Training - Friday 29th November, 2013

Whispering_Jack

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watch out for this bloke at training. He sounds keen -

its heart warming isnt it?

If he can get back out on the park, with his foot issues past him and be even half the player he was.. What a massive boost for will be for the entire team and club.

I went along this morning for about 1.5 hours. I am lucky I checked the MFC website because I was heading to Casey and they changed it at late notice again!!

Anyway... the first thing to report is the feel of happiness in the playing group. That sounds lame I know but let me explain. There is always a lot of banter and mucking around regardless of the coach but it was more than general banter. Roos and the coaching staff were interacting with the players with a smile on their face, laughing with them as if the coaches, players and training assistants weren't separate entities -they are all MFC. Very relaxed, very interactive but dead serious once the drills started.

A few times Roos stopped things, and the drill participants came around and he spent time explaining positioning and where/when to run.

Gawn, Tapscott, McKenzie, Tyson, Garland and Strauss were in a group - I am assuming the rehab group although a few of the younger boys like Georgiou and Salem were with them at the beginning - did run, after run, after run almost for the entire time I was there. Tapscott was really putting in and almost puked at one stage right in front of me. Byrnes, Howe and Bail were with this group also, but later peeled off to jog endless laps at a decent pace. Tyson is a very big boy: huge through the bum, hips and thighs and has dynamic hands. In the one ball drill this group stopped to do, his skills looked as good as anyone on our list. Vince was with this group early but went inside half way through.

I wouldn't have thought this prior to training today but there are options for the small forward position. Barry, Kennedy-Harris (JKH from now on) and Byrnes all look set to fight for this position. Barry looked outstanding today - ran well, chucked his body in, and kicked cleanly. I would give him the nod at this stage although JKH looks like he could be a model small forward. Barry's pace might see him on a wing.

There was an interesting drill near the beginning of the session. Two players going one-on-one, trying to keep the ball just moving at their feet, but not allowing their opponent to pick it up or get ball-side of the contest. I am guessing it was a core strength drill. Surprisingly, Toumpas was very good at this.

Single observations:

• Clark, Hogan, Fitzy could be formidable as a trio. Strong, able and imposing.
  • Tyson, JKH and Georgiou all have awkward kicking actions. Tyson's knee was bandaged which might explain his, but Georgiou is particular might find his kicking action shows up at AFL level.
  • Salem looks very, very good and has that smooth skill look that reminded me a lot of a young Yze.
  • The Rookie Hunt is lightening fast over the first 10 metres, and then has a power-band a few seconds later when he just burns the grass up. But his kicking was very poor at top speed.
  • Toumpas looks ready to go. If he is still eligible for Rising Star nomination he could give it a good shake. Probably the best trainer on the park that I noticed.
  • Watching Cross in the midfield drills is like a coaching manual on positioning. He is the perfect addition to our midfield.
  • Watts with the ball remains a gem, but in the midfield drills he remained on the exterior of too many contests. He wasn't corrected though and I wonder if that will be his designated role - an outside mid?
  • No Dawes.
  • No Michie. (at least I don't think so)
  • Spencer ran for the first 15 mins then disappeared.
  • Mitch Clark did the full session. Looks good and sharp. When he kicks a ball, it makes a real solid wooomph of a sound.
  • Hogan is like N Jones - they both train as if it is a game. Great to see.
  • Fitzy looks magnificent, was running well, marking everything with one solid grab, and his kicking was very sharp.
  • Howe and Bail look in peak fitness. Bail has put on 3kgs at least and seems very fresh. I hope his head is ok.
  • Evans' moustache is almost as irritating as Dunn's.

All over, it was a good, clean, sharp training session. There are obvious differences between past and present coaches but nothing as clear-cut different as it was between Bailey and Neeld. But the relaxed and "happy" nature of the training group was the most notable difference from last year. I know it is one of Roos' mantras that the players love their footy. If today was anything it was evidence that this philosophy is beginning to work its way through the group.

