Frawley wants to know...

Undeeterred

With negotiation I always ask what the other party wants. Often I am surprised at how little that is. Sometimes what they want is not what I presume. For instance, do they want a short or long contract? Do they want a performance based contract. Do they want a different number, to play midfield/forward. If you don't ask you may be offering something with no value to them but a cost to you.

Open and honest negotiation is vital. ie Don't say we cant afford it if you can. Say the truth, you are not our most valuable player so we can't pay you the most. Ask the player where they think they fit in terms of value to the team, discuss your own valuation. If comparable the payment is fairly obvious. I know this is simplistic but it is where it should start. Chip seems to be like many Melbourne supporters, he is sick of being disappointed. If we lift and look like that will continue he will stay.

How do you rate Frawley? I say he is in our top five/six.

• Like 2

Another cynical question is what are Frawley's thoughts on Jade Rawlings. Of the assistant coaches he is the one with senior potential (Stone probably not keen, Matthews and McPherson not interested). If we were to promote Rawlings at the end of the year it could certainly be a decision that heavily influences his choice one way or another.

I actually think Rawlings is the front runner to being our senior coach (via senior assistant to Roos) he has experience at several clubs including almost half a season as senior coach @ Richmond and did pretty well. Also why wouldn't the club take the opportunity like it has done with Josh Mahoney in backing one of their own in through this succession plan.

I also am lead to believe that the backline rate Rawlings pretty highly, so you would think in terms of peace of mind a succession plan from Roos to Rawlings (hoepfully after 3 seasons) would put his (Frawley's) and other players minds at ease.

For what it's worth, I feel more confident that Frawley will sign on (and I suspect in the first half of the season) than I was that we would be able to keep Watts last year. I am a little more nervous about Hogan at this point... but it's early days there.

Edited by Oucher
  • Like 2

With negotiation I always ask what the other party wants. Often I am surprised at how little that is. Sometimes what they want is not what I presume. For instance, do they want a short or long contract? Do they want a performance based contract. Do they want a different number, to play midfield/forward. If you don't ask you may be offering something with no value to them but a cost to you.

Open and honest negotiation is vital. ie Don't say we cant afford it if you can. Say the truth, you are not our most valuable player so we can't pay you the most. Ask the player where they think they fit in terms of value to the team, discuss your own valuation. If comparable the payment is fairly obvious. I know this is simplistic but it is where it should start. Chip seems to be like many Melbourne supporters, he is sick of being disappointed. If we lift and look like that will continue he will stay.

How do you rate Frawley? I say he is in our top five/six.

He is our 3rd best back man - behind Garland and Terlich.

I'd rate Frawley between 6-10 as far as our best, but 2-5 for our most important players.

If we encounter monster forwards, Frawley then becomes our most important player.

But, given we now have bolstered our midfield, hopefully we can take some pressure off Frawley down back.

There would be nothing more in the world that would make me happier than hearing Frawley and Roos extending their contracts with the MFC by seasons end.

And by extending, I mean Roos realising that it is he who wants to take us all the way to a premiership.

Succession mcmession. Let me dream..

• Like 6

I'd rate Frawley between 6-10 as far as our best, but 2-5 for our most important players.

If we encounter monster forwards, Frawley then becomes our most important player.

But, given we now have bolstered our midfield, hopefully we can take some pressure off Frawley down back.

Short memory your highness? All Australian 2010. We haven't had many since. Has had injury issues in last few years.

• Like 1

There would be nothing more in the world that would make me happier than hearing Frawley and Roos extending their contracts with the MFC by seasons end.

And by extending, I mean Roos realising that it is he who wants to take us all the way to a premiership.

I wouldn't rule it out with Roos mate, seems like the sorta bloke who wouldn't wanna jump out of a battle half way through, think we will all find that Roos and PJ are around for longer than expected, and this will help as i am sure that the current quality of our coach and CEO would be huge factors that would build towards Frawley signing another deal with us,

Ok, a few things:

1. lol

2. Terlich? Frawley, Garland, Grimes, and McDonald are our best defenders in some order - and that's a scientific fact! Also Dunn is better than Terlich at this stage it pains me to say, christ even Clisby might be shagging that tree (just thought of that expression then).

3. While Frawley can take the Monsters, it is better that McDonald does as he can keep up with them when they run, and Frawley isn't stifled by them when he is so damaging in transition (to use an awfully sterile basketball term). And McDonald can't kick...(cough).

