2013 Player Review - # 1 Jesse Hogan

Demonland

The club's teenage GWS Mini Draft selection shone like a beacon as a tall key forward in his development year with the Casey Scorpions. A knee injury late in the season was costly for the Demons' VFL counterpart which lost its last three games (including two finals) without his goal kicking prowess. However, Hogan is unlikely to spend much time at that level again.

Games CSFC 2013 15 Goals CSFC 2013 39

Give us a spell. The bloke hasn't played an official game yet.

That's astute of you to notice this fact but every year we do a player review starting from # 1 and onwards.

Hogan happens to be the player who was allocated the #1 guernsey and we recognise him as a Demon in 2013.

• Like 6

Hogan was one of the very few bright spots in what was the darkest season of football I can recall for the MFC. Hogan has some hype that he might find hard to live up to in his first season next year, but could be a legitimate heavyweight in the AFL when he gets a few seasons under his belt.

Very exciting prospect to watch develop.

Give us a spell. The bloke hasn't played an official game yet.

Sure, he hasn't played a game yet, but only because he wasn't allowed to.

And as pointed out above this is a review of our list, and starts with #1.

He is a bright light on what has been a dark horizon, but that is all.

We all hope that he will prove himself worth of all the hype over the next few seasons.

don't like his attitude

don't like his haircut

don't like the way he trains

don't like his kicking action

don't like his left side handball

don't like his smart alec way of talking to press

don't like him in the forward line

don't like him in the backline

hes not a midfielder

why play him in the ruck

hes just no good

waste of a pick really

other clubs laugh at our development players

any threads started about this player please feel free to use my quotes,and save me posting next year

almost forgot

hes great

I think hes there for 10 years

move him up the field

told you we didn't need clark/dawes

how good was his 3 touches though

do you think he will poll in the chas

he could be our next captain

do you think he should be our next captain

feel free to use these quotes next year,on a weekly basis

Edited by jazza
  • Like 4

I'd have some reservations re expectations on Hogan if he were our #1 forward option for 2014 but he will get the 3rd / 4th defender. Id think he should kick 20-30 goals and build over the next few seasons. Very exciting!!

I wouldn't be surprised if he was getting the number one defender by about round 4. He's better than Dawes and Fitzpatrick and Clark will probably take time to return to his best. Don't underestimate what Hogan is capable of at AFL level from round 1. I understand those who are concerned about the hype and the expectations but unlike Watts and the other great white hopes of the past, Hogan has already given us a taste of what is to come against grown men.

He's a contested marking monster. But that's not what is going to make him a dominant AFL player - it's his running. He's got such a massive tank that he just works his opponent(s) into the ground. This helps him get into one on one contests where he can just monster his (exhausted) man.

He's Jonathan Brown, but 18 years old and playing for Melbourne.

• Like 10

I haven't seen him in the flesh, but from what I've read on Demonland (KC in particular), and in the media, I'm more excited about Hogan in red & blue than I have been about any player in a long, long time. By good fortune (very unusual for the MFC) his recruitment was perfectly timed ie. he's had a season at Casey to 'blood' himself against men; for the first time in decades we have several very capable big bodied forwards to take the heat off him as he settles into the big league; and most importantly, we have a new coach who will nurture and develop him, and ensure that he gets the most out of his considerable assets.

I'm really excited, and I dare anyone to disagree with me!

He's a contested marking monster. But that's not what is going to make him a dominant AFL player - it's his running. He's got such a massive tank that he just works his opponent(s) into the ground. This helps him get into one on one contests where he can just monster his (exhausted) man.

He's Jonathan Brown, but 18 years old and playing for Melbourne.

Way to keep a lid on it!

• Like 1

another 'schwabist' act giving him the number 1 guernsey. give him a number in the 40s and let him earn his stripes like every other player. so sick of this player worship this club has. What the *&^% is he doing on the membership flyer?! let the kid play one game of footy first.

even if he is carey and brown combined it wont win us a flag. its all about the team, not hero worshipping single players like some pubesant female Beatles fan. Grow up MFC

• Like 1

another 'schwabist' act giving him the number 1 guernsey. give him a number in the 40s and let him earn his stripes like every other player. so sick of this player worship this club has. What the *&^% is he doing on the membership flyer?! let the kid play one game of footy first.

even if he is carey and brown combined it wont win us a flag. its all about the team, not hero worshipping single players like some pubesant female Beatles fan. Grow up MFC

I honestly cannot understand why there is so much feeling about a players' number... it is just a number and should have no significance at all. As far as I'm concerned, they can put all the available numbers in one hat and all of the new players names in another and then allocate them from a blind draw.

As for Hogan being used on a membership flyer, that makes perfect sense... he is likely to be a big part of this club's future and to attract members you need to have something for prospective members to be inspired by. It's patently obvious that there is little to be inspired by from past seasons, and so the likes of Roos and Hogan are the big attractions. Hogan has shown both in his Casey form and in his brief NAB Cup appearance, that he IS worth getting excited about and just maybe he will rise above all of the hype.

another 'schwabist' act giving him the number 1 guernsey. give him a number in the 40s and let him earn his stripes like every other player.

Every other player?

Nathan Jones' first number: 2

Jack Watts first number: 4

Jimmy Toumpas first number: 5

Jack Viney's first number: 7

James Frawley's first number: 8

Jack Trengove's first number: 9

Shall I continue?

• Like 1

I honestly cannot understand why there is so much feeling about a players' number... it is just a number and should have no significance at all. As far as I'm concerned, they can put all the available numbers in one hat and all of the new players names in another and then allocate them from a blind draw.

As for Hogan being used on a membership flyer, that makes perfect sense... he is likely to be a big part of this club's future and to attract members you need to have something for prospective members to be inspired by. It's patently obvious that there is little to be inspired by from past seasons, and so the likes of Roos and Hogan are the big attractions. Hogan has shown both in his Casey form and in his brief NAB Cup appearance, that he IS worth getting excited about and just maybe he will rise above all of the hype.

The point is it would be good if we could let some of these guys actually do it first before heaping the expectation on them. And yes I am very excited to see him run around on the G next year.

I think the whole number thing is a bit of a furphy. Back in the day many a lad had to earn his stripes in the turds then magoos then .....then they got on the senior list. It was a tradition to wear higher numbers. Today it doesnt matter a great deal. Apart from rookies , whats the dif ?

Someone has to wear a number :huh:

• Like 3

Untried potential here.

We should not place too much pressure on him in 2014 as he still learning ths game.

The point is it would be good if we could let some of these guys actually do it first before heaping the expectation on them. And yes I am very excited to see him run around on the G next year.

I understand what you are saying of course, and agree... however, using Hogan's face in some marketing material in an effort to attract members, is hardly heaping pressure on him. Besides, I have seen him at training when I have had the opportunity to be in Melbourne and from what I saw, the kid has a definite aura of confidence about him... I hardly think he is going to be feeling too much pressure at all.

Monkhouse for Collingwood also had no. 1 on his back but that was only because of their policy of having their players wear their IQ on their jumpers.

Had a brief chat to him in the "Betty Cuthbert" bar during the season. He is certainly a big lad. However I was really impressed by his manner, his keeness and his modesty. He presented as a genuine nice kid.

Uh oh. I smell another Jack Watts.