Chip Frawley

Deemotivated

Garry Lyon said Frawley was worth 'about 500k' when asked on the Footy Show today.

What we he know about whether Frawley is worth 800k or 500k?

The cap will be just over $10m next year and we have to pay somebody.

Spread $9.5m over the list and Frawley is going to get paid some coin (we have to pay the cap floor).

• Like 1

Keepiny Frawley would also give us the advabtage to target other free agents such as Rosa. If we lose Frawley we wouldnt want to dilute our compo. Frawley + Rosa > Goddard I think.

• Like 1

are we guaranteed to get a 1st rounder after our first pick if we lose Frawley?

Now we have Roos and co. on board and our player development may actually start to resemble AFL standard, youd surely have to take pick 5 or 6 (depending where we finish) and say all the best CHip

Our backline is doing great without him, and Hogan will come into the side at some point as a key forward alongside Dawes

Pick 5 and 6 will give Roos and the other coaches two top end talents to mould into star players

Frawley has denied he's asking for $800,000 despite 'newsbreakers' like Barrett falsely peddling the amount as recently as this morning's Sunday Footy Show.

I'd say this was pretty adamant:

"Frawley ... strongly dismissed reports he is demanding $800,000 a year in his next contract ... "the media pumped it up that I'd put $800,000 on my head. I don't know where they pulled that from. It's just not true," he said.

I'm not asking for $800,000: Frawley

• Like 2

Frawley has denied he's asking for $800,000 despite 'newsbreakers' like Barrett falsely peddling the amount as recently as this morning's Sunday Footy Show.

I'd say this was pretty adamant:

"Frawley ... strongly dismissed reports he is demanding $800,000 a year in his next contract ... "the media pumped it up that I'd put $800,000 on my head. I don't know where they pulled that from. It's just not true," he said.I'm not asking for $800,000: Frawley

What else do you expect him say? Actually, he's probably after 1 mill and the Hawks will pay, Freo will pay, WC will pay, Saints will pay and possibly a couple of others.

If he leaves we get a pick straight after our first pick....perhaps 3 and 4? Hmmmmm.....

Edited by jumbo returns

What else do you expect him say? Actually, he's probably after 1 mill and the Hawks will pay, Freo will pay, WC will pay, Saints will pay and possibly a couple of others.

If he leaves we get a pick straight after our first pick....perhaps 3 and 4? Hmmmmm.....

Think the Hawks were quoted as saying when the $800k was put to them that they were not interested in him at that price.

I actually think his ability to get a high price has been dropping this year.

Edited by Redleg

Think the Hawks were quoted as saying when the $800k was put to them that they were not interested in him at that price.

I actually think his ability to get a high price has been dropping this year.

If a deal has been done already with an unknown club then all these rumoured figures could be just a smokescreen to fob off unwanted suitors. For all we know the Hawks may already own him at a lesser price.

If a deal has been done already with an unknown club then all these rumoured figures could be just a smokescreen to fob off unwanted suitors. For all we know the Hawks may already own him at a lesser price.

That is possible. However if he wants to leave and the main reason is money and not success, then he wouldn't be fobbing off anyone who can drive the price higher or offer the highest price.

That is possible. However if he wants to leave and the main reason is money and not success, then he wouldn't be fobbing off anyone who can drive the price higher or offer the highest price.

Maybe he wants money and success. May be willing a play for a modest discount if likelihood of success is in the package.

I am in no doubt that he has already signed with someone, most probably Hawthorn. Hogan is clearly capable of playing the role that Frawley is playing now (will play it better), so it's a replacement in 2015 that doesn't require time spent developing someone to play it. If we left him in the backline, and built a defensive model with Frawley in it, it would be a bigger loss if/when he leaves.

If we win this weekend and make it two in a row I would Say we are showing genuine signs of direction and imporovement, plus we will pay him more than other sides plus we will let him play forward plus he is a loyal country boy.

But watching hawthorn who wouldn't wanna get on board that ship

I am in no doubt that he has already signed with someone, most probably Hawthorn. Hogan is clearly capable of playing the role that Frawley is playing now (will play it better), so it's a replacement in 2015 that doesn't require time spent developing someone to play it. If we left him in the backline, and built a defensive model with Frawley in it, it would be a bigger loss if/when he leaves.

On the assumption that Frawley is already gone I would not surprised if he has told Roos he is leaving and both come to an arrangement for a smooth exit. As he will not fit in to our future plans it still allows Frawley to help out the club by filling big holes in the forward line. It also will allow him to depart with some grace and dignity and avoid the destabilisation and turbulence that occurred when the little malingerer left.

Edited by america de cali

True, but it was the simple explanation and good enough without giving a full English lesson.

But it's not very difficult either. Except if you become a journalist. Then you start using 'impact' instead to ensure you don't wrongly use effect when you should have said affect and vice versa. And the result is that now we have no word which means impact. One will doubtless emerge. Language changes, but you would hope that changes from misuse would arise from sources other than professional writers. Sorry off topic....

On the assumption that Frawley is already gone I would not surprised if he has told Roos he is leaving and both come to an arrangement for a smooth exit. As he will not fit in to our future plans it still allows Frawley to help out the club by filling big holes in the forward line. It also will allow him to depart with some grace and dignity and avoid the destabilisation and turbulence that occurred when the little malingerer left.

