Dawes in trouble ?

nutbean

The problem will be when they ask for Richmond for a medical report on Rance. At the time, it took Rance 30 seconds to get his bearings and once up he fell again.

I doubt the Tigers are going to say "nah, he was fine just a bit soft and tried to milk a free from it."

Are you suggesting it was medium impact? Surely for medium impact you need an actual injury or impact. He kept paying, wasn't subbed off. What other reason is there for "low impact"?

Also, I agree if cited he will go, but if not cited they won't ask for the medical report. Was it a strike? I'm not sure it was. It was a clumsy attempt to block the player, a decision made while in mid air and off balance, and subsequently poorly executed.

Was he within his right to block? The other option was to turn the should and bump which was far more dangerous.

I think he is only in trouble of they call it a strike. I think it would be a good chance of winning if rolling the dice but it won't be worth it of it costs an extra hand as he is too important. Possibly our most important player.

Edited by deanox
  • Like 1

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-05-17/dawes-collects-rance-high

What did I just watch?

Is it striking - No.

Is it rough conduct - doubt it.

Yeah ok he follows through to the head but the level of conduct is surely so far below the force required for suspension. It's clear to me Dawes is trying to hamper him from running on and is mainly trying to push in to his body and can't get the hands down quick enough.

If Dawes gets anything at all for this the games a joke. There's no immediate retribution from Rance. His momentum takes him down more than anything and he felt no ill effects.

Dawes had been copping hits from Rance, just payback. He just needed to be less clumsy. Hopefully, nothing will come of it

As far as I know he has a good record (probably because he hasn't played many games in the last couple of years) so I reckon it'll get a reprimand. Stupid and pointless.

The problem will be when they ask for Richmond for a medical report on Rance. At the time, it took Rance 30 seconds to get his bearings and once up he fell again.

I doubt the Tigers are going to say "nah, he was fine just a bit soft and tried to milk a free from it."

Well if they say he had concussion then they are looking at a full scale AFL investigation for playing a concussed player.

I'm not denying it shook Rance up a bit. But after a minute or so he was fine.

So there's no impact and it's more the action that I think should be let off. It was an ill advised attempt to turn a smother in to a block, both football plays. It was physical and crude but I don't think it was particularly dirty.

Are you suggesting it was medium impact? Surely for medium impact you need an actual injury or impact. He kept paying, wasn't subbed off. What other reason is there for "low impact"?

Also, I agree if cited he will go, but if not cited they won't ask for the medical report. Was it a strike? I'm not sure it was. It was a clumsy attempt to block the player, a decision made while in mid air and off balance, and subsequently poorly executed.

Was he within his right to block? The other option was to turn the should and bump which was far more dangerous.

I think he is only in trouble of they call it a strike. I think it would be a good chance of winning if rolling the dice but it won't be worth it of it costs an extra hand as he is too important. Possibly our most important player.

I was suggesting that the Tigers, if called upon for medical detail wouldn't be saying there was nothing in it due to the fact that Rance appeared affected by Dawes action.

If they said that, it would make Rance look like he made more of it than the reality. In essence, they would be confirming that Rance was acting.

Well if they say he had concussion then they are looking at a full scale AFL investigation for playing a concussed player.

I'm not denying it shook Rance up a bit. But after a minute or so he was fine.

So there's no impact and it's more the action that I think should be let off. It was an ill advised attempt to turn a smother in to a block, both football plays. It was physical and crude but I don't think it was particularly dirty.

Agree with all of what you've said. It was a clumsy act of frustration more than anything but we all know how the MRP works.

Don't know the exact demerit point allocation but I would say it will be a reprimand.

He may even get off completely as force used not sufficient to warrant a report (or even a free kick).

I was suggesting that the Tigers, if called upon for medical detail wouldn't be saying there was nothing in it due to the fact that Rance appeared affected by Dawes action.

If they said that, it would make Rance look like he made more of it than the reality. In essence, they would be confirming that Rance was acting.

Yeah fair enough. I don't know how the AFL interprets the medical report into 5 categories: insufficient, low, medium, high, severe.

He doesn't deserve to get suspended. It wasn't a strike, it was nothing more than a clumsy block. No real impact, Rance was stunned for, what, 30 seconds?

However, even at the lowest possible points (negligent, high contact, low impact), his carry over points will force him to miss a week, and knowing the MRP, he'll get something. If it's two I'll be livid.

• Like 2

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-05-17/dawes-collects-rance-high

What did I just watch?

Is it striking - No.

Is it rough conduct - doubt it.

Yeah ok he follows through to the head but the level of conduct is surely so far below the force required for suspension. It's clear to me Dawes is trying to hamper him from running on and is mainly trying to push in to his body and can't get the hands down quick enough.

If Dawes gets anything at all for this the games a joke. There's no immediate retribution from Rance. His momentum takes him down more than anything and he felt no ill effects.

It's such a soft game these days though, that you can rarely tell what the MRP will do, but usually they'll jump to a ridiculous conclusion. See the Viney mess.

i know its conspiratorial, but dawes at the MCG on Queen's birthday vs the old mob, a player who is one of the leaders of a resurgent mob in a match that will hold great interest, would be worth a few bums on seats at the game, and we all know the key driver of the AFL is $$$$$$$$$$$$$

i'm tipping he'll get one week

• Like 2

Yeah 1 week is OK. The conditions in Darwin probably aren't ideal for a big key forward.

Hopefully Frawley is ready so it's one in, one out.

Its in Alice Springs. Apparently weather is nice at this time of the year - dry and mild. Perfect for footy. but at least he doesn't have to travel in a plane, won't get injured playing and will be cheery ripe fro the Magpies game (how Lynch working out maggies?)

Should be training our players to just use the elbow, that seems to be OK.

Or maybe a bit of the old head butt action ala Stevie J.

• Like 1

Yeah 1 week is OK. The conditions in Darwin probably aren't ideal for a big key forward.

Hopefully Frawley is ready so it's one in, one out.

Its in Alice Springs. Apparently weather is nice at this time of the year - dry and mild. Perfect for footy. Where we played the Cats in the pre season. Nice looking ground

But at least he doesn't have to travel in a plane, won't get injured playing and will be cherry ripe for the Magpies game (how's Lynch working out maggies?)