Melbourne Turns to Meditation under Roos

Bonkers

Nothing new. Our supporters have been into mediation for the past seven years trying to get reality out of their minds and developing inner spirituality and an understanding of the good that comes from being humiliated on a weekly basis throughout the winter months.

Is that a new brand of single malt WJ?

I have been giving it my best shot however I don't think Dan Murphy's sell that brand

If I hear of any MFC player sitting in the ocean at midnight under a full moon, communicating with the universe with the help of dolphins, then I will know that Mrs. Roos may have taken it all a bit too far.

If we start chanting our club song and the Gyoto Buddhist Monks become our major sponsor then I will know that Mrs. Roos may have taken it all a bit too far.

I am in favour of anything that leads to our players enjoying what they do. The fear that crippled them under Neeld must be done away with. For the last couple of years I have watched a talented group of young men unable to take a risk or trust their instincts because they were terrorised. This is another part of setting them free. The reason they have been selected to represent our club is because they have repeatedly demonstrated that they know what to do on a footy field. When they run out in Round 1 next year all of this will hopefully mean that they delight in the experience rather than fear failure.

I am in favour of anything that leads to our players enjoying what they do. The fear that crippled them under Neeld must be done away with. For the last couple of years I have watched a talented group of young men unable to take a risk or trust their instincts because they were terrorised. This is another part of setting them free. The reason they have been selected to represent our club is because they have repeatedly demonstrated that they know what to do on a footy field. When they run out in Round 1 next year all of this will hopefully mean that they delight in the experience rather than fear failure.

Like this so much because it's so true ! They are now so freed. They are in a regime that respects them and they respect the coaching group. The players now understand what a group of bullies they were dealing with and now they actually have decent people who recognise they are a team.

..... Blah blah blah... Sheehan... Roos talking... Watts two way running and vomit... Blah blah blah...

Wow!!! So negative and so early!

If the last few years have taught us anything it is to find maximum enjoyment in speculation as reality has been cruel.

That said all indications are that knowledgeable purposeful action has been taken.

Cheer up!

Do other Demonlanders remember Rudi Webster's "think tank" under Barass in the early 80's?

It didn't seem very effective then, but I presume times have changed.

I remember supporters yelling derisively at poorly performing players...,"lock him in the think tank!!!"

Yes...Altered States!! :)

Do other Demonlanders remember Rudi Webster's "think tank" under Barass in the early 80's?

I remember supporters yelling derisively at poorly performing players...,"lock him in the think tank!!!"

What people forget is that what Barassi set up Northey implemented. The joy of 77 did not come from nowhere.

Meditation has nothing to do with the stuff Rudi was peddling.

excellent

meditation is hugely beneficial to health welfare & focus. & plain old composure, relief from stress & pressures.

fantastic, when going thru a loved ones ill health, or after the loss of. whenever under great stress. should be a daily activity.

I'm not a regular user, but would like to be in that environment more often.

shaking off the 'inner peripheral negative chatter' allows you to be more focused for day to day activities & challenges. some people are not aware of their inner distractions, & just keep ploughing thru with their wheels out of alignment, crashing up against everything as they bounce along.

Right on the money here 'dee-luded', in total agreement.

The thing is that there is an approach that recognises that AFL footballers are human beings and not machines. Roos is not some magician, he just adjusts his approach to respect that we are as individuals, what we bring. Pretty easy if you are a teacher. Stock in trade. No magic here. Acknowledge and respect ability and provide focus.

Hell I dont know where to begin b/c the two things I love in life are the MFC and meditation.

Everyone mentions relaxation benefits, but the field of meditation and its theory or 'mind culture' has far reaching benefits.

If you're relating meditation to playing footy, than you might say its about putting mediation into action, promoting a natural 'flow'. The Tao is one tradition that often speaks of meditation in action, where intuition takes over and you do the right thing at the right time. I confess that I used to like the mystique of meditation because of those old samurai and martial arts movies, where the hero goes from inner equanimity to seriously wooping ass in a flash, then back to tranquility.

This Tao or flow is called something else in sport - its called being in the 'zone'. Apparently there is heaps of awesome literature out there of sports stars recounting their experience in the zone. Ironically my favourite account was a newspaper article from James Hird. He said, some days he would just know where the balls was going before it went there, that he could go into a pack and get the ball at will.... etc. Id love to track down the article - I think it was The Age - anyone help?

Anyway, meditation naturally cultivates that intuitive flow, It may not seem easy ... but thats b/c its very subtle, the benefits creep in.

On a less mystic and more pragmatic level, meditation cultivates good mental psychology.

I recall a comment from Olympic gold medalist Debbie Flintoff-King - "I always have this thing in my head feeding me negative ideas, I had to keep clearing my head, saying : Rubbish, I dont want to listen to that. That little voice can either make you or destroy you... thats were my meditation really helped..."

The mental chatter is sooo fundamental. You can see it most obviously in those players we call 'confidence players', but everyones a confidence player when you get down to it.

I agree and say again that these young men we draft instinctively know how to succeed at this game. It is a matter of demolishing oppressive self expectation and giving them the joy of their ability. The coach does not create the missile, he caresses it, gives it self belief and then launches it at the target. If it does not strike and the talent is there, then more encouragement is required, not condemnation and embarrassment. These people are only chosen because they can do the job at the level below AFL. If the step up is too great then so be it but fear is no revealer of talent.

Your opinion must be respected in this matter Biffen.

I believe the girls that work for you spend considerable time meditating on where most of their pay goes.

I understand you 'invest ' it on their behalf.

They need not worry about such earthly matters.

their focus must be on the work itself.

If we start chanting our club song and the Gyoto Buddhist Monks become our major sponsor then I will know that Mrs. Roos may have taken it all a bit too far.

For clarification about the laughing dolphin video and the thread topic, I'm not mocking meditation - believe it will be beneficial, just enjoying the communicating with dolphins comment.

So long and thanks for all the fish!

Wow!!! So negative and so early!

If the last few years have taught us anything it is to find maximum enjoyment in speculation as reality has been cruel.

That said all indications are that knowledgeable purposeful action has been taken.

Cheer up!

Negative? Pppfffttt obba that was not negative, that was my review of the topic. On further review maybe the word meditation should have started the review. Ps it's Christmas tree day how could one not be cheerful!

I agree and say again that these young men we draft instinctively know how to succeed at this game. It is a matter of demolishing oppressive self expectation and giving them the joy of their ability. The coach does not create the missile, he caresses it, gives it self belief and then launches it at the target. If it does not strike and the talent is there, then more encouragement is required, not condemnation and embarrassment. These people are only chosen because they can do the job at the level below AFL. If the step up is too great then so be it but fear is no revealer of talent.

Whether it will be meditation per se that helps, or Mr Roos' positive encouragement and guidance, getting the mind right goes a long way towards success.

After all, every individual who is drafted (well, some could argue almost all anyway) has talent and has demonstrated in his own competitition that he is amongst the best.

The coach's principal job is to harness that talent, get the best out of each and every player, and I would argue all the more so the last half dozen or so selected each week, and meld them into a team that trusts their teammates to do what is needed when it is needed every time.

If the player goes out to play full of negative thoughts every week, worrying either that his teammate will not put in when needed, or that he will incur the coach's wrath at every error (and all players make errors) then he cannot and will not perform at his best.

IF meditation helps the players understand that they and the coach are on the same page surely that can only help.

Good on him for offering that. Self confidence is essential - Roos realises that, Neeld did not.