Jesse Hogan ~ new 2 year deal

Lucifers Hero

Well, in theory that should be Fitzpatrick, but he seems to have stalled for the moment. Big second half of the year?

I'd prefer Watts or Frawley ... Fitzy needs to add some more parts to his game to squeeze out either of those 2.

I also believe that if Frawley stays and Hogan is fit and firing, James may well remain in the forward line (or at least be used periodically in the forward line) I reckon he adds a lot and he's hard to match up on (especially when he can use his pace) Watts can develop into quite a versatile player who could play anywhere.

I'm a fan of having 3 dangerous big forwards who can all take a good grab, can play a role as a lead up forward, be a power forward and/or have a yard of pace. A big forward playing a defensive role is an asset as well but knowing where the goals are should be a given. With all the flooding that is in the game, a tall forward must have a lot more than one string to his bow. A talented 3rd tall in the forward line is needed if a team wants to contend.

IMO a list needs to contain at least 5 players who can slip into one of the 3 roles so right now, Fitzy is depth. Sometimes a back-up ruckman can play a role in the forward line and that's where Gawn comes into proceedings.

Great news, now Chip can sign and we will have a finals side for next year.

we have lost some solid players in the last few years, but i think losing Frawley will be the biggest...losing him is going hurt.. He's hardly ever injured, he gives his all in every game he plays, he's considered one of the comps best full backs and playing for us the last few years, he's had more practise than any other full back in the comp... Its why he has attracked the interest from other clubs and why he has already agreed on a move... The price and destination is too large to turn down... I'm really hoping that im wrong here, but its seems the most likely outcome...

I'll be happy to take any compensation pick that comes our way(the pick after our first rounder?)... But if this was a trade, I would be asking for more...

Also, i think he has been good enough to let the club know... Its why we have been playing him forward and why we can confidently offer a solid contract to Hulk Hogan... If he was really waiting to see if we have improved, he would have signed on by now...

Jeez i hope this article is correct and not just another journo jumping the gun, extending Hogans contract will lessen the pain of losing Chip...

I'd prefer Watts or Frawley ... Fitzy needs to add some more parts to his game to squeeze out either of those 2.

I also believe that if Frawley stays and Hogan is fit and firing, James may well remain in the forward line (or at least be used periodically in the forward line) I reckon he adds a lot and he's hard to match up on (especially when he can use his pace) Watts can develop into quite a versatile player who could play anywhere.

I'm a fan of having 3 dangerous big forwards who can all take a good grab, can play a role as a lead up forward, be a power forward and/or have a yard of pace. A big forward playing a defensive role is an asset as well but knowing where the goals are should be a given. With all the flooding that is in the game, a tall forward must have a lot more than one string to his bow. A talented 3rd tall in the forward line is needed if a team wants to contend.

IMO a list needs to contain at least 5 players who can slip into one of the 3 roles so right now, Fitzy is depth. Sometimes a back-up ruckman can play a role in the forward line and that's where Gawn comes into proceedings.

FF: Pedersen Hogan ********

HF: Watts Dawes Kent/Salem/JKH

Fitzy and Gawn fight to push Pedersen out of the team. At the same time Pedersen is depth for the 2 key forwards. Frawley starts down back and is always an option to replace a key forward. And once again Pedersen is an option to back up Frawley/McDonald/Dunn down back. Similarly Georgiou is a back up tall even if he's undersized he's shown the ability on the right match up. I think it's important to set guys for positions but still have versatility. As long as you don't stuff players around they can excel in different roles.

Watts, Kent, Salem, JKH are versatile midfielder/forwards who can be used how Sydney so expertly rotate mids through the forward line and midfield depending on match up, form etc.

Sydney don't even have this type of player but if there was one player I'd want to fill the blank spot it would be a 40 goal small forward who wins one on ones in the air and on the ground. The Wingard, Breust, Walters etc.

