• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

NAB Challenge 1 - Richmond v Melbourne

Bedraggled Dee

Looking at that list of mids Deez and can't help but think that no captaincy and a few decent midfielders (Cross, Vince, Tyson + improving Michie, Viney, Toump, Evans etc.) could make a lot of difference to the way Trengove goes about his footy.

He can stop thinking - what would a captain do - and he no longer has a huge pressure to perform (due to previously crap midfield). He can now go back to playing his natural/instinctive football.

Roos will also try and maximise the use of each players strengths - he does have a good fitness base, is a good kick when he doesn't have his lead boots on and he is a good tackler (really just needs to improve that acceleration of his.)

I am hoping that the lack of speed/performance last year was partly due to the lack of a preseason.

spot on, theres lots of guys that will benefit from the experience thats been added.

I say play our strongest side. Like many have said before me we need the building blocks to be put in place as early as possible and to get a win over an up and coming side in Richmond would be an extra boost in confidence. I say aim for a win, we shouldn't get the privilege of allowing this period to just try new things. I am way to excited about this game, dying for the footy to start again!!!

• Like 3

In Neeld's second NAB engagement we beat Collingwood.

The NAB are unglorified practice matches. What you read into them is frought.

Collingwood was not far from their seconds team that night.

Under Neeld we won two practice matches the rest were comprehensive losses.

Guess what all but about eight out of 44 season games were comprehensive losses.

So I am not sure I agree with you totally rpfc.

in 2012- 3 we were poor in practice games and main season games.

There is a pattern there as far as I can see.

IMO better form in our practice matches will be a good sign for me in 2014.

• Like 1

Collingwood was not far from their seconds team that night.

Under Neeld we won two practice matches the rest were comprehensive losses.

Guess what all but about eight out of 44 season games were comprehensive losses.

So I am not sure I agree with you totally rpfc.

in 2012- 3 we were poor in practice games and main season games.

There is a pattern there as far as I can see.

IMO better form in our practice matches will be a good sign for me in 2014.

I will be looking for something resembling a football team in these matches. We haven't seen that in quite a while.

I say go for the win and play every player not in rehab.

Having said that, if none of Clark, Dawes, Hogan or Fitzpatrick play, we won't kick a score.

Fitzpatrick.....? Sure he had a decent crack last year, wasn't outstanding. He is not a key forward yet.

Based on the intraclub the team I'd go for would be:

FB: Dunn Frawley Terlich

HB: Grimes McDonald Strauss

C: Watts Jones Vince

HF: Toumpas Hogan Salem

FF: JKH Pedersen Howe
Foll: Spencer Tyson Cross

Int: Michie, Matt Jones, Trengove, McKenzie, Blease, Jamar

S: Fitzpatrick, Kent

Unlucky: Clisby, Georgiou, Byrnes, Gawn, Evans, Bail

The rest: Barry, Nicholson, Hunt, Harmes, Jetta, King

Rested/Injured: Dawes, Viney, Clark, Riley, Garland, Tapscott

So I've picked who I thought was the best 22 based on the intraclub plus added Watts and Trengove who have been in full training and hopefully are right to go. Judging by the standard of running they were doing plus that they started training in the main group it's not unreasonable that Viney and Dawes would be available but I'm leaning towards them not being.

The most interesting thing might just be whether Roos picks Salem and/or JKH.

• Like 2

Based on the intraclub the team I'd go for would be:

FF: JKH Pedersen Howe

S: Fitzpatrick, Kent

Unlucky: Clisby, Georgiou, Byrnes, Gawn, Evans, Bail

The rest: Barry, Nicholson, Hunt, Harmes, Jetta, King

Rested/Injured: Dawes, Viney, Clark, Riley, Garland, Tapscott

So I've picked who I thought was the best 22 based on the intraclub plus added Watts and Trengove who have been in full training and hopefully are right to go. Judging by the standard of running they were doing plus that they started training in the main group it's not unreasonable that Viney and Dawes would be available but I'm leaning towards them not being.

The most interesting thing might just be whether Roos picks Salem and/or JKH.

Not quite sure that i would have the same group 'based on the intraclub' [especially as Watts did not play.

My team for the NAB Cup would be:

FF: JKH Dawes Howe

S: Fitzpatrick/Kent

• Like 1

Nobody's mentioned Terlich at all - not one post. Just curious as to how he gets in.

I'm picking Terlich based on his form last year mainly. In the intraclub he played on more than some defenders, set up a goal, turned it over once, didn't noticed his defensive work either way. He's an attacking flanker and I know that carries risk but Grimes' slower speed of play might not always work. Really I'd like to have Terlich, Strauss and Clisby all in the team to compete for those 1 or 2 spots that might be available come round 1. But at the same time I'm keen to load the squad up with midfielders so they can practice running super hard and linking up with each other.

