GWS player arrested on a raft of charges for assault

jnrmac

If he pleads guilty at first appearance it will stay at the lower court

No mate

Common Law

Straight upstairs

The victim was apparently the bouncer; how would you read that?

I arrested a few bouncers for assault over the years, and while I know a few good ones (people probably say the same thing about cops), I'd definetly be keeping an open mind until all statements are taken (or exceptionally good CCTV). Most bouncers usually back force as an early option, that said wasn't there.

Hamburger with the lot thanks, wouldn't get too excited, $5 says he ends up with recklessly causing injury, think of everything else as alternate charges. Having laid those particular set of charges 50+ (with minor variations) times. The big charge is intentionally cause serious injury, that's a committal hearing/county court job (And I was surprised there are a few other alternates I would have thrown in.)

Will probably find the victim was the architect of his own demise as well, very few 'innocents' in a night club barney. Watch it plea down to a good behaviour bond (as it would for any other citizen unless they have priors/ a docket).

so you just throw everything at them for the sake of it and then they throw it all out of court

our system of law and order in action

Hamburger with the lot thanks, wouldn't get too excited, $5 says he ends up with recklessly causing injury, think of everything else as alternate charges. Having laid those particular set of charges 50+ (with minor variations) times. The big charge is intentionally cause serious injury, that's a committal hearing/county court job (And I was surprised there are a few other alternates I would have thrown in.)

Will probably find the victim was the architect of his own demise as well, very few 'innocents' in a night club barney. Watch it plea down to a good behaviour bond (as it would for any other citizen unless they have priors/ a docket).

should get the Dane Swan treatment in that he completely gets away with it scot free and then doesn't even pay the compo money for making a bloke 'borderline mentally disabled'

For those who haven't worked out the way around news limited sites is to click on the article you want to read, and if you are blocked replace the internet address www.heraldsun to www.news.

And if you still can't be bothered I copied the entire text from the article in 2009 below; interesting precedent int terms of events and profile of those involved.

MAGPIE star Dane Swan is accused of welshing on his part of a $100,000 payment to a cleaner he savagely bashed at Federation Square, leaving the man with a permanent brain injury.

Lawyers for the victim claim the 2009 Copeland Trophy champion failed to pay the agreed compensation before last Friday's deadline.

Swan, Wayne Carey's nephew Kade Carey and former Williamstown player Aaron Ramsay had agreed to pay Claudio Celano as a result of a vicious 2003 attack.

Mr Celano, of Preston, was left with fractures to his eye socket, cheekbone, wrist and nose, bruises to his ribs and chest and lacerations to his shoulder.

He sued the three for damages in the County Court but reached a confidential settlement last month.

The Herald Sun believes the parties agreed to a payment of $100,000.

"After some six years of litigation, during which time Claude has been unable to work and has suffered ongoing pain, memory loss and psychological injuries, he has now found that Swan, Carey and Ramsay are not even prepared to pay a settlement sum previously agreed upon," lawyers for Mr Celano said yesterday.

"They have shown a total lack of remorse for this vicious attack and the injuries caused. For how long will Claude need to wait for compensation, or even an apology?"

Lawyers for Swan, Carey and Ramsay declined to discuss the terms of settlement yesterday but said the three planned to honour their commitments.

A fresh court date has been set by Mr Celano's lawyers for November 10 in a bid to collect the money.

Swan, Carey and Ramsay pleaded guilty to affray in the County Court in 2006 and were ordered by a judge to perform community service.

Carey, a former Essendon VFL player, was also given a two-month wholly suspended jail sentence for punching a policeman in the face.

Three security guards were also injured in the 2003 fracas in which the footballers kicked and punched their victims in front of shocked witnesses.

His lawyers say Mr Celano, who was working at Federation Square, suffered a brain injury that left him borderline intellectually disabled.

The reason you give a hamburger is because the highest charge or most serious which is intentional cause injury is hard to prove as you have to show he intended to cause a serious injury and there was an actual serious injury etc etc. The lesser charges are easy to prove and if the police can't prove one part of the intentional cause injury then he will get all the others as assault is the act not what occurs after or what was intended.

The whole thing will come down to the level if injuries sustained. With intentional cause serious injury there is usually 3 other charges with it.

I think he might of assaulted at least two persons hence the reckless cause injury charge.

