GOODBYE MR. CHIP FRAWLEY

Frawley  

433 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If "Grand New Flag" is right we will negate any Frawley compensation by luring players from other clubs.

It won't if we trade for them (as opposed to securing a FA). It beggars belief really that the club allowed our compo for Rivers t be reduced because we brought Byrnes in as a FA

EDIT: didn't see the post above

Edited by binman

Playing devils advocate, I think the comments are, on the whole, defensible.

The comment about Roos signing on for "a few more years" is all about the actual words he used. Roos hasn't signed on for a few more years. He's taken up the additional year, which was more or less expected. Frawley's comment I interpreted as Roos signing on to something longer term, which no coach would do, so it was a safe comment to make. And also one that was largely made in jest.

The comment about loyalty being a big thing for a country boy doesn't obligate him. It merely points to his conflicting feelings about making the move. Like any player, he wants to play finals. He is fully entitled to that want after 8 years of service. Countering that is his want to be loyal to the club and his teammates. I interpreted the comment as giving insight to his thought process.

If he does go, I don't think his comments will reflect as badly on him as the media and many others are suggesting.

I haven't picked up anywhere that the media is "judging" him one or another on his comments- that is reserved for the domain of some at Demonland. Only are here is it being suggested that he is reflecting poorly on the club both on and off the field.

I have seen many in the media pick up the obvious flaws in his game ( his kicking and decision making at times) but only on here are people suggesting his efforts are "sylvia-esque".

I am ambivalent about him staying - happy for him to stay and happy if we turn him into a draft pick that is well used ( a big if). What I won't do is turn him into a giant spud who is completely surplus to our needs and a poor reflection on our club just because he won't decide in line with supporters timelines.

• Like 4

That should give you some pause though shouldn't it?

McKenzie was offered a big contract by Adelaide but stayed in the rookie list an extra year to help out the Dees.

What a great bloke.

Some on here wouldn't bat an eyelid if he was delisted this year...

Teams want their own good players to sign a year before their contracts are up, and they keep their fringe players until they are not of use, or re-sign them at the last hour if they can't find anything better.

The more good players waiting until the end of the season to sign anywhere is progress for a league that desires to be equalised. More movement of players, more market-reality contracts, more spread of talent.

Not me. I'm big into the loyalty piece. I also think clubs are obliged to be open and direct in their communication with players at all times, ie, to let players know where they stand. Fairness demands this.

At the time the MFC decided not to extend James McDonald's contract, along with the utterly incompetent way in which the club handled it, I went absolutely crazy. I thought it was an appalling decision by the club and, relevantly, that it demonstrated a complete lack of understanding by the organisation as to how to develop genuine culture and leadership within the club/player group.

Many here told me to get over it at the time: "Junior was past his best, was taking ages to recover from soft tissue injuries, we needed to give our 'talented' younger brigade more opportunities" etc.

Over time though, when it became abundantly clear that the club was bereft of quality senior leaders, people started to change their tune to the Junior issue somewhat - ever so slightly. Now it seems to be virtually axiomatic that the club adopted completely the wrong approach to Junior.

I wonder how many of those now arguing that Frawley can do whatever he wants (which, clearly, he can) were those who, at the time, failed to see the importance/intagibles of keeping a senior leader like Junior on the list for another couple of years.

If someone could actually be bothered, it'd be interested to conduct an audit of certain posters' opinions on that issue now ...

Not me. I'm big into the loyalty piece. I also think clubs are obliged to be open and direct in their communication with players at all times, ie, to let players know where they stand. Fairness demands this.

At the time the MFC decided not to extend James McDonald's contract, along with the utterly incompetent way in which the club handled it, I went absolutely crazy. I thought it was an appalling decision by the club and, relevantly, that it demonstrated a complete lack of understanding by the organisation as to how to develop genuine culture and leadership within the club/player group.

Many here told me to get over it at the time: "Junior was past his best, was taking ages to recover from soft tissue injuries, we needed to give our 'talented' younger brigade more opportunities" etc.

Over time though, when it became abundantly clear that the club was bereft of quality senior leaders, people started to change their tune to the Junior issue somewhat - ever so slightly. Now it seems to be virtually axiomatic that the club adopted completely the wrong approach to Junior.

I wonder how many of those now arguing that Frawley can do whatever he wants (which, clearly, he can) were those who, at the time, failed to see the importance/intagibles of keeping a senior leader like Junior on the list for another couple of years.

If someone could actually be bothered, it'd be interested to conduct an audit of certain posters' opinions on that issue now ...

