• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Match preview and team selection

Demonland

THE DOVE by Whispering Jack

The dove is a bird associated with peace and harmony. The hawk is its exact opposite - aggressive and warlike.

Ironically, in the week when Melbourne takes on the AFL Hawks it is the club that you associate with the aggressive bird that sits in peaceful harmony at the top of the AFL table while the Demons are seemingly in disarray and ducking for cover in the wake of their coach's stinging attack on his players and the culture of the club. Paul Roos blamed the clubs culture of losing on its past tanking controversies claiming that some Demons players remaining from 2009 appear to be scarred from those experiences and must overcome them before the club can take further strides forward.

I think he's wrong and that he didn't think out those comments very well at all. They invited the attention of the usual media vultures and were unnecessary negative given the shortcomings of the list he possesses. In my view, he should get on with the job of coaching and looking to the future rather than look for excuses.

Whatever the reason for the malaise that led to the situation at ¾ time when Melbourne held a slender lead but almost double the number of shots at goal (and the possible explanations seem numerous and open to conjecture), the game was there to be won in the final quarter.

That's when the coach can exert his influence and given we were seeing two young inexperienced teams that haven't performed well in 2014, the result reflected just as poorly on our coaching as it did on the players.

Look at the replay and you can see the defensive mindset in mid quarter compared to the way Brisbane took on the game and you won't be surprised at all about who won and who lost.

I thought at the time that Roos still had his eye on the future with the way they played out the game and was prepared to give him an escape card but I was disappointed with his references to the past in the post-match which of course, led to the predictable feeding frenzy from Caroline Wilson and co who simply won't let go of past personal agendas.

Roos knew exactly what he was getting himself into when he took on the job and he should be last person to make excuses. We've seen some signs of improvement this year but given the fact that he has a better list that was expected, we should be seeing more. For all that, with a game against the top team in the competition, it's time to see a more aggressive approach to our opposition than to our ghosts of the past, perceived or otherwise.

THE GAME

Hawthorn v Melbourne at the MCG Saturday 9 August 2014 at 4.40 pm.

HEAD TO HEAD

Overall Hawthorn 82 wins Melbourne 74 wins

At MCG Hawthorn 41 wins Melbourne 35 wins

Last 5 years Hawthorn 5 wins Melbourne 0 wins

The Coaches Clarkson 0 wins Roos 0 wins

MEDIA

TV Fox Footy Channel at 4.30pm (live)

RADIO Triple M 3AW SEN ABC ABC Grandstand

THE BETTING

Hawthorn $1.04 to win Melbourne $11.00 to win

THE LAST TIME THEY MET

Hawthorn 15.25.115 defeated Melbourne 6.13.49 in Round 10, 2013 at the MCG

The Hawks kicked 12 goals to 1 in the first half. Thanks to some atrocious kicking from the Hawks the Dees managed to miraculously outscore them in the second half.

THE TEAMS

HAWTHORN

B: Taylor Duryea, Josh Gibson, Matt Spangher

HB: Luke Hodge, Ben Stratton, Grant Birchall

C: Isaac Smith, Sam Mitchell, Matthew Suckling

HF: Bradley Hill, Ryan Schoenmakers, Luke Breust

F: Paul Puopolo, Jarryd Roughead, Jordan Lewis

FOLL: Ben McEvoy, Shaun Burgoyne, Liam Shiels

I/C: David Hale, Jonathan Simpkin, Billy Hartung, Will Langford

EMG: Jonathon Ceglar, Angus Litherland, Alex Woodward

IN: Billy Hartung, Sam Mitchell, Isaac Smith

OUT: Jack Gunston (knee), Angus Litherland, Alex Woodward

MELBOURNE

B: Colin Garland, Lynden Dunn, Jeremy Howe

HB: Neville Jetta, Tom McDonald, Matt Jones

C: Rohan Bail, Bernie Vince, Daniel Cross

HF: Jay Kennedy-Harris, James Frawley, Jack Watts

F: Mark Jamar, Chris Dawes, Dean Kent

FOLL: Max Gawn, Nathan Jones, Dom Tyson

I/C: Dom Barry, Viv Michie, Aidan Riley, Jack Viney

EMG: Jack Fitzpatrick, Jordie McKenzie, Daniel Nicholson

IN: Dom Barry, Daniel Cross, Max Gawn, Matt Jones, Viv Michie

OUT: Blease, McKenzie, Pedersen (head), Tapscott (knee), Terlich

The changes to the team this week reflect the fact that Paul Roos means business. He has warned that many of his players are virtually on trial and the three omissions from last week's fiasco are certainly on shaky ground. Luke Tapscott who is out by virtue of a knee injury is also in trouble because it took him the better part of the season to gain promotion from Casey and yet, he failed at the highest level yet again. The same can be said of most of the players selected in the VFL this week. With perhaps, the exception of Christian Salem and a couple of rookies, the rest have their cards virtually marked.

The inclusions into the team look like plusses. Max Gawn has been in ripping form while Daniel Cross has been the team's measuring stick this year and it's no coincidence that things went awry the moment he dropped out of the team with that foot fracture. Matt Jones and Viv Michie are solid but unspectacular citizens with form at Casey while Dom Barry is young and fast but looms as the likely sub. All in all, there is likely to be an improvement in the line up but the bad news is that this week's opponent is Hawthorn, not Brisbane and that foretells of a tough evening at the office.