Edited by Wolfmother

I reckon he should be sacked , they are trying to establish a culture and it's not like they are lacking in talent to cover him, send him on his way and send a message.

I reckon he should be sacked , they are trying to establish a culture and it's not like they are lacking in talent to cover him, send him on his way and send a message.

It's their problem 'Sassy', let them sort it; or the AFL if they don't like it.

I think they do have a culture problem though and the AFL haven't yet been able to correct it even by changing management. It will be a deeper issue if they don't get it sorted and they will struggle to hold their good kids.

Might make it harder for us to pinch talent, as they now have one less player they'd consider part of their young talent stocks.

I'd say he's a bad egg they have effectively put a line through him for now.

For those who haven't worked out the way around news limited sites is to click on the article you want to read, and if you are blocked replace the internet address www.heraldsun to www.news.

And if you still can't be bothered I copied the entire text from the article in 2009 below; interesting precedent int terms of events and profile of those involved.

MAGPIE star Dane Swan is accused of welshing on his part of a $100,000 payment to a cleaner he savagely bashed at Federation Square, leaving the man with a permanent brain injury.

Lawyers for the victim claim the 2009 Copeland Trophy champion failed to pay the agreed compensation before last Friday's deadline.

Swan, Wayne Carey's nephew Kade Carey and former Williamstown player Aaron Ramsay had agreed to pay Claudio Celano as a result of a vicious 2003 attack.

Mr Celano, of Preston, was left with fractures to his eye socket, cheekbone, wrist and nose, bruises to his ribs and chest and lacerations to his shoulder.

He sued the three for damages in the County Court but reached a confidential settlement last month.

The Herald Sun believes the parties agreed to a payment of $100,000.

"After some six years of litigation, during which time Claude has been unable to work and has suffered ongoing pain, memory loss and psychological injuries, he has now found that Swan, Carey and Ramsay are not even prepared to pay a settlement sum previously agreed upon," lawyers for Mr Celano said yesterday.

"They have shown a total lack of remorse for this vicious attack and the injuries caused. For how long will Claude need to wait for compensation, or even an apology?"

Lawyers for Swan, Carey and Ramsay declined to discuss the terms of settlement yesterday but said the three planned to honour their commitments.

A fresh court date has been set by Mr Celano's lawyers for November 10 in a bid to collect the money.

Swan, Carey and Ramsay pleaded guilty to affray in the County Court in 2006 and were ordered by a judge to perform community service.

Carey, a former Essendon VFL player, was also given a two-month wholly suspended jail sentence for punching a policeman in the face.

Three security guards were also injured in the 2003 fracas in which the footballers kicked and punched their victims in front of shocked witnesses.

His lawyers say Mr Celano, who was working at Federation Square, suffered a brain injury that left him borderline intellectually disabled.

so what, if anything has transpired since 2009?

I heard on SEN this morning allegations that Greene and his mates tried to take their pots of beer out of the venue and when the bouncer told them they couldn't, they turned on him. Said they had him on the ground and were laying into him with fists, feet and even a walking crutch. Obviously, these are claims only.

I heard on SEN this morning allegations that Greene and his mates tried to take their pots of beer out of the venue and when the bouncer told them they couldn't, they turned on him. Said they had him on the ground and were laying into him with fists, feet and even a walking crutch. Obviously, these are claims only.

Yes I heard that too and it was also said that he had been in trouble before this but the club had managed to keep it quiet; it would appear that he mixes with a pretty ordinary bunch (and his friends aren't much better).

John Ralph stated that the GWS players sledge more than any other club and seem to think they've done it all already, you have to wonder how many of the young guys up there just want to play football and would prefer out of the place, like Dom Tyson.

There are a few up there that you wouldn't touch.

John Ralph stated that the GWS players sledge more than any other club and seem to think they've done it all already, you have to wonder how many of the young guys up there just want to play football and would prefer out of the place, like Dom Tyson.

Sheedy's hands all over that.

• Like 2

Ha, is every second poster on Demonland an accredited lawyer?

One of you might even be a judge!

Can't be a very good judge if they barrack for Melbourne.

Yes I heard that too and it was also said that he had been in trouble before this but the club had managed to keep it quiet; it would appear that he mixes with a pretty ordinary bunch (and his friends aren't much better).

Like $cully.