Changes for Round 6 vs Sydney

titan_uranus

Plenty are Crouch just won the rising star! Where is Melbournes rising star?

If Rising Star nominations meant anything in the broader sense, Melbourne would have had 14 flags between 2000 and 2014.

I hope he does and I agree with what you've said I accept the MFCs form hasn't been easy on Grimes's development

what i disagree with is your last statement - Blokes like Toumpas and even Terlich have shown the ability to use the ball and take the game on under extreme pressure.... IMO Grimes hasn't

But as I said - I agree that with better support Grimes will be better, and hopefully he can find some confidence, but if he can't improve I think he'll struggle to find a spot if we find players to fill those holes

Not sure I agree with this. Terlich is OK until he's under pressure and then he seems to panic. And often he seems to put himself under pressure. It's like he's committed to doing something before he's worked out exactly what. Then, he realises it's the wrong option and his game falls apart. That's not to say his problems aren't rectifiable - Nathan Jones played the same way in his early years. But right now, I'd take Grimes over Terlich.

Not sure I agree with this. Terlich is OK until he's under pressure and then he seems to panic. And often he seems to put himself under pressure. It's like he's committed to doing something before he's worked out exactly what. Then, he realises it's the wrong option and his game falls apart. That's not to say his problems aren't rectifiable - Nathan Jones played the same way in his early years. But right now, I'd take Grimes over Terlich.

I am not actually arguing with you La Dee VC - all I am trying to say is that our back 6 as a general all have average to poor disposal. I was trying to say I've seen Terlich do some nice things but the majority sadly has been poor.

I am not trying to rate players better or worse then Grimes I am just trying to argue that our back 6 as an offensive unit is poor and we don't have many options. Do we develop a back 6 or do we stay cometitive??

i think Roos is doing the right thing and staying competitive while young blokes gain experiance - Toumpas, Salem, Clisby and to a lesser extent Blease and Strauss who have to do the team things before getting in to the side...

I am not trying to pick on Grimes per say - just wanting to discuss our abmysmal kick ins, decision making (we've all see the short kick turnovers in the back half) and ball use.... It won't change overnight and there other players who are worse offenders then Grimes but he is part of that back 6 unit and hence a target in my discussion... ANd i see our back 6 as a real weakness of the current team for ball use - defence has been good in the back half but attacking or ball use has been incredibly poor. Just my opinion

Would love to see him gain some confidence and really take games on - but fact is he dosen't and isn't at the moment... All I am trying to say is if we are going to develop over competiveness I am not sure if Grimes would make the side.. again my opinion and a short sighted one as I hope he can kick on

Back to round 5 changes - i don't forsee too many - Maybe Jamar or Clisby but I think Roos wants to keep the team competitive and will give blokes chances as long as the effort is there

Edited by Unleash Hell
  • Like 2

He will not play. I'll tell you that now.

He said his name has now come up at the selection table. That is the extent of it.

He will be made to play at a consistently high level at Casey for a few weeks before he gets a game.

• Like 2

But he shouldn't come in as he is not up to AFL standard, as has been proven time and time again. He is exactly the kind of player with whom we should bite the bullet and delist, and try our luck elsewhere. There are a number on the list at the moment.

Strauss has played 24 games, less than Jetta's 42, Bennell's 50-plus and way less than Daniher's project Brent Grgic, who got 80-plus before being delisted.

He's 23 and a year younger than Terlich, who has already clocked up 25.

Strauss possesses a long line-clearing kick, something that Jetta, Terlich and Bennell don't have - Grgic had one as well but his went 70feet up as well so that forwards were sat on by the time it reached them,

I know Strauss gets beaten one-on-one in air a bit but I'd rather see a player who has a bit of a weapon get game.

Ultimately he may not make it due to lack of strength, but he's got more chance of doing so as a small running defender than any of the other guys mentioned above.

Tell me how many guys at Hawthorn - other than Puopolo and Mitchell - can't kick the ball further than 45m like Jetta and Bennell and Terlich.

• Like 1

He will not play. I'll tell you that now.

He said his name has now come up at the selection table. That is the extent of it.

He will be made to play at a consistently high level at Casey for a few weeks before he gets a game.

authoritative

• Like 1

I think we should be playing Salem this week, he has had a couple of good games and has shown he can mix it with the VFL boys and win. the quality of his skills means that he does not have a lot of things in the skill area to learn playing VFL the main reason you drop or play players there is to give them easier games to find the ball and to play themselves into form. Salem has shown he is currently playing in reasonable form and his history seems to imply that he players pretty consistently, so why keep in running around with Casey when some of our other players could benefit from playing there to learn how to get more ball and use it better. While Roos would obviously like to see players knocking hard on the door to get a promotion you also have to consider the opposite side of the coin are those playing in the seniors playing well enough to warrant their position in the team.

With Tippett and Reid still out and Goodes highly unlikely to be rushed in, although they may make him the sub because of who he is, the Swans forward line is more than likely going to be much the same as last week with Buddy and Roberts-Thomson the main bigs and the resting ruckman (Nankervis may come in for Derickx because they are playing us and will want to blood a youngster in an easy game) the other tall when not benched.

That means the decision on whether to play Pedersen is more whether PR wants his flexibility ahead of Jamar's ruckwork.

I expect both to be named in squad of 25 with a decision made closer to day, depending on what the Swans decide with Goodes, who I doubt will play midfield first game back.

It is interesting to see that the swarm of people bagging Pedo has stopped in recent weeks - perhaps some now appreciate that he is a handy defender with a thumping kick who provides a bit of versatility and that, like many players, he is unable to cope with the demands of a key forward role, which is even harder to master at Melbourne.

