WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - ANGUS BRAYSHAW

ashdemons22

Does anyone know why Angus follows the Dockers of all teams???

Heard him say he was originially from Perth, and was a big Pavlich fan. Had some autograph or signed picture from him when he was only 3 years old. Boy that makes me feel old! Doesn't feel so long ago that Pav first debuted.

Knightmare on Angus Brayshaw ~

Angus Brayshaw (VIC Mid)

Height: 187cm, Weight: 87kg, DOB: 09/01/1996

Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons

Draft range: 1-3

Best position/role: Midfield on the ball.

Strengths:

Inside game Brayshaw has shown dominant contested ball winning ability through both the TAC Cup and U18 Championships. His stoppage work is excellent and he is a strong clearance winner. He has clean hands and is clean below the knees and by hand. He stands up through and shrugs tackles well and has real strength over the ball. Brayshaw is a strong tackler and can really bury guys with aggression when he tackles. His inside game is at a level where he can play right away. He accumulates strong numbers through the midfield and excellent tackle numbers. He is also an excellent height and size for an inside player at 187cm, 87kg.

Footskills Brayshaw is a very damaging user of the footy on both his right and left sides and is one of the rare few on-ballers who can use it cleanly and consistently on both sides by foot. He is an excellent decision maker with ball in hand and has the vision to find targets in dangerous positions making him a real playmaker through the midfield. He is capable of executing his kicks while getting tackled and still hit his targets. From the midfield both in space and in traffic he also has a rare ability to find and hit the leading forward 50 targets and get it to where they want it. He is also an excellent finisher around goal and can convert from his set shot opportunities.

Marking ability He is a strong mark overhead. He has the size and strength to beat his opponent in the 1v1 contest but he also reads the flight of the ball exceptionally well and has shown that he can either push back behind the play to take an intercept mark or push forward and be a marking threat on the lead or 1v1.

Work ethic Brayshaw is a hard worker and has put the time and effort into his game. He has developed the ability to use both sides of his body by hand and foot. He has developed his strength and inside game and this past offseason has put the work in athletically to improve his endurance and pace and I anticipate he will continue from year to year to put the work into his game to achieve that continued improvement and development of his game.

Leadership potential Brayshaw in 2014 captained Sandringham Dragons demonstrating strong on field leadership and instruction. Given this it is within his capabilities to down the track become either a component of a teams leadership group or possibly even captain a club.

Weaknesses:

Endurance While Brayshaws endurance is improving it has been a slow build and still requires work before he has the endurance of a full time midfielder at AFL level. Even in the TAC Cup too often he will be out on his feet and unable to cover the ground an AFL level midfielder needs to cover and it will likely take a few preseasons to completely get his endurance up to where it needs to get to.

Athleticism Overall Brayshaw is an only average athlete by position. To his credit he has an improved burst of speed which he uses reasonably well in game over 10-15m with ball in hand at times and he can also occasionally provide some run and carry but other than that occasional burst with ball in hand Brayshaw is only average athlete by position. He is not likely to do too many eye-popping things athletically and he is not going to run around or sidestep all that many players with not a great deal of agility, evasiveness or spring in his step but none the less I do not anticipate any significant problems with his athleticism still good enough by position.

What I expect will improve:

I expect continued improvement in Brayshaws endurance to allow him to cover more of the ground so that at AFL level he can be a full time midfielder. I also expect Brayshaw to continue to improve and expand his inside game and become a more dominant contested ball winner and clearance winner than he already is. Brayshaw I also see continuing to improve as a leader.

Who he can become?

Brayshaw with his dual sided kicking has a feel not completely unlike a taller, bigger bodied Sam Mitchell but I see Brayshaw becoming a slightly less dominant Oliver Wines. He is that similar tall, strong bodied midfielder who can do damage by foot and have an impact immediately and be a key pillar through the midfield long term but his production I feel in looking at his numbers will be slightly but not significantly lower than the production of Wines.

When will he be ready to play?

Brayshaw is round one, season one ready to play. He has the size and production to suggest he can have an impact right away. He can also be a starting midfielder right away but I can see him also receiving some minutes on either a forward or back flank during games as his endurance is not yet quite be up to a level that would allow him to sustain full games at AFL level through the midfield from the outset.

How to best utilise him?

Brayshaw is best utilised on the ball through the midfield.

Interpretation of his numbers:

Brayshaw is arguably the best performed midfielder in this draft class. He is finding the footy both inside and outside the contest. Providing good scoreboard impact. Good tackle numbers and is taking plenty of marks. Has performed strongly through both the TAC Cup and U18 championships. So the indicators are strong and suggest he will play right away and have a long, strong career in our game.

Pretty tough to work out which is his preferred kicking foot. A HUGE skill to have. Very hard not to expect massive things from this kid, but I'm trying

• Like 3

From those highlights he looks like a bigger version of Jack Viney.

I think he'll be better than Viney.

Brayshaw is more dual sided, and harnesses his agression better than Viney.

Jack needs to just slow it down a touch at times and not always go full pelt.

From what I've seen of Brayshaw is that he is the smarter footballer.

• Like 2

That smother was epic! Imagine him doing something like that in front of the members. Tackles with intent too. Going to be a fan favourite pretty quickly I reckon.

Warms the heart!

I see Angus as the second coming of Joel selwood, his leadership and courage is amazing when combined with great skills, good speed and ability on both sides, but he also comes with footy smarts to use them

So excited we got this kid, calling it early but massive chance for rising star imo

• Like 1

I see Angus as the second coming of Joel selwood, his leadership and courage is amazing when combined with great skills, good speed and ability on both sides, but he also comes with footy smarts to use them

So excited we got this kid, calling it early but massive chance for rising star imo

Steady on. Joel Selwood is already one of the best players of the decade, one of the truly elite players running around and his career is only at the halfway point. Brayshaw looks very good but so have most early picks once upon a time. Temper those expectations!

• Like 1