Daniel Merrett

Fat Tony

AFL trade radio said melbourne could trade pick 2&3 to collingwood for Beams, and then trade Beams to Brisbane for pick 4 and Merrett. Im like LOL! I don't think they thought it through too much.

I like merrett as a defender (remember he has great speed and is a monster size wise as a defender), but his age 30, makes me want to go for frost with a late pick (3rd/4th round).

This was from a player manager. Must be a genius.

I have an old commodore to swap him for a new Ferrari. He should be ringing me soon.

• Like 6

AFL trade radio said melbourne could trade pick 2&3 to collingwood for Beams, and then trade Beams to Brisbane for pick 4 and Merrett. Im like LOL! I don't think they thought it through too much.

I like merrett as a defender (remember he has great speed and is a monster size wise as a defender), but his age 30, makes me want to go for frost with a late pick (3rd/4th round).

Why on earth would we trade pick 2 & 3 for pick 4 and Merrett? I have never heard anything so ridiculous in my life? Better to just grab Brayshaw with pick 2 and swap pick 3 and a later pick for O'Rourke and Jaksh/Frost

Agreed Red. Where's the photo of the queen giving thee bird? Love it.

Butcher has the most appropriate name of any player.

Yes, he can kick a goal but with his kicking action I wouldn't be putting money on him doing it all too often, and that's when he's not injured.

Roughead a close second.

Mitch would just need to change his surname to Chunt to beat all those.

Not needed.

Pick 43 to GWS for Sam Frost

Mitch Clark to Geelong for Travis Varcoe

Jimmy Toumpas to Adelaide for Jarryd Lyons & Pick 32

Pick 32 to Collingwood for H. Lumumba

Jack Fitzaptrick & Pick 62 to Carlton for Jarrad Waite compo Pick (41)

Pick 41 & 3 to Brisbane for Daniel Merrett & Pick 5.

Michael Evans & Pick 80 to St Kilda for Pick 79.

Leaves us Pick 2: Angus Brayshaw, 5: Peter Wright or Sam Durdin, 24 Billy Stretch (F/S), 79 (Jetta upgrade).

i like the way that you have gifted Evans to St Kilda just to get rid of him but not so sure that we should be so hasty to get rid of Toumpas or Fitzpatrick without letting Roos have another year developing them. Who is to say that we wouln't have more success with Toumpas than Adelaide would (especially if they are trading us Lyons AND a lowish pick in return)?

Edited by CBDees
  • Like 1

Leaving aside the obvious idiocy of this idea, with a little reformulation it might work.

How about the same trade instead of us using Pick 3?

So Melbourne give up Pick 2 to Collingwood for Beams, trade Beams to Brisbane for Pick 4 and Merret.

Assuming we think that Brayshaw will slip to Pick 4 anyway, essentially we get Merret for free.

Edited by Vanilla Gorilla
  • Like 1

Fitzy has some great attributes and he seems to be able to put them in display at afl level but not consistently at vfl level which is odd.

He is really quick for a big guy, reasonable mark (when his confidence is up, he's a very good aerial competitor), his kicking has gotten a lot better too, his check sides are great.

Id be keen to hold in to him.

Explain your reasoning for this horrible trade idea

Haha.

Well I doubt 41 on it's own would be enough. Swapping 3 with 5 though means we still keep a 2nd really early pick where we should be able to land Wright to help our ruck stocks. Brisbane have Pick 3 to deal with rather then 5, meaning Collingwood know they can land McCartin to help out their lack of decent tall forwards as part of the Beams deal.

Not needed.

Pick 43 to GWS for Sam Frost

Mitch Clark to Geelong for Travis Varcoe

Jimmy Toumpas to Adelaide for Jarryd Lyons & Pick 32

Pick 32 to Collingwood for H. Lumumba

Jack Fitzaptrick & Pick 62 to Carlton for Jarrad Waite compo Pick (41)

Pick 41 & 3 to Brisbane for Daniel Merrett & Pick 5.

Michael Evans & Pick 80 to St Kilda for Pick 79.

Leaves us Pick 2: Angus Brayshaw, 5: Peter Wright or Sam Durdin, 24 Billy Stretch (F/S), 79 (Jetta upgrade).

But who is the established quality mid that the coach has said we WILL be pursuing??

Watts for Merrett solves a couple or problems.

Other than Roos wanting to stack the backline and play an even more defensive style of football than we did last year, why on earth would we need another key defender? Especially one who is almost 30 years old.

