Grant Thomas twitter attack on Paul Roos???

Vipercrunch

During a conversation on SEN this morning about the twitter rant from James Hird's PR man against Paul Little, Andy Maher quickly mentioned that Grant Thomas had a decent whack at Paul Roos.

Anyone able to shed some light on what was said for those not using Twitter?

During a conversation on SEN this morning about the twitter rant from James Hird's PR man against Paul Little, Andy Maher quickly mentioned that Grant Thomas had a decent whack at Paul Roos.

Anyone able to shed some light on what was said for those not using Twitter?

Said Roos is the right man for the job, but is sick of him telling everyone what a great coach he is.

Went on to say, 'they were so bad they needed me, it shocked me into coaching them, they are so fortunate to have such a humble man for 1.5 mil a year'.

I hated Roosy until he coached us with all his speak, now I live for it.

Grant Thomas is a washed up sackee, who needs to keep himself relevant. But if it makes him feel better, I'll leave him be.

• Like 1

Said Roos is the right man for the job, but is sick of him telling everyone what a great coach he is.

Went on to say, 'they were so bad they needed me, it shocked me into coaching them, they are so fortunate to have such a humble man for 1.5 mil a year'.

I hated Roosy until he coached us with all his speak, now I live for it.

Grant Thomas is a washed up sackee, who needs to keep himself relevant. But if it makes him feel better, I'll leave him be.

Nah, the game needs people like Grant Thomas. The Lyon, Hutchie, Wilson show is much poorer for his absence.

He had a few little digs but did say this.

"Make no mistake he is the right appointment after previous 2 debacles and will be super for their future"

• Like 7

Thanks for the summary Arrow.

Everything Grant Thomas says is unique in the AFL world because he basically says whatever he feels like as he cares little what others think of him (most other media have plenty of conflicts of interest etc) but he also seems to be still nursing a damaged ego and it comes out in some of his comments.

• Like 3

I can see his point a bit.

I don't think that Roosy means for it to come out that way but I could see how some could. However, whatever Thommo might think, he does have the record to back his talk up.

I just hope this doesn't explode in his face, Terry Wallace style.

EDIT: Just read the other bit about Thommo saying that he is absolutely the right appointment and it's clear that he doesn't doubt PR's coaching ability.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

here's a few bits...seems to not like Paul Roos

They were sooo bad they needed me. It shocked me into coaching them. We r so fortunate 2 have a humble man Roosy take job for $1.5M a yr

I'm a former teammate and coaching adversary so I get your drift. Roosy adores Roosy & generally Roosy comes 1,2 &3.

He is absolute right choice but.....that bloke in the mirror needs to have a word 2 him rather than telling him he's awesome

Roosy beautifully playing media on break. It's an orchestra. Detailing the depths of depravity and sick state Demons were in. Our Saviour

[ name=rjay" post="878551" timestamp="1391990382]

Nah, the game needs people like Grant Thomas. The Lyon, Hutchie, Wilson show is much poorer for his absence.

He had a few little digs but did say this.

"Make no mistake he is the right appointment after previous 2 debacles and will be super for their future"

Edited by Arrow

In some ways Roos is setting himself up as the saviour. The club avoided that with the 2 year deal etc but all the comments about the fragile mental state etc and how he wants to fix it contradict that.

BUT it makes it harder for him to walk out with the job half done. He saw the problem, decided to get involved to Fox it. And if he walks out after 2015 without fixing it, it's his reputation on the line.

In some ways Roos is setting himself up as the saviour. The club avoided that with the 2 year deal etc but all the comments about the fragile mental state etc and how he wants to fix it contradict that.

BUT it makes it harder for him to walk out with the job half done. He saw the problem, decided to get involved to Fox it. And if he walks out after 2015 without fixing it, it's his reputation on the line.

We will be back to respectable by then and he will want to go on and make us a threat over the 2016-18 period.

Edited by old dee

What Grant is trying to say is that he also saw $1.5 million and that it's hypocritical to say that they were so bad and needed me/I'm their savour when he is the same pay bracket as Clarkson.

If you want a good coach, you have to pay good money. What I took from it was that Grant thinks he is the right man for the job and forecasting a bright future.

The criticism of Roos extolling how damaged our psyche is and how bad we are is criticism Roos' statements of the obvious.

He can't describe what he sees because he is the one charged with fixing it?

How is that a good argument?

• Like 1

You can hardly expect Roos to say that we just need a bit of tinkering and we'll win the flag so what I do doesn't matter much, anyone could do it.. He has to be, and has been, realistic. To then criticise him for having a 'saviour' complex is absurd. Would we want someone to take the job who didn't think he could improve things? It's not as if he has said 'MFC is a disaster but I'll win the flag for them before I go'.

I seem to recall Grant Thomas poisoning our last coach's chalice before a ball was ever kicked. I'm not surprised to hear he's doing it again.

was hoping nobody would bring that up

I don't see Roos as unfairly painting himself as our savour, just stating the facts of our situation.

If he does succeed in fixing the culture of the club, he will have been our saviour.

Along with others such as PJ, who he openly acknowledges as playing an integral part.

It's not as if Roos is selling us some sort of mirage.

What he's trying to do, and what we want him to do, will make him the saviour of he achieves it.

I dearly hope he does.

Edited by Machsy

Roos is very confident and self assured and if he was wrong more often then he'd come across as arrogant. It's hardly a surprise that a fringe player on a rubbish Fitzroy team would see the golden child of the club as a bit self righteous. Especially when that same person knocks your team out of a grand final when you are coaching. And yes Roos is getting near on ridiculous financial compensation but he is also putting his record on the line so he'll either do a good job and enhance that record or he will fail and he'll look arrogant and stain his record.

To be honest I think Grant Thomas' failure to get ultimate success and outspoken behaviour is a bit of a shame because I think a few of the things he did probably worked really well and could've been spread through the AFL industry. He developed an outstanding young team and took them to two prelim finals. He developed elite players, his player leadership with rotating young captains actually worked pretty well. The young saints in 2004 who won 10 straight games were a great team on the rise. A lot of that gets lost now with GT.

• Like 1

I can see his point a bit.

I don't think that Roosy means for it to come out that way but I could see how some could. However, whatever Thommo might think, he does have the record to back his talk up.

I just hope this doesn't explode in his face, Terry Wallace style.

EDIT: Just read the other bit about Thommo saying that he is absolutely the right appointment and it's clear that he doesn't doubt PR's coaching ability.

True but IMO grant is trying to send a message to Roosy, to help.

whilst we're lapping it up now, it could wear thin.

I don't see Roos as unfairly painting himself as our savour, just stating the facts of our situation.

If he does succeed in fixing the culture of the club, he will have been our saviour.

Along with others such as PJ, who he openly acknowledges as playing an integral part.

It's not as if Roos is selling us some sort of mirage.

What he's trying to do, and what we want him to do, will make him the saviour of he achieves it.

I dearly hope he does.

Yep its perspective, but I think GT is concerned Roos may cop some fallout fairly soon, if he continues it. I don't think Roosy is thinking about what he said from the negative perspective.

Good he's honest, but not IMO a bighead. just confident in what he's doing. a fineline to tread for the faint of heart.

He's just being grateful to Melbourne which helped get him the coaching job at St. Kilda after humiliating Malcolm Blight one night at Etihad.

we also assisted in having him removed as coach in 2006 after the final!

Ironically the same fate happened to Stan Alves after the Semi Final in 1998. We won. Stan was sacked.

Gotta love playing the Aints.