought, especially given that the Coach role at an AFL Club seems to be more and more about managing and less about hands-on coaching.