You couldn't play Merrett in the same forward line as Dawes & Hogan, and I can't see how you could play him in the same defence as McDonald, Dunn, Frost & Garland. We already have Pedersen and Georgiou as depth defenders, surely we don't need another.

I wouldn't give up anything more than a 4th round pick and, even then, only if we weren't planning on using it anway.

How about going after some midfielders Roos?

• Like 1

But who is the established quality mid that the coach has said we WILL be pursuing??

Could have been Dangerfield, Slaone, Shiel, Treloar, Prestia & O'Rourke and told by all thanks but no thanks?

Other than Roos wanting to stack the backline and play an even more defensive style of football than we did last year, why on earth would we need another key defender? Especially one who is almost 30 years old.

You couldn't play Merrett in the same forward line as Dawes & Hogan, and I can't see how you could play him in the same defence as McDonald, Dunn, Frost & Garland. We already have Pedersen and Georgiou as depth defenders, surely we don't need another.

I wouldn't give up anything more than a 4th round pick and, even then, only if we weren't planning on using it anway.

pretty sure Roos has a fair idea what he is doing

Trade Radio suggested we should give collingwood Pick 2 & 3 for Beams then get Pick 4 and Merrett for Beams from the Lions.

No Fucken way!!

If we get Beams for Pick 1 & 2 we are keeping him.

Haha...worst trade ever.

Just to show how bad this trade is, We'd be better off trading pick 2 for merrett and ending up with Merrett and pick 3.

Or even better for us, trade pick 3 for Merrett and end up with the sum of Merrett and Pick 2.

I can't believe that these people get paid for this when at the end of the day Merrett would only be worth a pick in the late 40's.

• Like 1

You mean Cross, Vince, Tyson, Michie, Riley, Salem, and JKH?

Wait, he already done that...

When criticising hypothetical scenarios that haven't even had the chance to eventuate - it's best to be even remotely correct with the criticism...

• Like 1

So we trade out picks 2 and 3 for 4 and Merrett.

Sounds fair.

Noooooo way near fair. We'd essentially be paying pick two for a player about to hit thirty and getting pick four for three. Merrett ain't that good. Edited by Demon Jack

Not for me.

A forward line with Dawes and Merrett could be a bit slow and cumbersome. Merrett is a bash and crash forward and I don't think we need that - we need more class inside 50 not more bang-and-crash.

As for defence, we already have some experienced key backs in Garland and Dunn. McDonald is coming along well. Pedersen can also chip in as back up. I definitely see a need to recruit another young KP defender but not a 30-year-old who will only play for a couple years.

• Like 7

First we trade Fitzpatrick & our 4th round pick to Carlton for their Waite compensation. (Likely band 4, end of 2nd round. Approx 41) Even throw Blease in also to get it done if need be.

Trade Pick 41 & 3 to Brisbane for Merrett & Pick 5.

Pick 3 may give Brisbane a little more currency for the Beams trade, as the filth will know they'll land McCartin to help their forward line issues. Brisbane will then just need to come up with a role player for icing on the cake for the filth.

Pfft... After the sook that Swan just had about the compensation we might receive for Frawley, they would be lucky to get our fourth rounder... Stuff them!!

I've always believed that Merrett is an underrated player here in Victoria. Strong, fierce and a player cab able of holding pack marks.

If he's coming in as a key defender, I'd see him holding down the spot that (hopefully) Frost can step into and make his own.

If he's coming in as a swingman or forward, I'd see him in competition with Pederson. This would require him to play the relieveing ruckman/third tall but not sure if he has the tank for it..? For a big guy he's always been quick over a short burst - anyone know if he's played second ruck much up at Brissy?

I've always believed that Merrett is an underrated player here in Victoria. Strong, fierce and a player cab able of holding pack marks.

If he's coming in as a key defender, I'd see him holding down the spot that (hopefully) Frost can step into and make his own.

If he's coming in as a swingman or forward, I'd see him in competition with Pederson. This would require him to play the relieveing ruckman/third tall but not sure if he has the tank for it..? For a big guy he's always been quick over a short burst - anyone know if he's played second ruck much up at Brissy?

He has.

Haha.

Well I doubt 41 on it's own would be enough. Swapping 3 with 5 though means we still keep a 2nd really early pick where we should be able to land Wright to help our ruck stocks. Brisbane have Pick 3 to deal with rather then 5, meaning Collingwood know they can land McCartin to help out their lack of decent tall forwards as part of the Beams deal.

It will be Brisbane want Merrett out he will not be playing at the Lions next year under any circumstances