Good post. If indeed he has decided he is going your hypothesis would be very Roos like (and smart) even though he has said previously in such a scenario (knowing a player is going) he'd play him in the magoos.

The Hawks would love him given Lake might only have another year. It would be a terrific almost like for like replacement (though Lake is a better player, albeit one near the end of his career).

Still i'm not convinced he's gone. We can pay him some good coin and by all accounts he is a loyal bloke. I think he is overrated by non dees fans (ie by those who don't watch him each week) TBO, but i would love him to stay - even if we pay a bit overs (which i doubt would bother his team mates too much given his service) and we miss out on the compo pick we would otherwise get. Great vote of confidence in the club and he is a super popular teammate by all accounts.

Edited by binman

I am most definitely aware that I have been fooled once and any future shame will be on me, but FA does bring into consideration the possibility that a decision has not been made and that he will weigh up the options in front of him as the year progresses and, possibly, into October.

I am most definitely aware that I have been fooled once and any future shame will be on me, but FA does bring into consideration the possibility that a decision has not been made and that he will weigh up the options in front of him as the year progresses and, possibly, into October.

Equally, it also brings in to consideration that a decision has been made, as clubs get FA details early in the season, and probably earlier due to their own workings out.

What's your point?

It's and interesting one. He's definitely forward to help the structure but if Roos thinks he's on the way out it might also add to the decision.

Absolutely...Roos is killing 2 birds with one stone right now...If Chip Leaves he is 12 months ahead on a new structure...If he stays he can play both ends of the ground.

• Like 2

Equally, it also brings in to consideration that a decision has been made, as clubs get FA details early in the season, and probably earlier due to their own workings out.

What's your point?

Well, actually, there is an agreement that clubs can't directly talk to players management outside of the 'off-season' - hence why Scully and Ablett were signed up a year in advance.

And you couldn't see my point?

That players will sign later and later and it doesn't mean collusion or conspiracy? You couldn't get there?

That could be the case but I am sure smart and proactive and clubs would try and get in early. I guess Sheedy thought he was smart and proactive in poaching Scully early but since proved to be his delusion. Frawley's current indifferent form and playing out of position is not a great selling point assuming he is still in the market.

• Like 2

Indifferent form? He played one bad game and he was injured.. him playing like he is up forward will be boosting his value significantly imo

Well, actually, there is an agreement that clubs can't directly talk to players management outside of the 'off-season' - hence why Scully and Ablett were signed up a year in advance.

And you couldn't see my point?

That players will sign later and later and it doesn't mean collusion or conspiracy? You couldn't get there?

I believe he is going. I believe it has been agreed to well before the start of this season.

I think some players genuinely do leave contracts to the end of the season with no malice intended. I also think some players leave it to the end of the season because they have no intention of staying. I think Frawley is in the latter, which is just my own opinion.

Take a look at the "Discovered" clip on the MFC website. He talks about being a country person he will bring loyalty to the club, but then talks about footy being a business.

Let's have an honest look at Frawley's "business";

* He will get paid as much at the MFC as he would any other club

* His life-after-footy won't be damaged by being an exclusive MFC player, and if he were to move to a different club and become a "premiership player", it's not going to increase his business value when he retires. Let's face it, he's not going to make an AFL coach, he absolutely won't be used in the media, he might get a job coaching at local level, which will pay as much if he's an ex-premiership player or not.

* Basically, James' business is footy, that's it. He has a window where he will have the opportunity to earn a significant wage for the next 5-7 years, and really set himself up for the next phase of his life.

De needs to decide if he is happy to play for the MFC, and help drive them to finals, especially given he is a "leader". Or, he has to decide if he wants to chase immediate success with a genuine premiership contender. I won't begrudge him if he did leave for those reasons, but to use "football is a business" as his reason for delaying contract talks? Please.

I believe he is going. I believe it has been agreed to well before the start of this season.

I think some players genuinely do leave contracts to the end of the season with no malice intended. I also think some players leave it to the end of the season because they have no intention of staying. I think Frawley is in the latter, which is just my own opinion.

Take a look at the "Discovered" clip on the MFC website. He talks about being a country person he will bring loyalty to the club, but then talks about footy being a business.

* His life-after-footy won't be damaged by being an exclusive MFC player, and if he were to move to a different club and become a "premiership player", it's not going to increase his business value when he retires. Let's face it, he's not going to make an AFL coach, he absolutely won't be used in the media, he might get a job coaching at local level, which will pay as much if he's an ex-premiership player or not.

* Basically, James' business is footy, that's it. He has a window where he will have the opportunity to earn a significant wage for the next 5-7 years, and really set himself up for the next phase of his life.

De needs to decide if he is happy to play for the MFC, and help drive them to finals, especially given he is a "leader". Or, he has to decide if he wants to chase immediate success with a genuine premiership contender. I won't begrudge him if he did leave for those reasons, but to use "football is a business" as his reason for delaying contract talks? Please.

You're drawing a long bow to conclude he is already gone, in my opinion.

I think he honestly is simply waiting, as he has stated clearly and has been advised to do.

• Like 1

In the one post you say that players do leave contract discussions until the end of the season 'with no malice intended' (I am not entirely sure what that means) but that the reason he used to leave his contract discussions until the end of the season isn't believable?

What is a good reason? Other than the vague, catch-all "Football is a business" reason that he gave?

You can believe what you want, I am just curious to know what someone should say if they are genuine about their desire to not sign a contract for anyone until the season is over?

• Like 2