WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - JAY KENNEDY-HARRIS

btdemon

Just wondering what others who have been down to training thought about this......

JKH is the most intense trainer I've seen at a Melbourne training session. He trains as if he has Roos watching his every move. His hands at ground level are ridiculous at full pace, lightning quick, his skills are very sharp, and his work rate from what I've seen is the highest on the track. His highlight reel from last year showed a kid who played on at all costs and backed his pace. Combine that with our lack of successful small forwards and it's something to get excited about.

Just something to be positive about after a difficult decade. And I know positivity is a rare occurrence on here and will probably get picked off by the haters.

Addam Maric was training the house down in pre-season a couple of years ago....

Just sayin,,,,

I watched him play Under 18's and now train with us-- he reminds us a little (skillset wise) of Jeff Farmer, but without the flamboyancy ans spontaneous aspects..however he is an actor of sorts.

I watched him play Under 18's and now train with us-- he reminds us a little (skillset wise) of Jeff Farmer, but without the flamboyancy ans spontaneous aspects..however he is an actor of sorts.

. Hands off JCB he's mine in Ultimate Footy 2014 :-)). How are you travelling these days my friend ? Looking forward to renewing our rivalries in 2014. :-)

seems the buzz phrase or mantra is all players under 6'6'' must be potential mids !! lol

If this kid is half as good as the vids and reports to date then Im perfectly happy with him marauding around the forward fifty creating havoc and impacting the scoreboard. Some how i remember something about this game being about scoring and more than the other, its not about who has the best bloody collection of mids, its who has a team that works and scores highest. Thats the GOAL of this game, the ONLY one btw. All others things are pathways to it.

JKH can stay a forward all his Demon playing career for all I care ...if it works.

seems the buzz phrase or mantra is all players under 6'6'' must be potential mids !! lol

If this kid is half as good as the vids and reports to date then Im perfectly happy with him marauding around the forward fifty creating havoc and impacting the scoreboard. Some how i remember something about this game being about scoring and more than the other, its not about who has the best bloody collection of mids, its who has a team that works and scores highest. Thats the GOAL of this game, the ONLY one btw. All others things are pathways to it.

JKH can stay a forward all his Demon playing career for all I care ...if it works.

Not going to happen.

It would be fantastic and exciting for us all were JKH to get up and running at a level at which he apparently is showing on the training track.

But lets not put too hugh expectations on the kid right now.

I always hope for miracles, but don't expect too many.

Not going to happen.

adamant ?

why not

point is....no one knows

adamant ?

why not

point is....no one knows

Foolish to be adamant. But as the rules currently stand it's too hard to carry a small forward in the team who doesn't do at least some part of the game in the midfield. If you look at the grand final small forwards - Rioli, Bruest, Puopolo, Ballantyne, Walters they all do midfield time at least to some extent and often quite a bit in certain games. Walters does the least but is probably still building his tank.

At JKH's height unless he has very strong hands and extreme pace he's unlikely to be so good around goal that he gets left there. And from his highlights I haven't seen that. I've seen a guy with very good pace and movement through traffic as well as clean disposal, all which points to utilization up the field.

If the rules change to favour less rotations through positions either by keeping players stuck in certain areas or some how making players run less in a game then he could be a forward only. Right now he must be heading towards being a rotational player and I certainly see him as a better half forward than deep forward anyway.

have ppl actually observed the Roos compilation of a team?

suddenly folk here know him better than all others.

PR doesn't necessarily advocate no small(er) fwds He does like mids. One doesnt have to be the other

have ppl actually observed the Roos compilation of a team?

suddenly folk here know him better than all others.

PR doesn't necessarily advocate no small(er) fwds He does like mids. One doesnt have to be the other

I just look at the Sydney premiership team and don't see a full time small forward there. Bolton, Bird and Lewis Jetta played majority small forward but all did midfield time. McGlynn was the defensive forward but was replaced by Morton in the grand final who did a defensive job/also is a bigger more marking player than JKH. If JKH was a defensive small forward he could do that but I'm not sure he'd be that player until he gets super fit. And his skills are better utilised by being a ball player than a primarily defensive one.

I''m not even sure how this argument started. I'm sure we can fit him in the team for lots of games next year as a permanent forward as the side will develop. Long term though if people think he'll be some kind of huge goal kicker then I think they are misjudging his traits.

Foolish to be adamant. But as the rules currently stand it's too hard to carry a small forward in the team who doesn't do at least some part of the game in the midfield. If you look at the grand final small forwards - Rioli, Bruest, Puopolo, Ballantyne, Walters they all do midfield time at least to some extent and often quite a bit in certain games. Walters does the least but is probably still building his tank.

At JKH's height unless he has very strong hands and extreme pace he's unlikely to be so good around goal that he gets left there. And from his highlights I haven't seen that. I've seen a guy with very good pace and movement through traffic as well as clean disposal, all which points to utilization up the field.

If the rules change to favour less rotations through positions either by keeping players stuck in certain areas or some how making players run less in a game then he could be a forward only. Right now he must be heading towards being a rotational player and I certainly see him as a better half forward than deep forward anyway.

I must say that I differ, and see the reduced rotations doing quite the opposite for the stay-at-home small forward. More of the mids will be required to "rest" up forward meaning all of the smaller forwards in particular will need to spend time in the guts.

BTW - I feel that curtailing rotations (and I wouldn't be opposed to a far greater reduction that that which is proposed) may well reduce the frenetic pace, but should also reduce the spectacle-killing extreme flood and result in more versatile players, particularly those who have a rôle in the midfield, and also perhaps a lot more one-on-one contests.

Edited by monoccular

I must say that I differ, and see the reduced rotations doing quite the opposite for the stay-at-home small forward. More of the mids will be required to "rest" up forward meaning all of the smaller forwards in particular will need to spend time in the guts.

BTW - I feel that curtailing rotations (and I wouldn't be opposed to a far greater reduction that that which is proposed) may well reduce the frenetic pace, but should also reduce the spectacle-killing extreme flood and result in more versatile players, particularly those who have a rôle in the midfield, and also perhaps a lot more one-on-one contests.

No we essentially agree. I was saying that if the rules were to change in the future we might get back to traditional positions and players but as of now it's heading towards almost no permanent small forwards. And with guys like Roughead going in to the midfield it might be heading to no permanent tall forwards. With Howe showing potential on a wing, Hogan having top endurance and good skills and Clark being a very good ruck it could be an advantage we have compared to other teams.

there is no rule that dictates no sah fwd . He might move into the midfield, he mighn't.

Roos like others acknowledges the game changes.

adamant ?

why not

point is....no one knows

The games changed and the old role of small forward is not part of how it is played. Now of course things can change back but my guess in the current & developing game he will start forward but move up the ground as required.

He does look a good prospect though, no matter where he plays.

Re the thread title, does this mean he's been hanging with the St Kilda boys?

Maybe the real answer to that elusive small forward is to target and draft a dwarf.

However, the thread title can lead someone to think that we've actually got a benchmark to rate the kid by. I was at the first session the draftees trained and was impressed by the young bloke. Watching a runt like Neade at the Power this past season gives me confidence that someone of JKH's size and his attributes shown at training will be as good as chance any to play in the firsts next season.

Don't expect Roos to throw him to the wolves, though.

Maybe the real answer to that elusive small forward is to target and draft a dwarf.........

LOL "LIKE" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by monoccular