The way of the Paul Roos

beelzebub

Interesting reasoning by Roos on why we gave up pick 2 in the Tyson deal.

They thought the high draft picks this year were smaller bodied players and on the back on smaller types in Toumpas and Viney last year, preferred the bigger bodied player.

It would suggest pick 9 won't be anyone small or light.

• Like 2

Yes I think his comments were code for Col might be part of the problem rather than part of any solutions

As in we might have had to make the decision for him

I couldn't care less if he uses the word 'competitive', provided he does what he did in this video and adds to it.

The issue most people had with Bailey was that that was all he ever spoke about. Ever.

Already in that video Roos spoke about making sure we have bigger bodies in the midfield and working to improve our percentage (which comes not just from scoring more, but from improved defence too). Small things, but things that gave meaning to the vagueness that is 'competitive'.

I know, I was being facetious when saying it hurt to hear them from Roos.

It's all still a bit surreal knowing that Roos is the Coach of the MFC, even after watching that interview. Maybe it'll fully hit home when I see him in the coaches box come round 1 next year.

This is going to be one of the longest off-seasons ever.

• Like 4

Very impressive interview. Geez our polo shirts are looking drab though, how do we have so much trouble getting a decent coloured red?

I'd be much happier if they used Blue Polos rather than Red, that colour is used by quite a few other clubs.

• Like 1

It's all still a bit surreal knowing that Roos is the Coach of the MFC, even after watching that interview. Maybe it'll fully hit home when I see him in the coaches box come round 1 next year.

This is going to be one of the longest off-seasons ever.

Or, maybe when you boo him off the ground at the end of the 3qtr time huddle.

Ahhh, I'm just messin' with ya man.

I'd be much happier if they used Blue Polos rather than Red, that colour is used by quite a few other clubs.

Because it catches the eye. There's a science behind it.

Anyway, surprised anyone is criticising the polos or the shade of red - I think they look great.

• Like 1

As great as it is to hang on every word, Roos is not the messiah. Demonlanders should stop thinking like that as it can only end in disappointment. Also he has been out of the top level for some time. It may take more time than we expect. By all means enjoy the ride but for your own sanity be objective.

• Like 2

The best thing to come out of that interview was Roos' understanding of what percentage represents. There is no fuss, just simply spoken truths.

Back on the NT trip, my recollection froom watching the daily videos they posted during the last trip and listening to the various players' comments was that the trip was a very effective bonding exercise, moreso than staying back in Melbourne might have been. When there are together 24/7 there can be no greater bonding scenario particularly when they were all pushed to test themselves out of their comfort zones. Personally i think that its a shame if we don't repeat it this year, particularly when we are enmeshed with the NT Government and committed to playing three matches there next year (one NAB Cup and two during the Season-proper).

Clearly a success

• Like 1

The best thing to come out of that interview was Roos' understanding of what percentage represents. There is no fuss, just simply spoken truths.

I have, on more than one occasion, said that there are more measurements of progress than the 'legislatively important' W/L column.

Bailey thought it was 'Quarters Won' - Roos sees percentage as important.

They are not wrong. In fact, they are both right.

My issue is with the Demon fans who hypocritically lambaste the former as weakness and laud the latter as insight.

• Like 4

As great as it is to hang on every word, Roos is not the messiah. Demonlanders should stop thinking like that as it can only end in disappointment. Also he has been out of the top level for some time. It may take more time than we expect. By all means enjoy the ride but for your own sanity be objective.

The most measured and rational post I've seen here in a while. You hit the nail on the head deetox.

If we don't start winning games early on next year the tone will change.

"He's not the messiah, he's just a very naughty boy" will be the cry.

• Like 2

The most measured and rational post I've seen here in a while. You hit the nail on the head deetox.

This is hardly true. His time with the Swans academy and his ongoing involvement and analysis of the game will have kept him right up there.

• Like 1

As long as he has Shrubberies to bring... All shall be well.

And a rockery...

Or a Zen Garden at least.

• Like 1

I have, on more than one occasion, said that there are more measurements of progress than the 'legislatively important' W/L column.

Bailey thought it was 'Quarters Won' - Roos sees percentage as important.

They are not wrong. In fact, they are both right.

My issue is with the Demon fans who hypocritically lambaste the former as weakness and laud the latter as insight.

The one sure way to improve percentage is to improve the win column. Don't let the language confuse, it's no insight, this is Roos spin. He's looking for wins.

• Like 2