Dean Kent 2014

dazzledavey36

I agree with the OP and am going to continue the love fest.

I reckon Kent could become our Kieran Jack through the midfield. Like Jack, Kent has pace and an accurate left foot. Like Jack, Kent likes a goal. Like Jack, he's tough. He's a similar size - Kent is 179cm and Jack 178cm.

Jack didn't have his break out year until his fourth. He played 2 games in his first and was a regular by his second playing 23 games. But even in his third year he averaged only 14 disposals from his 22 games having averaged 12 in his second. In year 4 he jumped to 20 per game and hasn't looked back. This year he averaged over 25.

I reckon Kent can definitely become a regular in the midfield in a couple of years time.

• Like 2

Reminds me a bit of Daniel Rich - Strong left foot, kicks it very flat, has some bulk, can play high half-forward/wing.

Would need to improve his tank, quickness, and skills at ground level, but he's off to a solid start. Lets just hope he doesn't have a problem with people in wheelchairs too.

Edited by Demonof94

Wonder what the recruiting team thinks of Scharenberg. 190cm, rated right up there, playing down back at the moment but by all reports he is a Goddard-style utility who could (and some say should) make a full time move into the midfield.

I'm not convinced by Scharenberg as a midfielder because he isn't one, he is a utility/backman. If we want midfielders, we should be picking guys who play regularly in the midfield, not a potential project player who could make a move to the middle.

Bontempelli could be one to add to the size of our midfield.

I have to say I picked it after his first NAB Cup game. If I recall, he was into everything that day and if his kicking had gone a little straighter, he would have finished with two or three goals. As a midfielder, that's a very good return.

I'm not convinced by Scharenberg as a midfielder because he isn't one, he is a utility/backman. If we want midfielders, we should be picking guys who play regularly in the midfield, not a potential project player who could make a move to the middle.

Bontempelli could be one to add to the size of our midfield.

Luke Dunstan is your man ;-)

Started off the year disappearing for large chunks of the game, only averaging a handful of disposals, but the later the year went the better he became, in terms of being a presence in the game for longer.
His pace, strength and booming left foot are definitely his unique assets that will make him so valuable going forward. Is a genuine 60-70 metre player.

Look forward to a continued improvement next year...

I really like the sound of Dunstan and we should have a serious look but he's still not that really big midfielder like a Pendlebury or J Kennedy.

Kennedy is 188cm and 90kg

Dunsran is 186cm 85kg

Close enough

Dean Kent is shaping as an inspired choice at pick # 48. At worst I think he will be a good long term player, but to me he has some 'future star' qualities that will hopefully bloom under our new coaching and development regime. His steady improvement over the course of this year suggests to me that he has what it takes to succeed, and this is further evidenced by the fact he has already overtaken a number of his older and more experienced peers. I'm bullish about his prospects, and reckon he could be a beauty.

• Like 1

Another thing we have lacked over the years is midfielders who can kick goals when drifting forward. Nathan Jones can do this but give the is no one around him in the midfielder we really need him to stay there. I like that Kent knows where the goals are and reads the crumbs well. Very important to have mids who can find the goals.

Probably gonna get shot down for this, but I thought he was pretty average all year. Most weeks a struggled to get a touch and then when he does he butchers it. He's quick and hard, but atm that's about it. I think he has the tools to potentially become a good player, but for that to happen really needs to work on his decision making, composure and awareness.

Edit: spelling

Edited by Frank Grimes

They will be great but we are really lacking a couple of big midfielders, guys who are 188cm plus and 90kg.

The midfield is way too small and has been for a long time hence we are continually out-muscled at the stoppages.

Two words - Jack Watts. Roos clearly sees him as a mid-fielder(see his Herald-Sun article from a month or so ago). He has also said what he (Watts) needs more than anything is a position and stick to it for a while. He would be extremely difficult to match up on particularly after a hard pre-season.

I'd like to throw a"left field" suggestion for the other wing. jack Fitzpatrick. Another hard matchup, but he has the speed and could well develop into something awesome in that position, particularly with our forward half crowded with the likes of Dawes, Hogan, Clark, Howe. And possibly Sylvia.

Probably gonna get shot down for this, but I thought he was pretty average all year. Most weeks a struggled to get a touch and then when he does he butchers it. He's quick and hard, but atm that's about it. I think he has the tools to potentially become a good player, but for that to happen really needs to work on his decision making, composure and awareness.

Not from me FG

I reckon he looked a lot better than he was because of a lack of choice.

Still first year for young guy he showed something to work with in the future.

First year player

Fresh from WAFL Colts

Pick # 48

Winning

Boom, boom...

He improved throughout the year. That's a pretty amazing feat and I'd say he was the only one who did.

Needs to replace a few kg's of flab with a few kg's of muscle and then be fit enough to see more regular midfield time and a more consistent input up forward.

And yes he's good on the run but his set shot goal kicking is rubbish. Needs to sort it out.

Am i the only one who thought his agility was lacking?

He seemed to know how to get the ball while running in a straight line, but in traffic, he looked a little heavy in the feet, to become an A grader.

Maybe i dont see enough on the telly?

Thats probably it.

Edited by faultydet

Am i the only one who thought his agility was lacking?

He seemed to know how to get the ball while running in a straight line, but in traffic, he looked a little heavy in the feet, to become an A grader.

Maybe i dont see enough on the telly?

Thats probably it.

I think you may have a point here.

It's one of the major things holding Tapscott too, along with his tank.

Still a decent pickup.

Kent was good, the pick of our small forwards all year. That is not saying much Davey is the other small forward that went OK the rest were shocking. Like Kent he has that hunger, loves a goal tackles well and unlike Sam Blease has a defensive side. I think next year if he continues to develop he will push onto a wing for periods of a game. Our forwards would love him running out of the middle with the footy his kicks go longer than most think.

Not a marking forward but was used as a hit up player this year, next year he won't he will be a run and receive player.

He offers more than Tapscott, Blease, Bail and Byrnes, if he gets better which he will he could be starting 18 for next year. One of the real shining lights going forward