FF: Pedersen Hogan ********

HF: Watts Dawes Kent/Salem/JKH

Fitzy and Gawn fight to push Pedersen out of the team. At the same time Pedersen is depth for the 2 key forwards. Frawley starts down back and is always an option to replace a key forward. And once again Pedersen is an option to back up Frawley/McDonald/Dunn down back. Similarly Georgiou is a back up tall even if he's undersized he's shown the ability on the right match up. I think it's important to set guys for positions but still have versatility. As long as you don't stuff players around they can excel in different roles.

Watts, Kent, Salem, JKH are versatile midfielder/forwards who can be used how Sydney so expertly rotate mids through the forward line and midfield depending on match up, form etc.

Sydney don't even have this type of player but if there was one player I'd want to fill the blank spot it would be a 40 goal small forward who wins one on ones in the air and on the ground. The Wingard, Breust, Walters etc.

Have you factored in that Roos might keep Frawley in the forward line? It could happen.

I remember many supporters wanting Neitz to go back (I was one of them) during his first couple of years in the forward line. Neita was such a good CHB that many of us just couldn't understand why Daniher was wasting him in the forward line. History tells us that Neale was on the money ... but for a while there ...

Here's my "6"

FF: JKH ... Hogan ... Frawley

HF: Watts ... Dawes ... Trengove

Both Watts and Trengove to play as high half forward's/midfielders with Frawley and JKH to run up into the space provided by their absence.

Dawes to be used as a lead up forward (rotating with Hogan and Frawley) Dawes, Hogan and Frawley could be used as power forwards or as leading forwards out of the goal square.

Forgot to add that in the future I see Salem, Kent and Toumpas in the midfield rotations with the occasional spell in the forward line (rotating with Watts, Trengove and JKH) ... probably somewhere around the wing area but not strictly as wingmen (I'm not sure the position of wingman even exists anymore) All 6 of the aforementioned are handy around the goals.

Suddenly, we don't have such a bad list. Hogan will help us win a lot of games. It was an inspired move to use that pick to snare him. Things are looking up and it seems that we're getting an important re-signing on an almost weekly/fortnightly basis.

Have you factored in that Roos might keep Frawley in the forward line? It could happen.

I remember many supporters wanting Neitz to go back (I was one of them) during his first couple of years in the forward line. Neita was such a good CHB that many of us just couldn't understand why Daniher was wasting him in the forward line. History tells us that Neale was on the money ... but for a while there ...

Here's my "6"

Both Watts and Trengove to play as high half forward's/midfielders with Frawley and JKH to run up into the space provided by their absence.

Dawes to be used as a lead up forward (rotating with Hogan and Frawley) Dawes, Hogan and Frawley could be used as power forwards or as leading forwards out of the goal square.

I'd be looking to play Trengove on a wing or in the middle. Looking at that forwardline, there's no place for him with JKH in there. I'd also have Salem on the HFF. He's got such a brilliant goal sense, I'd be playing him there. Eventually, we'll rotate him through the middle too.

Here's my "6"

The reality is though any second ruck will have to play 60 or 70% forward. Or if we use 2 rucks equally they between them they play 75% or more forward. As it's the majority you have to take one of those forwards out and replace them with a ruck. Which means you have a ruck and then 3 big marking forwards plus Watts who I'm hoping develops his marking. Pretty much 4 if not 5 of the forwards are then marking players and possibly flying for the same ball. Whilst they (besides the ruck) would all be good at ground level for big guys that's not the same as just being good at ground level full stop and it takes away from the midfield rotations. Frawley would likely end up just playing as a medium forward with the added ability of being able to take a mark every now and then. He's much more value as a key defender.

Frawley might have made a forward back in the 90's as he's got great pace and is a good lead. But I think footy is becoming much more one on one marking for the best forwards with the leading play being up the ground leads. Obviously pace is still very beneficial but I'd rather a big slow Tom Hawkins over the fast Jessie White anyday!

Frawley is interesting. Put Hogan in and we can get by without him at either end. Which is a nice thought considering the real threat of him leaving. But I think there's more benefit with him back at full back and allowing Dunn to be freed up as one of our better attacking kicks from the backline than having an extra forward. Also once he readjusts to the backline I'd be keen to see if the time forward benefits Frawley. He could do with marking the ball more when he played back and the time forward may have helped that.