And last but not least, as I looked over my right shoulder, who did I discover in a hoodie and dark glasses? A certain Brad Green turned up incognito!!

I went along this morning for about 1.5 hours. I am lucky I checked the MFC website because I was heading to Casey and they changed it at late notice again!!

Anyway... the first thing to report is the feel of happiness in the playing group. That sounds lame I know but let me explain. There is always a lot of banter and mucking around regardless of the coach but it was more than general banter. Roos and the coaching staff were interacting with the players with a smile on their face, laughing with them as if the coaches, players and training assistants weren't separate entities -they are all MFC. Very relaxed, very interactive but dead serious once the drills started.

A few times Roos stopped things, and the drill participants came around and he spent time explaining positioning and where/when to run.

Gawn, Tapscott, McKenzie, Tyson, Garland and Strauss were in a group - I am assuming the rehab group although a few of the younger boys like Georgiou and Salem were with them at the beginning - did run, after run, after run almost for the entire time I was there. Tapscott was really putting in and almost puked at one stage right in front of me. Byrnes, Howe and Bail were with this group also, but later peeled off to jog endless laps at a decent pace. Tyson is a very big boy: huge through the bum, hips and thighs and has dynamic hands. In the one ball drill this group stopped to do, his skills looked as good as anyone on our list. Vince was with this group early but went inside half way through.

I wouldn't have thought this prior to training today but there are options for the small forward position. Barry, Kennedy-Harris (JKH from now on) and Byrnes all look set to fight for this position. Barry looked outstanding today - ran well, chucked his body in, and kicked cleanly. I would give him the nod at this stage although JKH looks like he could be a model small forward. Barry's pace might see him on a wing.

There was an interesting drill near the beginning of the session. Two players going one-on-one, trying to keep the ball just moving at their feet, but not allowing their opponent to pick it up or get ball-side of the contest. I am guessing it was a core strength drill. Surprisingly, Toumpas was very good at this.

Single observations:

• Tyson, JKH and Georgiou all have awkward kicking actions. Tyson's knee was bandaged which might explain his, but Georgiou is particular might find his kicking action shows up at AFL level.
  • Salem looks very, very good and has that smooth skill look that reminded me a lot of a young Yze.
  • The Rookie Hunt is lightening fast over the first 10 metres, and then has a power-band a few seconds later when he just burns the grass up. But his kicking was very poor at top speed.
  • Toumpas looks ready to go. If he is still eligible for Rising Star nomination he could give it a good shake. Probably the best trainer on the park that I noticed.
  • Watching Cross in the midfield drills is like a coaching manual on positioning. He is the perfect addition to our midfield.
  • Watts with the ball remains a gem, but in the midfield drills he remained on the exterior of too many contests. He wasn't corrected though and I wonder if that will be his designated role - an outside mid?
  • No Dawes.
  • Mitch Clark did the full session. Looks good and sharp. When he kicks a ball, it makes a real solid wooomph of a sound.
  • Fitzy looks magnificent, was running well, marking everything with one solid grab, and his kicking was very sharp.
  • Howe and Bail look in peak fitness. Bail has put on 3kgs at least and seems very fresh. I hope his head is ok.

All over, it was a good, clean, sharp training session. There are obvious differences between past and present coaches but nothing as clear-cut different as it was between Bailey and Neeld. But the relaxed and "happy" nature of the training group was the most notable difference from last year. I know it is one of Roos' mantras that the players love their footy. If today was anything it was evidence that this philosophy is beginning to work its way through the group.

And last but not least, as I looked over my right shoulder, who did I discover in a hoodie and dark glasses? A certain Brad Green turned up incognito!!

Great report Maldonboy. Thanks. I have been of the belief for the last 2 years, that while we won't give the finals a shake in the short-term, our results will improve out of sight, once this list begins to enjoy their footy and feel like they are finally in a real footy team.

