NAB Challenge 1 - Richmond v Melbourne

Bedraggled Dee

Just had a listen to Rawlings on the Demons site. From that I would be very surprised if we did not play the best available to push as a far into the preseason comp as possble.

All clubs play the same amount of games.

Just had a listen to Rawlings on the Demons site. From that I would be very surprised if we did not play the best available to push as a far into the preseason comp as possble.

You do realise that every team plays two NAB Challenge games and then has two practice games?

There is nothing to push into.

• Like 1

They all were and he was one of the best. If Roos rewards performance McKenzie will play.

As I am sure you are aware BB we really find out if anything has changed on March 22nd.

We have had a large number of NGE players over the last few years time will tell if any of them are really AFL standard.

I am not expecting mountains being climbed in this Friday's game (although, I will be watching closely from my holiday at Byron Bay with my yobo Richmond mate).

The big things I am interested in:

• Can we solidify and ride out those moments in games when things don't go our way?
  • If we play a more free flowing game, how quick can we transition back (in number) to defend when we turn it over?
  • Will the new structures hold up in these situations? and more importantly.......
  • Will the players forget about their frail past and do what Roosy asks? ...... the non-negotiables, sacrifice the individualism for the greater good of the team.
  • Will we play on instinct again?.......... and attack, attack, attack !

Results aside, if we see this happening (more often than not), then we are seeing that the players have already adopted the Roos philosophy quicker than what most would have anticipated and it should lead to some success sooner.

Based on what I've read and the minimal amount of training I see, I hope we have a line up something like the following;

B: Terlich, Frawley, Dunn

HB: Grimes, McDonald, Cross

C: Trengove, N.Jones, Watts

HF: Tyson, Fitzpatrick, Toumpas

F: JKH, Hogan, Howe

R: Spencer, Vince, McKenzie

I: Michie, Strauss, Blease, M.Jones, Salem, Georgiou (Dawes can replace one if available)

S: Clisby - Kent - Evans - Pederson (don't care which 2)

Edited by Port Demons

My point is that with 7 of the 22 seemingly undecided or 'up for grabs' there might be a desire to give those in contention (16 by my count) for those positions more time to prove themselves in the NAB Cup.

It's the sad reality of it. Still consolidating best 22 spots during praccie games..

Looking forward to the day when we can use the games for tweaking game style and looking at blooding youngsters that have been on the list for a couple of years and are desperate to get a gig.. What a time that will be.

Baby steps for now.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

I am not expecting mountains being climbed in this Friday's game (although, I will be watching closely from my holiday at Byron Bay with my yobo Richmond mate).

The big things I am interested in:

• Can we solidify and ride out those moments in games when things don't go our way?
  • If we play a more free flowing game, how quick can we transition back (in number) to defend when we turn it over?
  • Will the new structures hold up in these situations? and more importantly.......
  • Will the players forget about their frail past and do what Roosy asks? ...... the non-negotiables, sacrifice the individualism for the greater good of the team.
  • Will we play on instinct again?.......... and attack, attack, attack !

I'm expecting a bit of a Yes for the first point. Enough hard workers to at least stall momentum and not get blasted by 8 or 10 goal quarters too often. I also think midfield running should be much improved so a yes to this. But probably a no to the third one. No team can really stop the opposition once they've given up a bad turnover. Again I expect to see good tackling, chasing and one percenters. But no to the last point. If we get the ball forward of centre or in space I think we will attack and around the packs I expect to see much greater ball handling and movement from stoppages, but when put back in our own back 50 I don't think there will be fluent attacking play. Holding on to the ball, sharing it around and getting to the right positions will probably be the start. That's what I saw from the intra club.

Hard to pick a team, but I think we line up

Strauss Frawley Dunn

Grimes McDonald Terlich

Watts N Jones Cross

Toumpas Pederson Howe

Fitzpatrick Hogan Kent

Spencer Tyson Vince

Michie, Byrnes, Blease, Trengove, M Jones, Mckenzie

Sub Jamar, Jetta

That moment when you realised ages ago that it is on Valentines Day and you had a chance in the first place...

Luckily enough for me the wife is mad Richmond. Dinner booked somewhere in the Docklands then a short stroll to watch the game. Couldn't have worked out much better.

Ps, just read that Hogan isn't playing...

• Like 1

Luckily enough for me the wife is mad Richmond. Dinner booked somewhere in the Docklands then a short stroll to watch the game. Couldn't have worked out much better.

Ps, just read that Hogan isn't playing...

Where (ie that hoges isn't playing)?

"I would be very surprised if we did not play the best available to push as a far into the preseason comp as possble."

It isn't a comp as such, rather it is some sort of "Carnival":

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/carnival

My guess is that it falls into the travelling amusement show category.

From the HUN:

MELBOURNE
NAB CHALLENGE SCHEDULE:
Friday, February 14 v Richmond at Etihad Stadium, 7.10PM (EDT)
Friday, February 28 v Geelong at TIO Traeger Park (Alice Springs), 5.40PM (CST)
PRACTICE MATCH
Sunday, March 8 v Hawthorn at Casey Fields, 1pm (EST)
KEY INJURIES
Mitch Clark (soft tissue): Likely to feature in the first month of the season
Colin Garland (ankle): Should be right for Round 1
Aidan Riley (ankle): Has been placed on long-term injury list and should be fit come Round 3
NEW FACES
The Dees bolstered their midfield stocks in the draft, trade and free-agency periods. Experienced heads Bernie Vince and Daniel Cross will slot straight in, while youngsters Dom Tyson, Viv Michie and Jay Kennedy-Harris are likely to see senior action throughout the season. Paul Roos has stated he won’t rush the young players, so expect the slight of body Salem to cut his teeth at VFL level.
ROOS ‘APPALLED’ BY WATTS’ DEBUT
ON THE CUSP
Jimmy Toumpas is flying. After a difficult initiation to AFL football, the No.4 draft pick has tackled his second AFL pre-season like a man possessed and his increased strength and endurance was on show with four goals in the intra-club match. It’s a make or break year for a number of Dees with James Strauss, Sam Blease, Luke Tapscott and Rohan Bail all desperate to prove their worth at AFL level.
SUPERCOACH WATCHLIST
Jesse Hogan ($217,300 fwd)
Mitch Clark ($249,200 fwd)
Jack Viney ($387,400 mid)
ADAM BALDWIN’S FORECAST:
Melbourne is desperate to get that winning feeling back and will attack the NAB Challenge series with vigour. Roos is not promising early wins, but he has assured Dees fans their team will play an identifiable brand of football, something missing in the red and blue for many years. Three tough practice match opponents is the ideal preparation for Round 1 against St Kilda.
Edited by binman

That moment when you realised ages ago that it is on Valentines Day and you never had a chance in the first place...

Having my first born turn up on Valentines day last year hopefully means I will never have to worry about valentines day crap again :-) just organise a little man birthday party every year - so much better - bring on the footy

• Like 1

"I would be very surprised if we did not play the best available to push as a far into the preseason comp as possble."

It isn't a comp as such, rather it is some sort of "Carnival":

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/carnival

My guess is that it falls into the travelling amusement show category.

It is not a carnival at all. It has been named the NAB (Cup) Challenge

Paul Roos says Jesse Hogan won't play in the Dees first NAB Challenge match on Friday night.

Then let us hope that Dawes plays!

That moment when you realised ages ago that it is on Valentines Day and you never had a chance in the first place...

Maybe deeko could woo her at the footy with a luke warm pie and a light beer in a plastic cup?

I don't have Foxtel. Is it live on the AFL subscribers app?

• Like 1