• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Christian Salem

dazzledavey36

His first pass to Bail which resulted in a goal was sublime. More of that stuff and we may have ourselves another player with Travis Johnstone type skills.

• Like 1

He'll be fine ad will the toump. So many examples of players reaching their potential at different times you could pick from dozens currently running around. How about Kennedy at the swans. Absolute a grade gun in his mid twenties but could not get a regular game with an admittedly strong hawks mid field. Langford. Looking terrific now but has played 50 odd game at box hill. On the flip side a player like caddy has stalled a bit but will come good and vlaustin is another in a similar boat. But as has been noted it is ridiculous to cast doubt on him given his obvious talent and his very limited per season

• Christian Salem has had the misfortune of being drafted into one of the worst teams of the last 2 decades
  • He was seriously ill (losing almost 10 kgs) which severely impacted his preseason, his first AFL preseason mind you
  • He has been the sub in many of his games
  • When on the field he has usually played on a HHF or in a FP, in a team with very few inside 50 entries and a high turnover rate
  • He is already in the top 5 or so best kicks in the team
  • He is a competitor
  • He can win his own ball
  • He hates losing

Of all the players on our list, Christian gives me the greatest confidence of getting the best out of himself and improving the position of this club.

Our lack of success and diabolical drafting puts unfair expectations on young kids just starting to find their way. The kid has played 12 games, many of which as the sub. Lets focus our energy on some of the supposed leaders whose continual lack of output put more pressure on young players like Christian.

I had to watch the GWS game on TV, I saw Mumford run through Salem and knock him to the ground and out of the screen. I was surprised to see that straight after, Christian sprinting back into screen to the next contest and lay a strong tackle.

We have a player. A very good young player.

• Like 23

Geez mate how do you get through this site without the ignore button, I had this one on ignore after al the ludicrous trade hypotheticals he was throwing up were driving me nuts.

I like to see myself as a modern day Voltaire encouraging people to have their say even if I disagree with them. But I think even Voltaire would have despaired at some of the dross posted here. So, I'm no Voltaire and have decided enough is enough with the nuff-nuffs and he's now being ignored.

• Like 2

Let's find the few things we have to look forward to and complain about them.

also,

Why hasn't Salem contended for the Chas? I say performanced based contract, no chas in three years -> he's out.

Same with Hogan...no Coleman in 2015, we trade him to Freo for whatever we can salvage.

• Christian Salem has had the misfortune of being drafted into one of the worst teams of the last 2 decades
  • He was seriously ill (losing almost 10 kgs) which severely impacted his preseason, his first AFL preseason mind you
  • When on the field he has usually played on a HHF or in a FP, in a team with very few inside 50 entries and a high turnover rate
  • He is a competitor
  • He hates losing

Of all the players on our list, Christian gives me the greatest confidence of getting the best out of himself and improving the position of this club.

Our lack of success and diabolical drafting puts unfair expectations on young kids just starting to find their way. The kid has played 12 games, many of which as the sub. Lets focus our energy on some of the supposed leaders whose continual lack of output put more pressure on young players like Christian.

I had to watch the GWS game on TV, I saw Mumford run through Salem and knock him to the ground and out of the screen. I was surprised to see that straight after, Christian sprinting back into screen to the next contest and lay a strong tackle.

I can tell you from first hand experience just how brutal having Mumford run through you is and I was a team mate.

• He is a competitor
  • He hates losing

• He is a competitor
  • He hates losing

Also, Phil Davis crashed him from behind, and had to be taken off! Salem looked a bit dazed, but got up and carried on!

• Like 2

Salem will be a beast around the ball in years to come. Anyone who says they mould themselves and their game around Luke Hodge will be worth the wait.

• Like 2

• He is a competitor
  • He hates losing

Yep, Really surprised how so many people can't see talent.

Salem's got good skills, does the little things well, clean, WINS contests and from an outside perspective, work ethic looks solid.

Even opposition fans recognize Salem as a talented prospect.

• Like 4

Cant beleive after our history of bad development people still want to give the kid the benefit of the doubt.

He needs more touches, way more to impact a game.

Congratulations on your nomination for "Worst Post of the Year". Stiff competition as you'll be up against about half of hogans_heroes posts, but best of luck - this one is a doozie and you're a chance.

• Like 9

His first pass to Bail which resulted in a goal was sublime. More of that stuff and we may have ourselves another player with Travis Johnstone type skills.

Even Tony Shaw creamed his dacks over that pass.

He's shown glimpses of his absolute class. Once he builds up his tank we will have a player.

• Like 1

Congratulations on your nomination for "Worst Post of the Year". Stiff competition as you'll be up against about half of hogans_heroes posts, but best of luck - this one is a doozie and you're a chance.

Great input into the thread buddy. As soon as somebody posts anything other then talk about how good he is you go the personal attack. Grow up mate.

Edited by olisik

Great input into the thread buddy. As soon as somebody posts anything other then talk about how good he is you go the personal attack. Grow up mate.

It's not that - first season in - 12 games down I think conventional wisdom should probably lead you to one of two opinions

1/ The boys is going to be a jet - got all the skills and once he develops an engine and we get him into the midfield - he will be great.

or

2/ He is 12 games in - way too early to judge. Ill keep my powder dry until he is a couple seasons in as I have been badly burned too many times before by "False dawns" ( that's you and me OD)

You choose option 3 - having a shot at a first year 12 gamer. poor form.

• Like 2

No amount of touches will stop you from finding stats that seemingly prove how good other draftees are in comparison to our own kids.

Which part of my statement is untrue? He needs more touches to make an impact.

Which he does, he wont make an impact on 1 - 2 touches a quarter.

Gary Ablett Jr. wouldn't get more than 1-2 touches a quarter with the way we take the ball forward.

Plus your reasoning stinks - he has spent half of his games as the sub which impacts his disposal count in a rather large manner.

Edited by Wiseblood

Olisik, you're taking a very narrow view of what 'impact' in fact means in AFL.

What I mean to say is, one can have an impact or influence the game/a passage of play without even touching the ball, which Salem

has done during games this year and I'd argue is one of the reasons he has been getting games rather than getting high possession numbers..

Salem is about the only first year player since N Jones who actually seems to block with intent, tackle hard, chase hard and smother with intent whilst also being able to hurt the opposition with the ball.

Do you remember the essendon game where he had two or three smothers in the last quarter, one of which resulted directly in a Jack Watts goal?

Are you telling me that is not 'impacting' a game?

For someone who has so much skill and silk, to have these 'off the ball' or 'defensive' attributes already visible is nothing but a blessing.

The least of my concern is the number of possessions he has accumulated off the back of a limited pre-season, playing in a forwardline who rarely get decent delivery and in one of the hardest positions on the ground to accumulate possessions as so many have already pointed out.

You've got to wake up a bit.

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 6

and hes the admin here.......

The fact that he's an admin doesn't mean he's unable to point out pathetic posting when he sees it.

The argument that Salem needs to be doing more (olisik's words) is baseless, pointless, damaging and wrong.

The fact that he's an admin doesn't mean he's unable to point out pathetic posting when he sees it.

The argument that Salem needs to be doing more (olisik's words) is baseless, pointless, damaging and wrong.

Damaging? How is it damaging? Its an opinion. Get over it.

Unless this thread goes

Person 1: his good

Person 2: yes he is

Person 3: I think his good

Person 4: I also think his good

people feel they need to be high and mighty and make personal attack on someone who thinks otherwise.

Edited by olisik