I'd be looking to play Trengove on a wing or in the middle. Looking at that forwardline, there's no place for him with JKH in there. I'd also have Salem on the HFF. He's got such a brilliant goal sense, I'd be playing him there. Eventually, we'll rotate him through the middle too.

The way footy is played now and especially where it's heading, a lot of players will need to be able to play in all parts of the ground. The positional line-ups "as they're picked" is often quite irrelevant. It's often about match-ups now.

The reality is though any second ruck will have to play 60 or 70% forward. Or if we use 2 rucks equally they between them they play 75% or more forward. As it's the majority you have to take one of those forwards out and replace them with a ruck. Which means you have a ruck and then 3 big marking forwards plus Watts who I'm hoping develops his marking. Pretty much 4 if not 5 of the forwards are then marking players and possibly flying for the same ball. Whilst they (besides the ruck) would all be good at ground level for big guys that's not the same as just being good at ground level full stop and it takes away from the midfield rotations. Frawley would likely end up just playing as a medium forward with the added ability of being able to take a mark every now and then. He's much more value as a key defender.

Frawley might have made a forward back in the 90's as he's got great pace and is a good lead. But I think footy is becoming much more one on one marking for the best forwards with the leading play being up the ground leads. Obviously pace is still very beneficial but I'd rather a big slow Tom Hawkins over the fast Jessie White anyday!

Frawley is interesting. Put Hogan in and we can get by without him at either end. Which is a nice thought considering the real threat of him leaving. But I think there's more benefit with him back at full back and allowing Dunn to be freed up as one of our better attacking kicks from the backline than having an extra forward. Also once he readjusts to the backline I'd be keen to see if the time forward benefits Frawley. He could do with marking the ball more when he played back and the time forward may have helped that.

Not necessarily in our case ...

... Pedersen has been more than handy for us playing the role of the 2nd ruck ... rather than being played as a permanent forward with the occasional run in the ruck, he's been used as a utility who bobs up everywhere. Whilst Cam is in the form he's in and whilst Jamar is doing as well as he is in the ruck, we don't have a need for a Gawn or a Spencer. We may not need to change things up for quite some time.

That's what I was basing my future forward line on - with Pederson to be used exactly as he is being used now.

Have people seen the champion data stats on how well our backline/defensive game has improved? It's quite remarkable and all this with Frawley playing in the forward line.

Hogan could probably do a bit of work in the ruck when he comes into the side (probably more so in the forward line) He's a big lad.

• Like 1

The way footy is played now and especially where it's heading, a lot of players will need to be able to play in all parts of the ground. The positional line-ups "as they're picked" is often quite irrelevant. It's often about match-ups now.

Agreed.

TBO i dont think we can do without him... We would be relying too much on Dunn to remain in AA form and for our back six to stay injury free... Frawley is a huge asset and he will be missed when he leaves... Edited by tatu

Frawley is only a fill gap forward. My guess would be Frawley will go back to strengthen the back line, Hogan will come in to strengthen the forward line & Pedo will play the Mitch Clark role. There's still room on the flanks & pockets for Kent, JKH, Salem, Toumpas, Blease or whoever wants those spots. Great news and show of respect for the club from Jesse.

• Like 1

This is great news.

Roos' impact has been enormous.....both in practice and culture.

Now for Tommy Mac and Chip.

Well put, Hogan on the verge of signing is huge but It also signals that the club has finally turned the corner and is no longer the leper of the competition.
  • Like 5

I largely agree but I'd play trenners exclusively as a mid. That's his position and if he comes back over his foot problem will be like having a gun recruit
  • Like 1

What are you thinking, J?

This is a good thing, looking forward to watching Jesse Hogan finally get on the G.

I think in light of Dunn signing, Frawley not yet signing and the players I have unofficially heard we are targetting it just seems to me we that we are posturing for some interesting list changes.

Nothing that interesting AF, just thinking aloud.

• Like 1