I reckon that will be the greatest difference under Roos in the short term and we won't have to wait long to see the difference on match days

Went past at about 10:25, stayed for 40 or 50 minutes. At the end it was actually getting pretty breezy and chilly so I'd seen enough.

Firstly, public service announcements, due to the overwhelming failure of the first few have been postponed until a later date. No significant urination updates either.

By the time I got there I didn't see Jamar, Spencer, Michie, King, Byrnes, Kent, Salem, Riley, Blease, Vince or Dawes and Howe and Bail had just finished some running and headed off. Grimes was training away from the main group and chatting lots to the physios as well. Hopefully just precautionary.

Gawn was doing laps at good speed. Tapscott doing all different distances around the outside and often with some decent periods of rest. I don't know what the plan is for him. He's cutting a lonely figure at the moment. Did a couple of laps with rookie pick Ali G who was also just doing laps.

Strauss and Garland, McKenzie and Tyson formed a 4 often doing 300m runs as a pair with Strauss gaining on average 5-10 yards on Garland and the other 2 going neck to neck. All looking fit. I'd imagine they'd be getting close to the main group.

Speaking of main group, Harmes, Hunt and Neil Patrick Harris were all in a big main circle work drill and looked comfortable enough before pulling out well before the end of the session. You could hear Harmes calling out to get the ball and almost sense he couldn't believe himself when calling out for a handball from Clarkey!

Main drills focused on quick ball movement and then follow up running. Ie kick wide to a back flank who then kicks up to the wing and by the time that's happened the original kicker is up getting the handball off the guy who marked on the wing. Real emphasis on following up and getting to the next contest. Game day running stuff. Maia Westrupp has a horribly forced kicking action but has some athleticism. Toumpas looking good as well. Still impressed by Evans. Frawley back in the main group and getting into it.

A few handball drills and a 3 man weave v 3 opponents drill where after you take the ball up you become the defense is a drill I really like.

Surprise trainer of the day goes to Cam Pedersen. In between drills he still waddles around and has to put his head down to start jogging but in the drills he was hunting the ball and even ran down Toumpas at one stage and tackled him which sure a few of his team mates give him some high fives.

All in all I'd say it was a decent session. The ball moved well without exactly humming around perfectly. Some of the new guys got a taste of touching the footy with their team mates. More opportunity for Roos and Co to get some basics nailed and plenty of running in the drills for the main group and also for the rehab groups.

Is Green running black ops for the Blues?

The Dees will see red over this.

Is Green running black ops for the Blues?

The Dees will see red over this.

If he is, I hope it's along the lines of "[censored] Mick, we better watch out for Melbourne this year, they look sharp"

Or maybe Brad is there on his own accord just missing everyone at the MFC.

Great wrap up The Master. Kept laughing when I read "Ali G" and "Neil Patrick Harris". I thought the same damn things when we drafted em.

Great report Maldonboy. Interesting you say Tyson's skills are as good as anyone we have on our list, but later describe him as an awkward kick. Could you elaborate on this?

He has a strange little flick or jerk to his kicking action on both sides of his body that looks clumsy, but his kicks always hit their target. He is very smooth and strong - a natural looking footballer but his kicking action did look odd. However, he was never running and kicking so it might be instruction while his hammy repairs.

Great reports... did Clark pull up ok after the session? No concerned looks from the physios etc? I'm pleased to read that Barry is doing so well... I get the feeling he may be one of the biggest surprises at the MFC in season 2014.

Now that we have two comprehensive training reports in, let the bickering begin.

He has a strange little flick or jerk to his kicking action on both sides of his body that looks clumsy, but his kicks always hit their target. He is very smooth and strong - a natural looking footballer but his kicking action did look odd. However, he was never running and kicking so it might be instruction while his hammy repairs.

Thanks mate. I would have simply "liked" your post but...ya know..

Single observations:

• No Dawes.

You effing beauty!!