• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Riley's LTI list replacement?

CBDees

With Adrian Riley being placed today on the long-term injury list, which rookie do we promote in his absence?  

153 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Being demoted to the rookie list is a good indication it's pretty much closed. Really I think he's just too short and slow for AFL unless he has some extra top attributes. I understand moving him to the backline to make use of his tackling and trying get him more ball but I don't know how you get a game as a small defender if you don't have some size or speed.

its a bit of a last ditched each way bet looking into the happy mirror whilst hoping.

He might surprise, he might engender himself to some he may give a a giddy up to some and all the whiles hes half way out the door.

none of this is meant as a slight upon him as a bloke just an observation as to where he is in the big bad AFL world

Harmes for me. He is training really well and seems able to match it in everything except fitness. His skills and balance look AFL ready. The other three are position insurance.

some bloke from Tassie called Russell Robertson was drafted, demoted to the rookie list and ended up with a decent career, so its by no means a certain death knell for a players career, but it is one step closer to football purgatory...

Having said that I dont see Nev improving the necessary levels to justify promotion.
I say we give all our rookies 2 out of the 3 games in the pre-season, see how they each perform at the relatively higher level, and based on the player that shines

who fits our needs gets the nod...

some bloke from Tassie called Russell Robertson was drafted, demoted to the rookie list and ended up with a decent career, so its by no means a certain death knell for a players career, but it is one step closer to football purgatory...

Having said that I dont see Nev improving the necessary levels to justify promotion.

I say we give all our rookies 2 out of the 3 games in the pre-season, see how they each perform at the relatively higher level, and based on the player that shines

who fits our needs gets the nod...

That was after Robbo's first year though right? When he then got fit and within 6 years might have even won a B+F? If Jetta makes it back on the senior list it will be Lazarus like. 4th round rookie talents don't make it very often so I'm not unhappy that we kept Jetta, one thing he can do is support Dom Barry and JKH and maybe that additional leadership that comes with being the most experienced Indigenous player might actually help his own game.

As a first time that I have set up a poll it has been interesting watching the results to date. Georgiou bolted out of the blocks early to a massive lead then he has slowly been wound back by the Jetta fans [coming out of the closet?] and now some money is emerging on Harmes. Personally, I backed Georgiou as he seems ready to play but I suspect Harmes long-term is going to work out well for us. Certainly reading the training reports, there seems to be a few that hold that view. In any event, all will be revealed at the conclusion of the NAB when we have a chance to look at them all.

I watched Georgiou at training on Australia Da and I have to say I was surprised. He showed a fair bit talking iot up and running hard. I cant say I noticed Jetta except once where he did stood out for jogging out of defence when gut running was the order of the day. My pick would be Georgiou. I like Jetta as a player but for a bloke playing for his career he just looked lack lustre.

My pick is Georgiou.

I wouldn't be surprised if he plays 10-15 games this year as depth in defence.

I would BBP

he is on the rookie list and as yet has not been up graded.

IMO if he plays 10 -15 games it means we have had big injury problems or a number of guys on the main list are definitely VFL standard.

• Like 3

Georgiou is the sort of guy Roos will like, studied and worked full time whilst playing. Level headed keen to do well.

Whilst I'd love to see Jetta suddenly make it I suspect he wont.

The best bit is we might be starting to develop competition for spots in the side which can only be a good thing.

Harmes has looked very comfortable at the level when I've been to training. However he is young and we can keep him rookied for 2 years.

But I reckon Georgiou should be given first crack at it. We should be able to work out whether this guy deserves a senior spot within 12 months.

• Like 1

How about we don't promote any.....

There are 20 players outside the game day team who should be next in line to be selected. 3 months ago we selected some of those players ahead of the rookies, because we thought they were better options.

What has changed?

Riley would have been put on the LTI, because you have to stay there for 8 weeks. There is no point doing it 1 week out from the season start, or you shoot yourself in the foot, if he is fit to play in say round 3.

And why would you elevate say a backman like Georgiou, or a small forward like Jetta, if a ruckman is needed in the event of injuries to our ruck group?

At this point in the season doing nothing is the best option.

Edited by george_on_the_outer

All points to Georgiou for me.

Mature age player with plenty of experience down back, and good insurance for Garlo.

Harmes may surprise though, if he has an outstanding NAB series.

I really don't understand where all this talk of Jetta being slow comes from. Granted, he is not as quick as his cousin but one look at his work on Dahlhaus last year should show he is not slow

• Like 2

I would BBP

he is on the rookie list and as yet has not been up graded.

IMO if he plays 10 -15 games it means we have had big injury problems or a number of guys on the main list are definitely VFL standard.

This is the MFC we are talking about. We are in the business of injuries.

I expect him and Pederson to be CHB and FB at times next year.

I could be wrong but didn't Pedo play about 12 games in defence and I'd certainly consider him depth in defence.

He certainly did play mostly in defence last year and played some very good games at Casey but when I suggested he might be the stand in for Garlo if he missed some early games I was informed he's been training up forward during the pre season. Hence, he'll probably front the Tigers next Friday night at CHF or FF.

Jetta hasn't been rookied just to see out the time and then go. They wouldn't have rookied him if they didn't want to use him. He was "rookied with intent".

Jetta's big problem has been that he's rarely been able to put together enough consecutive games without getting injured. He gets better when he can string games together, it just hasn't been often enough.

He's therefore in the same boat as Strauss, Blease & Tapscott. All four of them have shown promise (but no more) at times, after a number of years on the list. They have all lost great slabs of games due to LT injuries (plural). They all went backwards in the toxic environment under Neeld, and when they have played, they have invariably been under great pressure in a team that's been thrashed. But if they're unable to lift their output and impress the coach, they're all on their last chance this season, and if any of them do happen to get injured and lose many games again, it will be just too bad.

I like the look of Georgiou, if he comes off he could be a very valuable contributor. But I think they'll want to see how he measures up against the best forwards in the VFL for several games first, with a view to the mid-season upgrade if he does well.

So I think Jetta will be upgraded.

I think Jetta finished the season off on a good note against the Dogs, didn't get much of the ball but it definitely stood out as a guy giving his all for the team. I'd be happy to elevate him since there's still too many in front of Georgiou in defence. I've liked the look of Georgiou in training although the question mark will definitely be his kicking

Although Georgiou put his hand up in yesterday's match simulation, the indications coming from Paul Roos about going easy early on younger and untried players suggests that Jetta should be the frontrunner but it will ultimately depend on our needs at the particular time.

Although Georgiou put his hand up in yesterday's match simulation, the indications coming from Paul Roos about going easy early on younger and untried players suggests that Jetta should be the frontrunner but it will ultimately depend on our needs at the particular time.

I agree with your rationale with regards to King and Harmes but Georgiou is not the youngster you imply. He's 23 and only a year younger than Jetta.

• Like 2

I agree with your rationale with regards to King and Harmes but Georgiou is not the youngster you imply. He's 23 and only a year younger than Jetta.

Agree. And whilst he hasn't had the AFL experience he has had a more consistent run of state league footy than Jetta I'd say who's VFL and AFL form have both been up and down, affected by injury and by changing positions.

Georgiou is no newbie kid. Hes an experienced grandfinalist in a premium competition.