• Like 1

We're all dreaming that, stmj.

I just wish that as a minimum, he is thinking about what role he can take once he does give the reigns over.

Executive Vice President of Operations.

Our John Elway.

Pull the strings without having to place the cones.

He's built for it.

We're all dreaming that, stmj.

I just wish that as a minimum, he is thinking about what role he can take once he does give the reigns over.

Executive Vice President of Operations.

Our John Elway.

Pull the strings without having to place the cones.

He's built for it.

Did Patrick Keane tweet you back?

It would be good if Roos stays for a 3rd year. I hope he enjoys his first 2 seasons. Does anyone think our next coach will be someone thats already there and it will be a handover like Roos/Longmire. Im not sure what Brett Allison is like as a coach but maybe he will take over and at least if its already someone there then the players already will feel comfortable around him and that should sway Chip to stay. If Rawlings is the right man then thats fine to.

Hopefully PJ can convince Roos to stay for a 3rd year.

Ok, a few things:

1. lol

2. Terlich? Frawley, Garland, Grimes, and McDonald are our best defenders in some order - and that's a scientific fact! Also Dunn is better than Terlich at this stage it pains me to say, christ even Clisby might be shagging that tree (just thought of that expression then).

3. While Frawley can take the Monsters, it is better that McDonald does as he can keep up with them when they run, and Frawley isn't stifled by them when he is so damaging in transition (to use an awfully sterile basketball term). And McDonald can't kick...(cough).

Actually it is not fact at all..

In this order, our best and fairest in 2013 was... Jones, Garland, Terlich.

Football is a results driven business..

If you are going to spew facts, in order to make yourself sound superior - at least spew our correct facts.

If you are going to spew facts, in order to make yourself sound superior - at least spew our correct facts.

Terlich was third in the best and fairest of a side that would have lost to strong VFL sides, Chip consistantly beats guys like jack rewoldt and travis cloke, they are very different players and Terlich is far more easily replaced, not saying he is at all a bad player but Chip is a quality key position player and a full back at that,

Full back at the MFC in recent years would be the second worst job going, second only to head coach.

Being a volunteer helps occasionally, was standing next to Peter Jackson whilst Chip was doing the presser, as Chip finished he came over to Peter Jackson and said with a laugh paraphrasing "that should be worth another 300"....Jackson laughed back and said "No".......I don't think there is problem.......I asked Chip how many times a day he gets asked about the contract, he said at least once a day...........said he is really enjoying the 'new' Club but just wants to see what eventuates, too many false dawns

Is that you, Dr Who?

Terlich was third in the best and fairest of a side that would have lost to strong VFL sides, Chip consistantly beats guys like jack rewoldt and travis cloke, they are very different players and Terlich is far more easily replaced, not saying he is at all a bad player but Chip is a quality key position player and a full back at that,

Full back at the MFC in recent years would be the second worst job going, second only to head coach.

That is why I said he is arguably our most important player.

He certainly isn't our best player, he is a shocking kick and he tries to do far too much.

Did Patrick Keane tweet you back?

Ah, a follower - we appreciate your interest.

And, no, he hasn't.

But he is usually pretty good at getting back to people...

I would have assumed a sports 'journalist' would have asked this 'question' but I haven't been able to find it in print.

Cmon mate, lets not get silly.

The back men your comparing are very different.

Terlich can't take the players that chip can - in fact there are not many defenders that can match clokes, riewoldts etc like chip can

Chip is a more valuable player because of this.

Ok, you thought I was being serious? About it being a scientific fact? Jeez... Don't watch Anchorman...

And I know what the B+F results are - I also know that Frawley is better than Terlich.

Who doesn't know that?

And only you can make yourself feel inferior.

Cmon mate, lets not get silly.

The back men your comparing are very different.

Terlich can't take the players that chip can - in fact there are not many defenders that can match clokes, riewoldts etc like chip can

Chip is a more valuable player because of this.

Yes, I agree, he is arguably our most important player.

Hilarious. Not convinced Terlich's even in our best 22. Frawley, however, is one of the best defenders in the country.

I reckon he'll recommit to the club too. It doesn't strike me that he actually wants to leave. He's a leader and he has too many mates in the joint. He just needs some legitimate hope and some signs of stability. Kinda like the rest of us really.

Yes, I agree, he is arguably our most important player.

lol you guys arguing over nothing.

By the sounds of the interview with JF, he wants to stay.

lets hope we can continue with the progress and sign a good apprentice coach.