Taggert, Magner, Stark delisted; Clisby promoted

titan_uranus

Also disappointed to see Taggert go. I realise he hadn't managed to break into a horribly bad team but post injury he had been on a solid trajectory of improvement with Casey. Isn't that what most 20 year olds mids would be doing at every other club? Seems like a victim of another changed régime, unlucky IMO (not that it's worth much).

• Like 2

Also disappointed to see Taggert go. I realise he hadn't managed to break into a horribly bad team but post injury he had been on a solid trajectory of improvement with Casey. Isn't that what most 20 year olds mids would be doing at every other club? Seems like a victim of another changed régime, unlucky IMO (not that it's worth much).

Taggert's problem wasn't his ability to break in to the MFC side but his inability to play consistent VFL footy. 5 goals one week, 10 touches for the game the next. The players at Geelong developing along slowly at least manage consistent VFL performances.

A lot of us did stipulate that more midfield time at Casey might have seen an increased level of play but for whatever reason he wasn't given that shot.

In a lot of ways though we look at a guy like Kent who in a very early game at Casey kicked a few goals and had 30 touches. That form demanded him to be promoted to AFL or at least given more Casey midfield time.

Even Toumpas would have a bad week at AFL but then get 25 touches at Casey easily.

Anyway I'm all for giving Taggert a 3rd year as a rookie to see if a preseason and opportunity in the midfield at Casey can help him.

Edited by the master

According to Demonland, Taggert is a serious talent unfairly dismissed, and Nicholson both the luckiest and worst player on an AFL list. The hyperbole and unfoundedly speculative comment on here is just WOW!

• Like 10

According to Demonland, Taggert is a serious talent unfairly dismissed, and Nicholson both the luckiest and worst player on an AFL list. The hyperbole and unfoundedly speculative comment on here is just WOW!

Well according to me Taggert has size, skills and injuries wiped out his first season so he's only really had 1 year to prove himself. He's not a serious talent but might be worth another year. And nor was his dismissal unfair but might have been premature.

Nicholson has now had 3 years in which he's had opportunity at AFL level in all 3 and hasn't improved since his first game. He's proven thus far he's not a good close checking defender and whilst he can find the ball he struggles to use it. He also has moments where he shirks contests and generally has poor decision making. So yeah I think it's pretty fair to label him incredibly lucky. And considering he's bottom 3 on our list and we have the worst list then yeah he might well be right in the running for worst player in the AFL.

Edited by the master
  • Like 1

I hve nothing to say about Taggert except disappointment at another pick wasted. Personally I know nothing of him.

As for Nicholson, he IS indeed very lucky.

I thought he must have been contracted. If not, then his survival must mean the teacher of the remedial disposal class (by hand AND foot) is going to be working over time.

Of course it's not a huge surprise he was cut, but for me I would prefer Taggert than a speculative pick 47 or similar. The point regarding Toumpas is a good one, he did certainly earn himself a recall whenever dropped, I can't recall Kent's dominant Casey games but I'll take your word for it.

Well according to me Taggert has size, skills and injuries wiped out his first season so he's only really had 1 year to prove himself. He's not a serious talent but might be worth another year. And nor was his dismissal unfair but might have been premature.

Nicholson has now had 3 years in which he's had opportunity at AFL level in all 3 and hasn't improved since his first game. He's proven thus far he's not a good close checking defender and whilst he can find the ball he struggles to use it. He also has moments where he shirks contests and generally has poor decision making. So yeah I think it's pretty fair to label him incredibly lucky. And considering he's bottom 3 on our list and we have the worst list then yeah he might well be right in the running for worst player in the AFL.

Taggert did a full pre season this year and was in and out mixing it between Development Side and VFL seniors. No excuse to why he couldn't break into our team this year after if he had put a couple of consistent games like what Max Gawn, Dean Kent and even Toumpas when he went back.

If he was to be kept on next year he would be behind Toumpas, Kent, Viney, Michie, Trengove, Barry, Tyson, Vince, Clisby and even pick 9..

as I said before, he just wasn't that good.

Thank god the Barry Prendergast nightmare is over... Heck even CAC wasn't this bad was he??

