Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

mine has a built-in rechargeable battery

just plug it in to the nearest usb port to charge (<1 hr)

even works on the train

I think it is like most of my adventures into the digital world dc

a disaster.

My daughter bought the same model and months later I discovered that they must have left the charger out of my box.

Honestly if it was raining soup I would be standing there with a fork!

a disaster.

My daughter bought the same model and months later I discovered that they must have left the charger out of my box.

Hahahahaha Gold.

I have a '64 Hitachi Wireless that takes 3 of those Barrel D Batteries.

I must get some newies you reminded me!!

I also have 2 other Digital radios, but you cannot reproduce that old Tranny sound except from the originals!!!

So this is Christmas.....

Don't forget the smoke alarm batteries

And a Happy New Year RIP JL

Don't forget the smoke alarm batteries

And a Happy New Year RIP JL

cheers. Good reminder. Smoke Alarm yes.

I will raid the newsagent battery stocks

AAA for all the remotes AA for the mouse as well!!!

"What did you get for christmas????"

"Batteries...all sizes"

"Cool" :)

a disaster.

We here to help you out OD

I sure there not an issue that one of us could not give you the completely wrong advice about.

Afterall we here to help other Dees Supporters,

So sit back and feel the love, its Christmas.

Is. It still receives a number of visits from a variety of sports organisations from around the world every year. I believe second only to the AIS. This to some extent is due to Australia's world-wide reputation of being a sporting super-power, but the AFL being the best in this market attracts its share of attention. That will not change.

You must be kidding....sure it is perhaps "cleaner" than....ummm...cycling...maybe.

But fair dinluk the AFL have totally stuffed up their reputation over their handling of this issue.

You must be kidding....sure it is perhaps "cleaner" than....ummm...cycling...maybe.

But fair dinluk the AFL have totally stuffed up their reputation over their handling of this issue.

But if someone, not from the EFC, should so much as spit on the sidewalk - I wouldn't mind betting that the wrath of the universe will be visited upon them in an attempt to demonstrate to all and sundry what lofty standards we keep here in the AFL....

So much good work done on behalf on the AFL has been brought undone by those that lay to fast and cute with the truth.

AFL highly regarded by World Authorities ?? get your hand off of it.. maybe once.. But Windy Gate has brought everything crashing back to earth.

It has done no such thing.

As I said in my previous post, Australia is still regarded as a world sporting superpower on the back of long term success at Olympic, and Commonwealth Games, having teams ranked in the top six for ten to twenty years in rugby league and Union, men's and women's hockey and basketball, rowing, sailing, shooting, cricket, being in the top three consistently in cycling, swimming, horse racing, having top ten players in golf, tennis, squash, Formula 1 motor racing, winning major international tournaments like The US Masters in Golf, a Tour de France winner etc etc etc. Do you want me to go on further because I have hardly started with the list....

There are virtually no other countries with the consistency and diversity of performance across the international sporting landscape as Australia. The world takes notice of this because almost all countries lust after international sporting glory in one form or another, and they ask themselves if we can do it why can't they? I know because I lived and worked in Asia and Europe for over ten years, and mixed with business, government officials and diplomats and a consistent theme when they knew I was Australian was "what brings us our sporting success?" There are many reasons for it (not just money, as the POMS would have us believe), but those discussions usually turn into suggestions "to go and look for yourself to find out". It is the same advice our diplomatic corps and trade commissioners spread every day offshore, particularly following the outstanding success of the Sydney Olympics after which our trade in sporting services has just exploded.

Many, many countries take up this advice and as a result we have a healthy trade in international sporting services, and related business such as design of stadia, consulting advice, legal advice, medical science, sports coaching of all kinds, technical expertise.

One of the first questions which these people ask is what are the best examples of sporting excellence and expertise in Australia. At or near the top of the list are the AIS and the AFL, along with others such as the ASC, VRC, AOC, CA, NBL, and yes ASADA - our anti doping processes and systems, and institutions are still regarded as some of the world's best.

Most people in Australia acknowledge the AFL as the powerhouse of the Australian sporting landscape and as such it is in very high demand so that others can understand how it does it. That is not going to change as a result of misbehavior from one team, and particularly one ego maniac of a coach.

Our reputation and performance across the board is too well intrenched and of such quality as for that to be no more than a short term irritant.

There is no question that we are regarded as a world leading sporting nation, especially in view of the relative size of our population compared with many other nations. Nevertheless, the way in which our authorities deal with the current AFL and NRL doping crises will have a far reaching effect on the esteem in which our sporting position is held. We are definitely in the spotlight of world opinion over this.

... and on the Essendon front Chip Le Grand (who seems to have all the inside info from Bomberland these days) reports on this extraordinary development in club governance - Paul Little in dual role for Essendon Bombers

PAUL Little will personally run the Essendon Football Club as it emerges from the AFL's most damaging scandal. The Bombers' president will chair the board and manage the club.

... and on the Essendon front Chip Le Grand (who seems to have all the inside info from Bomberland these days) reports on this extraordinary development in club governance - Paul Little in dual role for Essendon Bombers

I suggest money is a problem at the bombers.