• Like 1

Pretty happy to read this quote from Rawlings this morning "We're pretty serious about the NAB Challenge, so you'll see a pretty strong side from us next week," Rawlings said.

I don't think we have the luxury of trying things and rotating players through the preseason. This team is being rebuilt from scratch and we need as much time as possible to allow the players to get used to each other and the game plan. The situation is completely different to Roosy's first preseason at the swans and he's too smart not to know that.

For me the scoreboard will be of interest but it won't be the most important measure of our preseason. I'll be hoping there isn't any of those patches that were all too common last year, where the opposition slam on 8 goals in a row as our boys go missing for 15 minutes to a quarter. With us playing 2 top 4 teams and a top 8 team from last year, getting through the preseason without any of those run ons from our opponents would be a serious improvement. So when multiple goals are scored against us i hope to see some sort of ability to shut the game down for a bit to stop them scoring.

I'll also be looking to see some improvement in some key statistical measures. A team who gets so comprehensively towelled up in possession every week can't really hope to be competitive. We were last for average disposals, 40 less than the afl average and 16 less than GWS who were the next worst team. that's something akin to playing 2 players short every week. We need more ball, contested and uncontested so I'll be watching in the hope of seeing an improved ability to win contested ball and keep control of it once we've got it.

The other stat that killed us last year was inside 50's. Equal last in the comp and way off the league average. With our potential (I know I hate that word too) froward line this year we need to get in inside 50 to give those blokes a chance. Given equal opportunity and supply I think our forward line could easily become one of the most potent in the league. The inside 50 differential will be an important thing to keep an eye on during the preseason to measure any improvement.

We were last for centre clearances and need a much improved setup at centre bounces. I expect that to improve with Cross and Tyson coming in to help Nate Jones and take some pressure of Viney. George Stone could also prove to be a great recruit in this regard. I didn't see a lot of footy last year but I read here often that our rucks would tap the ball to their own feet. It's just a guess but I think this is a lack of confidence in their teammates ability to win the ball in the clear. I used to play a bit of ruck and just from personal experience if I thought we were outgunned in the guts I was loathe to tap the ball into space because it would usually fly off towards the oppositions goals.

Anyway I'm pretty optimistic about the season ahead. There is plenty of improvement to be wrung out of this list and for now I've got faith in Roos and his coaching panel to be able to achieve it. Early losses won't bother me too much as long as they're not floggings.

• Like 3

We were last for centre clearances and need a much improved setup at centre bounces. I expect that to improve with Cross and Tyson coming in to help Nate Jones and take some pressure of Viney. George Stone could also prove to be a great recruit in this regard. I didn't see a lot of footy last year but I read here often that our rucks would tap the ball to their own feet. It's just a guess but I think this is a lack of confidence in their teammates ability to win the ball in the clear. I used to play a bit of ruck and just from personal experience if I thought we were outgunned in the guts I was loathe to tap the ball into space because it would usually fly off towards the oppositions goals.

This was a tactic used by Hawthorn during Jeans time and Stone was onboard then. The idea was that you could control the ball in close, block, spread and create options. As you would know it's hard to control the ball from the ruck with a long tap or punch out, if you can drop it to someone with quick hands like Cross or Tyson they can dish out to a runner.

I wouldn't be surprised to see us still do this but to much better effect.

• Like 1

Based on who is currently fit:

FB: Terlich - Frawley - Dunn

HB: Grimes - McDonald - Clisby

C: Toumpas - N.Jones - Watts

HF: Vince - Fitz - JKH

FF: Howe - Hogan - Pederson

R: Spencer - M.Jones - Cross

I: Tyson - Gawn - Strauss - Bail - Tapscott - Michie

S: Dawes - Blease

Rested: Clark, Kent, Viney, Salem, Hunt, Byrnes, Garland, Jamar

• Like 1

Based on who is currently fit:

FB: Terlich - Frawley - Dunn

HB: Grimes - McDonald - Clisby

C: Toumpas - N.Jones - Watts

HF: Vince - Fitz - JKH

FF: Howe - Hogan - Pederson

R: Spencer - M.Jones - Cross

I: Tyson - Gawn - Strauss - Bail - Tapscott - Michie

S: Dawes - Blease

Rested: Clark, Kent, Viney, Salem, Hunt, Byrnes, Garland, Jamar

i imagine that will be pretty close to the starting line up.

Would perhaps swap Blease and JKH. The new kid will still get a run and instruct Blease to run out the whole game, run as hard in defence as in attack and build that engine in match play.

