St. Kilda v Melbourne - Match Preview & Team Selection

Demonland

Love that centreline of Toumpas, Watts and Tyson.

I also would prefer Blease to Byrnes, but maybe Roosy is sending a message to Bleasey that he needs to improve his tank.

Why is Byrnes in the team?

Yeah, I surprised Roos didn't consult the Demonland experts before giving Byrnes and Pedersen a game.

• Like 14

New year, fresh hope... Until you see spuds like bail, spencer, jones, Byrnes and Terlich still getting games.

What I'd give for some aggro and mongrel as well. Plenty of nice boys there with Hogan, Viney and. Kent missing. A very soft side. Thank goodness we're playing sandy zebras' midfield.

Bail and Terlich have the ability to turn it on (Bail rarely though).

Spencer, Jones and Byrnes seem duds to me. I can't believe we offered Jones 3 years (as if they didn't learn from Jamar's/Pedersen contract)

Edited by Young Dee

Pedo for the Coleman.

• Like 1

Disappointing side for round 1 for mine, too many players not AFL standard.

No fault of anyone, we can only work with what we have.

• Like 2

The smell of desperation emanates from Seaford . Dont expect much from Gilbert...very underdone currently

Gunna be a hard year being a Sainter

From training today, you will see I had Matt Jones in the 25, he's earned it, he was excellent today, speed on the outside, let's leave the vitriol about Bail, Pedersen, Spencer and Byrnes till after the game if it is warranted, JKH will be sub, so Byrnes knows perform or else, we have a new coach who will have given each player a specific role, if they don't do it, he,they and we know they won't be there next week, that is the only promise Roos has made

• Like 12

C'mon Jabberwock, now is not the time for such negativity. Agree there are a couple of blokes that may not be up to AFL standard but the nucleus of a competitive unit is there for all to see. To think of the out and out duds we had running around in 2012 & 2013 this side is the first of 23 steps in the right direction.

• Like 2

From training today, you will see I had Matt Jones in the 25, he's earned it, he was excellent today, speed on the outside, let's leave the vitriol about Bail, Pedersen, Spencer and Byrnes till after the game if it is warranted, JKH will be sub, so Byrnes knows perform or else, we have a new coach who will have given each player a specific role, if they don't do it, he,they and we know they won't be there next week, that is the only promise Roos has made

far too much reality.... go to the naughty corner

edit :except i really dont dont get Byrnes..lol

Edited by beelzebub

I thought Byrnes would make it. I can see him doing really well with some good coaching and a clear game plan. He played in 2 premierships with a good coach and a clear game plan.

Rapt to see Ro Bail get a go, really love his energy, pace and hardness.

I feel for Sammy Blease but he will be the first player in for round 2 for any player who performs poorly. I would have had him ahead of Michie.

Pederson has been a total spud up until Roos arrived. Since then he has trained with intensity, and thrown himself into every game.

Not a great team with a genuine lack of forward power, but Fitzy may cause a lot of problems with the Saints equally weak backline. Howe is the one the Saints have to cover.

I expect a fairly poor standard game in the first half, and then one of the teams to pull easily away in the second half. It feels more likely to be the Dees.

• Like 2

Bail I thought was a certainty on pre-season form. I'm surprised that people are talking about him as if he were a surprise. I don't love him by any stretch, but is clear best 22 at present for mine.

• Like 5

we should win this, they are very average on paper.

As an old coach of mine would say pregame- "games of footy aren't won on faaaarking paper".

St kilda look weak, but last year port looked average and had a new coach who had them all on the same page. Alan Richardson strikes me as a quality manager of players, and I could easily see st kilda coming out with a lot if pressure and the younger players having a lot of appetite for the contest. Gee we need to win. Another off season in the news regarding our trading and our injuries, we really need a good solid win to get that excitement back.

• Like 1

Bail I thought was a certainty on pre-season form. I'm surprised that people are talking about him as if he were a surprise. I don't love him by any stretch, but is clear best 22 at present for mine.

Agreed. Roos clearly likes his workrate and ability to find space in the forward 50. If he were a better set shot I'd be happier, but he's been doing a good job.

• Like 2

My quote won't work, Roh Bail told me he has been working with a guy with a terrible set shot, Jack Watts, to improve his set shots

95% of the battle is getting the set shot, he is good enough to do that fairly often, just seems to get nervous to me, little voices in his head making it hard