Hawthorn comfortably.

There are some real doomsday predictions coming through over the last couple of days. I don't think its going to be catastrophic, it'll be a beating but I'm predicting I wont be feeling as bad about it as I was after the Brisbane game.

For the record, I don't think Roos was making excuses for the boys form on Saturday despite the pasting he got for allegedly doing so. I think he was simply searching for an explanation for the mediocrity and that is what he offered. I don't for a second think that he is trying to justify it, I'm certain that once he got behind closed doors he was telling them to harden the f... up or ship out.

• Like 1

Sadly Hawks by 12 - 15 goals.

The Only chance of a moderate loss is if the Hawks rest a few.

Cannot see it happening but I have my fingers crossed.

Frankly the only chance we have is if the whole Hawthorn team come down with the (non fatal 24 hour) Ebola virus.

Sadly Hawks by 12 - 15 goals.

The Only chance of a moderate loss is if the Hawks rest a few.

Cannot see it happening but I have my fingers crossed.

Sadly? What is sadly? Hawks will smack us if we don't STAND up! If these blokes don't have any fire in the belly to get better, then this club is fvcked.

• Like 4

^^

Sadly, I think you are 100% right. We need a TEAM of guys who desperately want to win and to represent the club and it's supporters.

Sadly, we don't appear to have this at all.

And unless we do quick smart even rusted on geriatric supporters like myself, who are old enough to remember finals (and that was top 4 not top 8) every year for a decade, will totally lose interest.

^^

Sadly, I think you are 100% right. We need a TEAM of guys who desperately want to win and to represent the club and it's supporters.

Sadly, we don't appear to have this at all.

And unless we do quick smart even rusted on geriatric supporters like myself, who are old enough to remember finals (and that was top 4 not top 8) every year for a decade, will totally lose interest.

McKenzie, Tapscott, Pederson, Blease and Terlich to make way.

Pedersen excepted, by Roos' standards that's some heavy culling, especially to bring in kids like Barry in a game against a team like Hawthorn.

Interesting also that Roos' flagged it before the official team announcement - making sure the message gets across?

Pedersen excepted, by Roos' standards that's some heavy culling, especially to bring in kids like Barry in a game against a team like Hawthorn.

Interesting also that Roos' flagged it before the official team announcement - making sure the message gets across?

I think Tapscott may have a knee issue from last weeks game, and Pederson had his face smashed in.

Gawns form may have pushed Pedo out anyway, so Pedo is certainly the unlucky one either way.

I'd drop Jamar for

Max.

Gawn gives much better effort at ground level and in the air.

I'd like to see Watts as a forward target and Frawley put on Suckling .

I think Blease needs another shot to see if his very good games can be repeated.

I think Roos is very harsh on clangers-which means the skilled players will rightly get a go and the battlers could be on the move.

Hawthorn by 18. Points. No, I will not pass the crackpipe.

is that per qtr ?

• Like 1

Id just be happy to include blokes who understand .. a little fav concept of mine.. I I I I :rolleyes:

Lie down Demons: 15 goal loss.

Give a damn Demona: 6-10 goal loss

pretty much

wonder which mob will turn up ?

I was listening to SEN last night and they were talking about how PR still on occasions distances himself from the boys through the media when he uses words such as 'them', which suggests that he hasn't entirely left the idea that he is Paul Roos the premiership Sydney coach who is now Coaching melbournre for a while, and I do sometimes get the feel that he feels like a care taker coach, much the same as how Thompson often appears. He's certainly not as relaxed as thompson but theres snippets there.

He needs to think about this come media time, and have it in his consciousness until it becomes second nature.

I realise he has signed on, but this idea of his limited tenure isn't healthy I don't think. There are contracts but this is a bit different, I don't know of any other coaches that have said, 'look, ill take the role, but only for the next couple of years, then I'm out of coaching'. Wouldn't it be much more settling for the players if PR was committed to the idea of staying on indefinitely? I do believe when chip said "if rosy signs on, ill sign', I think chip meant for roos to sign on for several more years.

Regarding the comments from Roos, Im not sure if he coming up with excuses, and i don't think he is suggesting that he's not up to it or that he shying away from the challenge. I think he is merely answering media questions. Under pressure our players panic and lose composure, whats the reasons behind this? Well in the past they had some heavy scrutinisation, labelled for tanking and experienced the clubs biggest loss in history, and for some players still at the club, the could potentially be a reason behind losing their nerve when confronted with pressure. I don't think its an inappropriate statement if he is answering questions, It is the right time of the year to be applying heat to the players that need to step up or get out. The players that are safe know about the past and i doubt those comments will affect them, as they're already doing what they can to push this team further ala jones.

Further on that, 2/3 of the team have left since that game. so Roos is talking about a small handful of players and the lingering culture.

Not suggesting that all of that is 100% accurate, just a view point.

and no sources.

anyway, with cross in, i think its possible to keep it to a reasonable loss.
Jetts can shut down hill, cross cash get a grip on a key mid, jones go head to head with a mitchell or whoever really?

frawley goes back on roughy.

on paper, we should be able to be competitive.

• Like 3