I had no problem with him not continuing - it was handled poorly though - even Bailey himself admitted that.

Happy to say that with the benefit of hindsight we certainly could have used his leadership for a year or two more.

• Like 2

Unconfirmed reports from my son (waiting for uni to start) on his Twitter a/c, close to a source who has reported that Chip has signed for 5 years @ 700k a season.

Source close to players and Casey.

Unsubstantiated.

Take from it what you will.

I saw the same on an MFC facebook page. A follow up poster suggested his info was the above deal had been put to Frawley calling his bluff on the back of the Roos signing but there was no timeframe on when Frawley might consider it. Grain of salt stuff at this stage I think

Unconfirmed reports from my son (waiting for uni to start) on his Twitter a/c, close to a source who has reported that Chip has signed for 5 years @ 700k a season.

Unsubstantiated.

happy with your post but it's a classic case of believe it when I see it

I had a quick look on twitter but couldn't see anything about it

• Like 1

I saw the same on an MFC facebook page. A follow up poster suggested his info was the above deal had been put to Frawley calling his bluff on the back of the Roos signing but there was no timeframe on when Frawley might consider it. Grain of salt stuff at this stage I think

happy with your post but it's a classic case of believe it when I see it

I had a quick look on twitter but couldn't see anything about it

I would be too - the boy couldn't wait to text me....so, I said, we'll see.

Repeat:

Unconfirmed.

Unsubstantiated.

I haven't picked up anywhere that the media is "judging" him one or another on his comments- that is reserved for the domain of some at Demonland. Only are here is it being suggested that he is reflecting poorly on the club both on and off the field.

I have seen many in the media pick up the obvious flaws in his game ( his kicking and decision making at times) but only on here are people suggesting his efforts are "sylvia-esque".

I am ambivalent about him staying - happy for him to stay and happy if we turn him into a draft pick that is well used ( a big if). What I won't do is turn him into a giant spud who is completely surplus to our needs and a poor reflection on our club just because he won't decide in line with supporters timelines.

Some reporting on Roos signing on for a third year has made reference to Frawley's ultimatum earlier in the year, with a question of whether Frawely should now re-sign. The very fact they are mentioning it could imply some sort of onus on Frawley, whereas when you actually look at what he said, Roos hasn't done what he asked (in jest).

Robbo was one who brought this up with Roos himself on 360, asking if the extension required Frawley to re-sign.

But I agree that most of the judgement has been coming from supporters.

Edited by P-man
  • Like 1

I can't believe an off-hand/tongue in cheek comment by Frawley in February is still being raised by "journos" as an ultimatum that Roos has met. Are these people for real?

When I heard it I immediately thought it was tongue in cheek.

• Like 1

5 years at 700.....way overs if true.

Hope this is just scuttlebutt

• Like 2

Yeah, I hope he gets it, or more... Yeah, Yeah !!!

I mean...if it's US !!!!

If that's true it isn't with us- he isn't worth that to us anymore.

I see his true value as a shut down defender, and his spot in the backline has been replaced by Mcdonald. He's been playing second string tall forward and when Hogan comes in he'll be relegated to third- so 700k a season for a third option forward won't happen, although I could see a club in their window who lack a shut down defender maybe willing to fork out the dough.

Would much rather us spend that kind of money on a gun mid, as that's where our needs lay.

If it's true, of course.

Unsubstantiated.

Damn! There goes my Jeremy Cameron and Treloar off season trade fantasy. damn you Chip

• Like 1

5 years at 700.....way overs if true.

Hope this is just scuttlebutt

Bbub couldn't agree more

3 years at $500k would be all he's worth at this stage.

Edited by Chippy
  • Like 1

I personally would happily pay it.

In two years $700k will be cheap as chips. Salary cap could double or triple if players demand it be tied to game revenue as is expected.

He's a miles better player than McDonald, and has more runs on the board as a KPP swing man than Dunn for instance.

If that happened, the players salary (if a contract is in progress) would clearly have to be adjusted to match, so he'd have to be on substantially more if that does in fact happen.

I personally would happily pay it.

In two years $700k will be cheap as chips. Salary cap could double or triple if players demand it be tied to game revenue as is expected.

He's a miles better player than McDonald, and has more runs on the board as a KPP swing man than Dunn for instance.

love the pun andrew

• Like 2

If that happened, the players salary (if a contract is in progress) would clearly have to be adjusted to match, so he'd have to be on substantially more if that does in fact happen.

Nope, that's not how their contracts work.

Hence why most players are signing til end of 2016 so that when CBA is revised they can get their mega $$ accordingly.