AFL Officials in Trouble

Redleg

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The tragedy in all of this is we still have no idea what Stephen Dank gave to the players at that time. The players and their well being should always have been at the forefront of the investigation, yet the AFL and Essendon were more focused on how they would look on the other side of the saga rather than what actually went on.

I know the ASADA investigation continues, but even that feels like it will be a joke outcome.

Suggestion fro Greg Venom that the story has been leaked by James Hird in yet another pathetic attempt to tarnish the AFL and Vlad. Sadly fits the suggestion that Hird thinks he is above everybody else and has a vindictive streak. Agree with SRO that Robinson is a Hird lover

I'm still trying to understand the nefariousness of Wylie being involved in what we all thought was a pre-agreed sanction of the club and Hird.

It leaves a bad taste to have the ASC head involved as a quiet go-between (worse if its Essendon's mediator of sorts) but walk me through the malevolence.

The HUN says there is more tomorrow so maybe that will bring something.

The AFL negotiated a settlement with Essendon - wowee big breaking news!!!

They negotiated a settlement with MFC on the tanking allegations as well.

A total nothing story with News Ltd trailing Fairfax by 3 months that Wylie was involved in mediating the negotiations.

What would be news is if the AFL negotiated a final outcome with WADA/ASADA in this matter.

They negotiated a settlement with MFC on the tanking allegations as well.

A total nothing story with News Ltd trailing Fairfax by 3 months that Wylie was involved in mediating the negotiations.

What would be news is if the AFL negotiated a final outcome with WADA/ASADA in this matter.

Absolutely. Total no news item. Most of this was basically known months ago. Nothing revealing here.

real story is who is leaking documents and why

ahhh wondered how long before this was raised..

aye laddy !!:)

Demetriou was speaking in reaction to a Herald Sun report that gave more detail about the complicated negotiations.

"What the public should know is that we were absolutely true to our process, that we said there was no predetermined outcome and that we would hear the matter on the day," Demetriou told 3AW.

"We had absolutely no fear, no hesitation in this matter being taken to court.

"I had no fear about me being taken to court.

"The AFL did not offer, did not authorise, inducements and paid ... study to the best of my knowledge.

"There would have been absolutely no discussion from anyone at the AFL about (being) paid while you're not coaching or being suspended."

Wednesday's newspaper report outlined an August 23 meeting held at the home of Demetriou's deputy Gillon McLachlan that involved Hird and two other senior AFL officials.

There were also more details of the involvement of Australian Sports Commission chairman John Wylie.

When it looked as though Essendon and Hird might take the AFL to court over the charges, Wylie acted as an intermediary.

Apart from banning Hird for 12 months, the AFL also kicked Essendon out of the 2013 finals, fined them $2 million and stripped them of draft picks.

Hird accepted his penalty, but continues to deny he did anything wrong.

Demetriou said he did not know if Hird was being paid by a third party while he was under suspension.

The above is from an an Age article today.

No inducements were offered that AD is aware of. So the benefits to Hird, put forward in todays Sun are false, according to AD or offered by people without his knowledge.

Inducements of course are not just money.Why would Hird accept his suspension without the "inducements"?

Is Hird being paid by a third party? If so for what reason and has that person any connection to the Bombers or the AFL?

If there is no predetermined outcome, how can you demand punishments for wrongdoing?

Interesting questions.

AFL Officials in Trouble

Started by Redleg, Today, 08:02 AM

Should be..........won't be

AD always looks after #1

I dont understand why the media would be asking an employer if some-one "on leave" is being paid by some other entity.

If I took a year off without pay, and 3AW wanted to know from my boss if I was being paid from another party, its not either of their business to know WTF Im up to.

I dont understand why the media would be asking an employer if some-one "on leave" is being paid by some other entity.

If I took a year off without pay, and 3AW wanted to know from my boss if I was being paid from another party, its not either of their business to know WTF Im up to.

The media always assume there are rules just for them.

They don't seem to understand the idea that in a democracy we don't have to answer them.

As long as Vlad makes money for the AFL the people who matter will always love him.

Good governance doesn't matter in the rarified atmosphere which he inhabits.

Doesn't seem to reside anywhere in this case. Sgt Schultz come on down.

My understanding is that the whole thing was negotiated. Weren't there days of negotiations before the announcement with media outside AFL house waiting for breaking news?

I know many here want to see Essendon hung drawn and quartered but I want to see this issue dispensed with and forgotten never to occur again.

In the MFC situation the AFL negotiated a settlement over months, got rid of the appropriate people, found a charge that protected the game and moved on. Most recognize the expediency of the outcome and supported it.

I can't see why Essendon should expect anything other than the same process. Those wanting "justice" should be careful not to look in the mirror.

The Melbourne 'thing' for want of a better title was an occurrence within AFL boundaries and jurisdiction . The messendon thing has pushed beyond those boundaries into a much bigger arena. One the AFL doesnt rule. WADA does.

Am happy for Melbourne to be scrutinised.

This is not a transgression against the AFL as was ours, supposedly ( though unproven etc ) Messendon has run foul of a much bigger set of rules

The Melbourne 'thing' for want of a better title was an occurrence within AFL boundaries and jurisdiction . The messendon thing has pushed beyond those boundaries into a much bigger arena. One the AFL doesnt rule. WADA does.

Am happy for Melbourne to be scrutinised.

This is not a transgression against the AFL as was ours, supposedly ( though unproven etc ) Messendon has run foul of a much bigger set of rules

Tanking bb

Not hard just say it!