With Col back he has a battle to keep his spot merely because of match-ups.

The Swans, contrary to what other posters are trying to tell us, have a small forward line up at moment because of injury.

McGlynn, Parker, Brandon Jack, Cunningham aren't exactly tall so it's only when Pyke or Derickx/Nankervis rest up there that we will need a third big and Dunny often has to switch from midsize to talls anyway, so is ideal for that role.

With the Swans so small, I think Strauss is a big chance to play and I hope he gets a go.

It's probably why Nev Jetta will also get another chance, but if he continues to sit back and watch like Bennell used to, then it's goodbye Nev.

For me the back six this week are: Tom Mc, Garland, Dunn, Grimes, Jetta and Strauss with Terlich and Georgiou given time off and Pedo in only if we don't play two rucks - ie: Spencil and Jamar - or if the selectors decide Col needs another game under his belt.

Josh Kelly spent how many weeks in the reserves before his debut? If Salem is up to it he plays. If he's found out after a few weeks he goes back to the VFL.

Edited by Deemotivated

I think it is good to debut players as long as they get a taste of winning, Dunstan, Templeton and Billings have all had that at the Saints. Kelly has also tasted success at the Giants.

The risk is we bring in Salem and we get belted by the Swans, then all the sudden Salem goes back in his shell and we have another Jack Watts project on our hands.

It might be smarter to debut him when we find some form and when we are playing well.

Josh Kelly spent how many weeks in the reserves before his debut? If Salem is up to it he plays. If he's found out after a few weeks he goes back to the VFL.

Good point and a similar thing happened to Jack Billings who played in Rd 1 and it didn't seem to hurt him in Rd 5.

Salem has now played three VFL games, one VFL practice game, two intraclub matches - he's hardly being rushed.

He can play forward or midfield - he is ideal for the sub role this week and I'm just as happy if he starts.

There is a big difference to the days that we rushed in Watts and Toumpas.

Watts had played only three VFL games and had no more than 15 disposals before being rushed in to play the Pies.

Toumpas got in for Rd 1 last year because the coach didn't like the older guys in the team - that's being rushed.

You could also make a case that JKH was rushed this year on the back of a super game against Richmond pre-season, although he showed in that one game more potential as a small forward than any of our other little 'uns since the Aaron Davey came on the scene.

But don't try and make out Salem's being rushed. It's Rd 6, he's had half a year doing weights and he's almost 19 and he's coming off a BOG.

And from every report that I've read about him - he's not a starry-eyed kid, he knows how to tackle and his kicking is better than the majority of the team.

I think it is good to debut players as long as they get a taste of winning, Dunstan, Templeton and Billings have all had that at the Saints. Kelly has also tasted success at the Giants.

The risk is we bring in Salem and we get belted by the Swans, then all the sudden Salem goes back in his shell and we have another Jack Watts project on our hands.

It might be smarter to debut him when we find some form and when we are playing well.

So based on that we have to wait until our Rd 19 game against Brisbane to see him play!

I would have thought any game at the MCG would be a good starting point.

I think they are both lacking in any particular weapon that would worry the opposition. Spencil can tackle a little in close and competes better in congestion IMO. Jamar a slightly better mark or at least brings the ball to ground a little more often by getting to a few more contests. Jamar can occasionally push forward and clunk a mark i50 and kick the odd goal once in a few matches. Spencil never does this.

A marginal call but both are lumbering. Spencil can get a short pass off fairly accurately. I wouldn't bet on Jamar doing that.

So what do you do?

I say we're going nowhere with either.

Get Gawn in once fit, develop Max King to see what he might have in the locker. Meanwhile keep looking elsewhere for a decent ruckman who has a weapon or 2 that will worry the opposition and can assist in a few extra goals our way.

Interesting stats, and we all know that stats are the bees' knees, and never lie :-) , for those who praise Jamar's around the ground marking as a strength:

Jamar - career average 2.3 marks per game vs Spencer 2.6

Compare those for example with Cox 4.4, Sandilands 3.2, and our own Gawnius Maximus 2.9

Just pointing out that IMO MJ doesn't offer much (anymore) than a lot of hit outs, few of which are to advantage and fewer that result in clearances (though I acknowledge that he hasn't had the opportunity to ruck to our new and improved more mature midfield).

• Like 1

...not that we are going to start a Kelly vs Salem thread along the tedious lines of the burgeoning Wines vs Toumpass threads , are we :-((((

Edited by monoccular

The big difference being that Salem's preseason was interrupted by a thyroid condition from which he lost something's like 7kgs.

The coaching staff may think he is not yet match fit. The game on the weekend was his first run as an inside mid, he would probably need more than one run in this position to attain enough match fitness to play firsts football.

• Like 1

Garland in!!! Tmac and the boys down back got monstered from the long ball into the forward line. Otherwise said, Gold Coast talls seemed to take to many marks in front of goal to frequently for my liking. It was the most frustrating aspect of today's game for me

The Suns were ranked last in the league for marks inside 50m, averaging only six per game. Against Melbourne they had 17 marks inside 50.

Our back line got pummelled. It needs bolstering.

Edited by jnrmac

There are reports currently on Sydney radio that Franklin had been involved in another incident in his car! If true lets hope the Swans punish him and send him to the Magoos!

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/national/lance-buddy-franklin-involved-in-car-crash-on-new-south-head-road-rose-bay/story-fni0xqrc-1226893748443

What a moron

• Like 1