Keep the delistings coming. Have to trust Roosy and the footy department in this one. All we need now is Bail + Jetta + Nicholson to finish off another list of major list changes. All required in my view. Unless an outstanding year happens to Dunn, Blease, Strauss, Byrnes, Evans, McKenzie, Pederson, Tapscott they will be in the firing line!

• Like 1

Keeping Nicholson and Jetta over Taggert. Are you serious?

Out: Davey, Rodan, Macdonald, Sellar, Gillies, Davis, Tynan, Taggert, Magner ®, Stark ®, Couch ®, Clisby (promoted)

In: Hogan, Vince, Michie, Tyson, Cross, Clisby (promoted)

So at the moment we've got 2 senior list spots - Pick 9 and Pick 40 and 4 rookie spots. I would suggest using a rookie spot on Taggert wouldn't be a bad idea although the history of players dropped down to the rookie list and then making it back is very disappointing.

Everyone says this draft is weak after pick 40 though so maybe not much point even having pick 57 or the PSD pick but I'd rather use it than a late rookie pick if we can flick another player back to the rookie list in Jetta or Nicholson or just delist them.

Agreed - very disappointed with the Taggert decision. Over Nicho and Jetta?

Maybe there was something behind the scenes like Gysberts (but a tall, big bodied good kicking midfielder who has been very unlucky with injury - defeats the purpose of getting Viv Michie)

Anyway - I hope we still get rid of Nicho - for a psd selection (maybe ruckman).

Hope we get Taggert as a rookie.

Jetta could play as our small forward for now given that we don't really have one.

Nicholson must be blackmailing the club - I have no idea how he got on an AFL list.

I hve nothing to say about Taggert except disappointment at another pick wasted.

It's not wasted, it's the nature of the beast. Why are people presuming that every draftee we take should turn out to be an AFL player?

A third of all draftees taken never play a single game. Another third (higher actually, around 43%) play less than 50 games. The total there is 3/4, 75%.

At the other end, only 13% get to play more than 100 games, and only 3% more than 200.

So, across the history of the draft and across all clubs, around 1 player in every 6 plays more than 100 games - and most of those would be in/close to the first round.

That a pick 36 didn't make the grade at AFL level is more to be expected than to be unexpected.

• Like 6

Agreed - very disappointed with the Taggert decision. Over Nicho and Jetta?

Maybe there was something behind the scenes like Gysberts (but a tall, big bodied good kicking midfielder who has been very unlucky with injury - defeats the purpose of getting Viv Michie)

Michie won B&F at his WAFL club, though he only played 15 full games (injured and subbed off in round 21). Ave 26 disposals across those 16 games, and had more than 30 disposals in 6 of them.

Managed quite a bit more than Taggert, and also did all that coming off 2 years where he hardly played because of injury.

• Like 2

Michie won B&F at his WAFL club, though he only played 15 full games (injured and subbed off in round 21). Ave 26 disposals across those 16 games, and had more than 30 disposals in 6 of them.

Managed quite a bit more than Taggert, and also did all that coming off 2 years where he hardly played because of injury.

Yer - I was just being emotional - although Michie did have like 3 years didn't he?

3 VFL players got delisted today.

That's all they were.

Yep and there are another half dozen that are lucky they have contracts still running.

The last two years we have been the worst established team by a country mile.

Guess what we had lots of VFL standard players on the list.

We have to change players or maintain the results of the last two years.

AFL football is a brutal world.

It is play the standard or get out of the road.

• Like 2

Nicholson must be blackmailing the club - I have no idea how he got on an AFL list.

Nicholson under Roos might be the next Crowley or Clancey Pearce under Lyon?

Keep the delistings coming. Have to trust Roosy and the footy department in this one. All we need now is Bail + Jetta + Nicholson to finish off another list of major list changes. All required in my view. Unless an outstanding year happens to Dunn, Blease, Strauss, Byrnes, Evans, McKenzie, Pederson, Tapscott they will be in the firing line!

Spot on in my view

A Taggert love in here tonight on Demonland !! Jetta will flourish under Roos, he possesses every attribute required for the Roos regime. Can we please just take a deep breath and reassure ourselves we lost no one of real ability today.