Terlich Frawley Dunn

Grimes McDonald M Jones

Cross Tyson Watts

Toumpas Howe Vince

Kent Pederson JKH

Spencer Trengove Viney

Inter out of N Jones,King, Strauss, Kent, Michie Evans McKenzie Jamar, Salem, Kennedy Harris, Blease Clisby

injured Clark Garland Hogan, Dawes

Matt Jones and Jack Grimes best in last training match

Edited by All the Jacks

It's horses for courses peeps.

I can hear those saying 'Roos never took NAB cup seriously etc', but he is not at Sydney. He's at Melbourne and is acutely aware of the importance a winning feeling brings to a group of players who have zero confidence and can barely remember the club song. That's where we're at..

I'm not saying the goal is to win every praccie game. I understand it's about learning and understanding the game-style he wants and for individuals to show they can play certain roles. But he won't be holding them back. He'll be consolidating a best 22 for round one and with these practice games I'm sure he'd understand the benefits of some wins and good showings. Even if it is against stronger teams who are perhaps tweaking their own side a bit and playing more inexperienced players.

It all helps, and whilst 'winning' the games is not the point, you can't argue that wins won't help our momentum going into round 1. It's the MFC here. Not any other club.

I can hear those saying 'Roos never took NAB cup seriously etc', but he is not at Sydney. He's at Melbourne and is acutely aware of the importance a winning feeling brings to a group of players who have zero confidence and can barely remember the club song. That's where we're at..

I'm not saying the goal is to win every praccie game. I understand it's about learning and understanding the game-style he wants and for individuals to show they can play certain roles. But he won't be holding them back. He'll be consolidating a best 22 for round one and with these practice games I'm sure he'd understand the benefits of some wins and good showings. Even if it is against stronger teams who are perhaps tweaking their own side a bit and playing more inexperienced players.

It all helps, and whilst 'winning' the games is not the point, you can't argue that wins won't help our momentum going into round 1. It's the MFC here. Not any other club.

I reckon that it took big balls to play the long game is Sydney. He would have been under more pressure to gett runs on the board as here. Now I'm not saying that his style will be the same, but I think that his plan will be the one he sticks to regardless of any outside pressure. If that's boosting confidence early then he'll do that, if it's forgetting about anything but shaping the team he'll do that. I don't see him being a stooge to what the media or the fans want if it means him changing what he thinks is right.

Edited by Carrot Top

I agree, he will not treat it the same way he infamously did at Sydney - one can recall the tongue in cheek aside to McVeigh that he 'go forward but don't kick any goals'...

However, more important than winning are the spots up for grabs for that first game against St Kilda:

Frawley, Garland (if fit), McDonald, Grimes, and Dunn will make up 5 of the defenders.

N Jones, Watts, Trengove, Vince, Cross, Tyson, Viney (if fit), and M Jones will make up 8 of the midfield rotation.

Dawes, Hogan, Clark (if fit), and Howe will be the 4 that form the basis of the forward line, and Spencer looks to be the starting first ruck from Roos' recent comment that it is his to lose.

That leaves 4 spots up for grabs and a further 3 most likely for injuries to Viney, Garland and Clark.

Giorgiou, Pedersen and Fitzpatrick are the most likely to lay claim to the spots reserved for Garland and Clark while Byrnes, Kennedy-Harris, Blease, Tapscott and Bail look to be fighting it out for the the small forward role that will also be apart of the midfield rotation.

The last 3+1 (the sub is the +1) spots will include an extra defender, injury cover for Viney, and be fought out between those aforementioned plus Strauss, Terlich, Clisby, Toumpas, Evans, Michie, Salem, and McKenzie.

My point is that with 7 of the 22 seemingly undecided or 'up for grabs' there might be a desire to give those in contention (16 by my count) for those positions more time to prove themselves in the NAB Cup.

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 1

Just had a listen to Rawlings on the Demons site. From that I would be very surprised if we did not play the best available to push as a far into the preseason comp as possble.

Terlich Frawley Dunn

Grimes McDonald M Jones

Cross Tyson Watts

Toumpas Fitzpatrick Vince

Hogan Dawes Howe

Spencer Trengove N.Jones

Clisby Strauss Michie Evans MacKenzie Kennedy-Harris Blease Pederson

I think they will try and go with three talls in the forward line to run the structures they would like with Clark back in the side. I would not be surprised to see Georgiou get a gig in place of Dunn if they want to have a look at him.

The side looks good but I have thought that before. It is good however to have som depth in the side and not have to put in a bunch of draftees and players like Bail and Nicholson and also not wonder how we can cover gaps like Clark and Viney etc.

Lets hope we get through the preseason relatively unscathed.

• Like 1