Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

There is way more chance we will win the flag this year Reverend.

Way more!

I don't think they have a hope this year 'old dee', I can see their house crumbling...the players must be starting to realise their future could be tarnished and in some cases finished, that must have an effect. Last year they got a bump early playing the us against them card but later in the season the reality started to hit home.

I will get shoot down ( load your guns).

I understand the notion of player responsibility and when players are outside the club and ingest anything they need to have care.

Justin Charles goes to a doctor outside Richmond Football club and gets caught - no sympathy - he got what he deserved.

I can't help but feel some sympathy for the Essendon players that were put on the program by club officials within the club environment. As a player I would have the expectation that anything that is club sanctioned (big disclaimer - unless they knew it was illegal) is safe and within the rules.

I have zero sympathy for the club itself and the administrators/coach - feed them to the lions.

^ ^ ^

This thread is like snakes n' ladders.

Every once in a while someone comes up with the sentiments in the post above, it gets dissected and chewed up and we start again.

My heat bleeds for those Bomber players but it's like saying you didn't realise the speed limit was 40 and then you get booked.

He's not the messiah, he's just a naughty boy!

pedant here - "just a very naughty boy"! as I recall :-)

Hird takes off overseas when things are getting interesting. Now that's interesting.

Courageous man or totally delusional - is he off to his Harvard course perchance, rather than "take full responsibility"?

We should hang murderers, cut off the hands of thief's, cut out the eye's of peeping toms.

Penalties don't stop cheats. Saad has had his AFL career taken away from him because he drank and energy drink.

But we differ and won't convince each other.

So, are you suggesting that ASADA /AFL just say "naughty silly boys...just don't (get caught) do it again or we will come down on you then??"

If not then what??

Of course thats the reason AD made the call. He needs to protect the league, sponsors and tv rights.

.....and of course one of his never to be forgotten phrases..."the integrity of the game"!! :-)))

Not much of that left to protect if this one goes through to the keeper.

I understand the notion of player responsibility and when players are outside the club and ingest anything they need to have care.

Justin Charles goes to a doctor outside Richmond Football club and gets caught - no sympathy - he got what he deserved.

I can't help but feel some sympathy for the Essendon players that were put on the program by club officials within the club environment. As a player I would have the expectation that anything that is club sanctioned (big disclaimer - unless they knew it was illegal) is safe and within the rules.

I have zero sympathy for the club itself and the administrators/coach - feed them to the lions.

Yep and the german athletes in the 70s are paying the price now. And it didn't help Raelene Boyle....

Its simple. You can have sympathy for their plight but they are guilty, they put their faith in the wrong people and they have had an advantage. They shouldbe dirty that their careers and possibly their long term health are affected but they are falling in line behind boy wonder. They are totally deluded.

If every athlete that blamed their coach got off for doing drugs then WADA wouldn't have one conviction or suspension, It has to be zero tolerance.

• Like 5

Yep and the german athletes in the 70s are paying the price now. And it didn't help Raelene Boyle....

Its simple. You can have sympathy for their plight but they are guilty, they put their faith in the wrong people and they have had an advantage. They shouldbe dirty that their careers and possibly their long term health are affected but they are falling in line behind boy wonder. They are totally deluded.

If every athlete that blamed their coach got off for doing drugs then WADA wouldn't have one conviction or suspension, It has to be zero tolerance.

Absolutely Spot On JnrMac.

The WADA code is there for a reason. It must be adhered to or sport will die out.

How many mates is Hird going to burn because of his ego: Has gone on bomber tv to state he will be back for round 23. He doesn't care what this does to Bomber Thompson (his coaching mentor for 3 yrs) or the team on the eve of their season start? I don't care; may they end up 22/zip, but the gall of the man!

Hard to understand why EFC is standing behind one club champion (Hird) while seemingly prepared to jettison another (Bomber). You have to wonder what Hird has over people – they can’t all be mesmerized by him. Will someone eventually turn on him?

Would love to see Hird and Dank fall out then it would really hit the fan and some truth would start to come out.

I don't know if you've now deserted this thread given that nobody supported your view but if you go back a few pages you'll see a discussion on the issue I've had with other posters.

I learned a couple of things but the major view seemed to be that it's necessary to punish the Essendon players as a deterrent. After all if they are not punished every athlete will take drugs and hide behind the "it was the coach" defence.