$2million AFL fine.

$1 Million to Hird by December 31

$ pay outs to a number of others.

Big costs of establishing the new Playing fields at Tulla.

Looks like they are scrapping the bottom of the barrel to me.

Whilst agree in general with this post, strong CEOs, as AD undoubtedly is, usually get their way with boards (in the AFL case the Commission, staffed by commissioners). He could have implemented closer scrutiny on Essendon if he had have chosen to. In fact I believe he should have done so.

In my experience, good Boards set the benchmarks on strategy and governance, and the CEO is expected to meet those benchmarks. I bet if we examined the governance benchmarks of the AFL Commission, it would be exemplary in terms of best practice. If this is so, the commissioners should be at the very least asking some difficult questions of the CEO.

I have met a couple of AFL commissioners in the past, and I got the impression they held AD in almost a God-like status. To be fair to them, he has taken the AFL from being just another football organisation, to being the wealthiest, and most powerful sporting organisation in Australia, and the AFL is now regarded internationally as being world’s best practice in terms of sports management.

It is precisely these sorts of situations when all powerful leaders sometimes suffer from hubris. I would be asking if the AFL, and its all powerful CEO, is in this category. The Commission should be giving him an awfully hard time at the moment, and if the Essendon situation ends up as I believe it will i.e. infraction notices sent to a dozen plus players, and writs being served from players on Essendon, the AFL and Hird. This will result in tens of millions of dollars in damages being paid out, and the competition will be compromised for several years resulting in a less than full payment of broadcasting rights.

Under those circumstances, then I think there will be a good case for AD to be forced to resign, and probably the Chairman of the Governance sub-committee of the Commission as well. Maybe even Mike Fitzpatrick himself.

Good post. I agree that often a CEO can very influential, though a board has to accept the decisions it makes regardless. Also as another poster noted (sorry can't recall who) AD sits on the commission in some capacity. I had forgotten that and to be honest i'm not really sure what the parameters of his position is but it certainly blurs governance and management. I also agree that his performance review will not be as favorable as it has been previously and that the commission's faith in Ad will have taken a big hit.

I'm not sure i agree though that if infraction notices are served (with all the resulting financial pain) that this would force AD or any commissioners to resign. You said that AD could have implemented closer scrutiny on Essendon if he had have chosen to. Do you mean before it came to light eg by putting in controls about sports scientists and supplement programs (something he has acknowledged the AFL should have done)? Perhaps but i don't see this a failure of governance, perhaps poor management but not a sacking offfence. I can't see any failures of governance post it all coining out either. Maybe some poor calls by AD but again not sacking offences.

There is no question that we are regarded as a world leading sporting nation, especially in view of the relative size of our population compared with many other nations. Nevertheless, the way in which our authorities deal with the current AFL and NRL doping crises will have a far reaching effect on the esteem in which our sporting position is held. We are definitely in the spotlight of world opinion over this.

Ah the old per capita measurement. The same one they trot out for climate change,.,

just sayin

Will no doubt leave having signed a non disparagement agreement with a confidentiality clause.

Then get his missus to 'find' a presser to whinge in front of.

Still makes me lol that Hird was so weak as to make his wife front the press on his behalf, regardless of non disparagement agreements.

I suggest money is a problem at the bombers.

$2million AFL fine.

$1 Million to Hird by December 31

$ pay outs to a number of others.

Big costs of establishing the new Playing fields at Tulla.

Looks like they are scrapping the bottom of the barrel to me.

An article earlier this week re Hird's payments put the total costs so far for the drug saga to around $3.9m!

They better hope that the players don't get infraction notices. Otherwise the sponsors will run, supporters will be fed up, and they will be staring down a $5m + hole. Then the only way they can plug it will be a generous donation from Little himself.

An article earlier this week re Hird's payments put the total costs so far for the drug saga to around $3.9m!

They may have made some savings though despite paying Hird for nothing(*).

For example, presumably they are paying Thompson a bit more than before, but have they made appointments to fill the gap his promotion made? And at what salary?

(*) though I wouldn't put it past them to have Hird actively involved without it being public.

They may have made some savings though despite paying Hird for nothing(*).

For example, presumably they are paying Thompson a bit more than before, but have they made appointments to fill the gap his promotion made? And at what salary?

(*) though I wouldn't put it past them to have Hird actively involved without it being public.

True Sue.

Haha I have no doubt Hird is in some capacity still actively involved.

Flanagan today - When the Bombers were great

Bill says he noticed Essendon start to change three or four years ago. He particularly recalls receiving in the post an ad for a gambling organisation the club had partnered with.

''Now I'm no wowser, but it was the sloppy wording that got me. It said 'Bombers Bet - You Can't Lose'.'' His point is - gamblers can lose.

Interesting article...That Club are in for a world of pain & i think even the most die hard supporters are just starting to realize it..

That doesn't stop the delusional comments still appearing on my facebook page from Essendrug supporters who point blank refuse to believe any thing wrong has been done apart from the AFL & the Media.

Jack, totally agree. We are on top of the WADA watch list. We cannot, and will not, fail in this. That is why Essendon is doomed.