Secondly the player is totally responsible for what goes into his body. Seeking professional advice in a professional organization and relying on coach, FD manager, conditioning coach, club doctor and supplement supplier for confirmation the drug is legal is not acceptable. In fact, if a player is injected for a bad ankle at half time and the doc puts in some anabolic steroid to hasten recovery without telling the player that is the players responsibility. He should be banned.

Thirdly that the law is the law. It doesn't matter that it's bad law that didn't anticipate a particular situation and under no circumstances should people have an ability to apply equitable solutions to difficult situation. The law is the law.

Of course there are some issues that may have been addressed earlier in this monster thread which I haven't seen. But the first issue is that no Essendon player has tested positive to a drug test, to my knowledge at least. Much as Jack says " it's like saying you didn't realise the speed limit was 40 and then you get booked" I'd say banning the Bomber players without a positive drug test is like sentencing someone to hang for murder without a body. For all we know Danks was playing a practical joke and was injecting saline and hoping for a significant placebo effect whilst slipping the real drugs paid for by Essendon into his pocket to be injected into the body builder down at the local gym. But he's probably too honest for that.

And for those arguing for the player to be punished because if they aren't "athletes will hide behind their coaches" their response and concerns will not be allayed unless all 43 Bombers are banned as all 43 were involved in the drug program. If only 14 get "done" the other 29 have got away with it and athletes around the world will have a blueprint of how to take drugs and go unpunished.

It's a stupid, dumb, inequitable, difficult and highly dangerous situation where the players face an uncertain medical future due to the trust they put in recognized and qualified professions. Those championing their disqualification from AFL footy seem to think their medical situation isn't punishing enough and that as well as their problematic medical future they should also lose their liveihood.

In short the human aspect of this event should not be considered and taken into account as the law didn't address this. After all, people are not important and we don't want to dilute the law, particularly as it involves Essendon players.

I don't share their view.

Oh, and from my brief reading of this thread I think Trengove is safe. There is a view that there is no evidence that he put a cream on his foot that contained AOD 9604 and if there's no proof he can't be found guilty. Thank heavens for all those positive drug tests. Oh, hold on..........................

Secondly the player is totally responsible for what goes into his body. Seeking professional advice in a professional organization and relying on coach, FD manager, conditioning coach, club doctor and supplement supplier for confirmation the drug is legal is not acceptable. In fact, if a player is injected for a bad ankle at half time and the doc puts in some anabolic steroid to hasten recovery without telling the player that is the players responsibility. He should be banned.

That is totally different. of course its not the players fault then. however, if they knew what they were getting then it was their fault.

if dank has dressed up AOD and put it in a vitamin B bottle then how can it possibly be the players fault - if that were proved to be the case then the player should get a much lesser penalty.

in this case, the essendon players were made to sign waivers WITH THE DRUGS ON THE FORM.

Bob. You are the only person around here who think the WADA code laws are wrong.

They are there for all.

He isnt the only one. There are a number of posters who have challenged the good sensevof all this.

And if WADA code is there for all how come Hird. Thompson, Reid and co walk free for their appalling involvement in this fiasco how is the WADA law for all?

That is totally different. of course its not the players fault then. however, if they knew what they were getting then it was their fault.

if dank has dressed up AOD and put it in a vitamin B bottle then how can it possibly be the players fault - if that were proved to be the case then the player should get a much lesser penalty.

in this case, the essendon players were made to sign waivers WITH THE DRUGS ON THE FORM.

How were the players to know what they actually took if the Club didnt know what they took and cant confirm what thry have taken?

Bob , you are wrong. Simply because what youre proffering is at loggerheads with the accepted rules that all signed up to.

if you want to be right....change the rules

Oh, and from my brief reading of this thread I think Trengove is safe. There is a view that there is no evidence that he put a cream on his foot that contained AOD 9604 and if there's no proof he can't be found guilty. Thank heavens for all those positive drug tests. Oh, hold on..........................

Now you're starting to sound like a lawyer :)

Player receives multiple injections into his body. Player either doesn't know or fully understand what is being injected other than amino acids or such. Player is assured by scientists that products are legal, but keeps no record as to what is being administered and does none of his own research.

There is at least a sufficient degree of recklessness to have the player sanctioned in these circumstances.

If the player was misled by the scientist into believing that he had taken the legal product X and was duped into taking illegal product Y then that would be a different story.

The WADA code needs to be adhered to with a strict liability or it is a waste of time. If a guilty mind needed to be proven in every case then the code is a toothless tiger and drugs in sport will become rampant.