Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

Does look like Dank is prepared to do anything to save his own bacon. I would not be quick to judge James Hird. I do think you can say that employing Dank and weapon was an act of incredible stupidity regardless of final outcome.

If Essendon goes down for these charges, what will happen with their premiership points for this season? If they lose them, does that mean we gain 4 points from last week, or does the AFL look at our performance, laugh and give them to a losing side that actually made an effort?

If the bombers are removed from this season we won't get the points because then that's not fair on the teams that didn't get to play them. We'd have to get our percentage back though.

I can't see that happening though, it's just too huge.

I don't buy this [censored] that Hird was the only one to take the illegally listed drug. What, did he want to get down the steps quicker at quarter time? They all took it and he did to feel the benefits.

• Like 1

They won't go down, no doubt the AFL will have done a deal where Dank and the club cop the hit, not the players.

Vlad will pull out all stops to ensure the players are not suspended.

But even if WADA let them off, the AFL must strip them of all their premiership points for last year, cos it will achieve nothing and be ridiculous which means that's exactly what they will do

Hird wont go. He will deny it. As someone said on SEN we all thought Lance was clear. Plus everyone thinks the sunshine out of him. He is a protected species.

Caro didnt even write the story on the front page and its also in the herald sun. yet all I heard this morning is people bagging her. I guess she is an easy target.

But my thought is why would Dank say this. Yes he may be bitter but Hird could take further action on this so why risk it.

Maybe Hird didn't realise what he was being given.

I reckon the reason Dank says he injected Hird was to use him as a "smokescreen".

It must be known he used the illegal substance, but not on whom.

Therefore, if he can suggest it was only given to non-players, both Dank, and the Essendon players are guilt-free.

So Hirdy has to"take one for the team".

Trouble is, Hird is denying it.

What is inescapable is the fact that the Ess admin didn't know exactly WHAT their players were being given. It's amazing that an experienced and respected club doctor, like Bruce Reid, could have let this happen.

Melb got fined $500k for the actions of their employees for something where we were not proven guilty.

Dank and some of the others (Weapon etc).... what sort of fine do you think this worthy of in the eyes of the AFL even if cleared by ASADA?

Edited by Oucher
  • Like 4

But even if WADA let them off, the AFL must strip them of all their premiership points for last year, cos it will achieve nothing and be ridiculous which means that's exactly what they will do

Does that mean we finished higher, have to give Toumpas back and use pick 5 on Ollie Wines?

• Like 1

the image of Hird actually administering the needle personally is just fantastic, eat s--t Essendon

Dank also said he gave players an extract from pig's brain, which is used to treat Alzheimer's disease, the first milk from a mother cow and a bark extract.

That sounds like something straight out of a kid's story about an evil witch with a cauldron.. what in the name of God has happened to sport in this day and age

Yeah I want to get a couple more kicks, hand me the syringe full of pig's brain please

Disgraceful

Edited by Curry & Beer
  • Like 3

Listening to Bombers supporters calling into SEN is amazing. They are delusional about what this means for them. They've failed to learn what we learnt the hard way with the tanking investigation - It's not what others do or did before you, it's what you get caught doing and how the AFL can use you as an example while protecting the leagues brand.

They are in a world of trouble. The league can only protect them so much. There are legal implications that go far beyond the sport.

I'm frustrated that the journalists do not directly refer to the AFL Anti Doping Code in their coverage. It's a relatively simple document that mirrors the WADA and ASADA codes. All three documents are freely available (they are very similar).

It makes it pretty clear that Dank and (potentially) Hird have broken the code.

11.6.B

'Possession by an Official In-Competition of any Prohibited Method or any Prohibited Substance, or Possession by an Official Out-of-Competition of any Prohibited Method of any Prohibited Substance that is prohibited Out of-Competition in connection with a Player or training, unless the Official establishes that the Possession is pursuant to a Therapeutic Use Exemption granted to a Player in accordance with Clause 10 (Therapeutic Use) or other acceptable justification.'

'An Official means a coach, trainer, manager, agent, team staff, official, medical or paramedical personnel, parent or any other Person working with, treating or assisting a Player participating in or preparing for the AFL Competition.'

Dank and Hird are Officials. Dank has openly admitted that he has possessed and administered Prohibited Substances to another Official. Hird has so far denied the allegation. They don't need to involve the players at all to be found guilty. I'm a cycling fan (hence my interest in drug codes!) and there have been quite a few examples of cycling teams being found to have broken WADA's code simply through possession.

It's pretty simple. All that needs to be concluded now is if it goes any further and what the punishment should be for EFC and its Officials.

Edited by Brian Wilson
  • Like 3

Anything that takes the focus off us is good.

Actually, I don't mind the focus being on us, because it will hopefully hurt to the point where accountability kicks in and the players will make a determined effort to prove the pundits wrong. But yeah, I do know what you mean :-)

• Like 1

Im just thinking of our brand being damaged, and the fact that there may actually be a club worse off than us.

You know what I woke up today put the radio on and they were not talking about us. Caro has taken the focus off us. Thankyou.

No thanks to her. It's the investigative team that put this out.

Caro's just done her usual and called on someone to be sacked.

Who said schadenfreud is bad?

No thanks to her. It's the investigative team that put this out.

Caro's just done her usual and called on someone to be sacked.

Who said schadenfreud is bad?

In the case of Caro, shouldn't that be schadenFRAUD?

• Like 1

I'm frustrated that the journalists do not directly refer to the AFL Anti Doping Code in their coverage. It's a relatively simple document that mirrors the WADA and ASADA codes. All three documents are freely available (they are very similar).

It makes it pretty clear that Dank and (potentially) Hird have broken the code.

11.6.B

'Possession by an Official In-Competition of any Prohibited Method or any Prohibited Substance, or Possession by an Official Out-of-Competition of any Prohibited Method of any Prohibited Substance that is prohibited Out of-Competition in connection with a Player or training, unless the Official establishes that the Possession is pursuant to a Therapeutic Use Exemption granted to a Player in accordance with Clause 10 (Therapeutic Use) or other acceptable justification.'

'An Official means a coach, trainer, manager, agent, team staff, official, medical or paramedical personnel, parent or any other Person working with, treating or assisting a Player participating in or preparing for the AFL Competition.'

Dank and Hird are Officials. Dank has openly admitted that he has possessed and administered Prohibited Substances to another Official. Hird has so far denied the allegation. They don't need to involve the players at all to be found guilty. I'm a cycling fan (hence my interest in drug codes!) and there have been quite a few examples of cycling teams being found to have broken WADA's code simply through possession.

It's pretty simple. All that needs to be concluded now is if it goes any further and what the punishment should be for EFC and its Officials.

Great post.

You have to feel for the players. They were duped and will probably have to pay the consequences and because of the tough requirements of ASADA, it could mean their livelihoods.

If Essendon is sanctioned by the AFL over this, I want no premiership points for last week's disgraceful effort. Even if the Bomber players had administered substances that weren't legal last year, we've done nothing to earn any points. The very thought is repugnant.

I wonder if when they are banned (say a loss of all 2013 premiership points), whether you might find one or two players leaving.

I wonder if when they are banned (say a loss of all 2013 premiership points), whether you might find one or two players leaving.

If you where Dyson Heppell and copped a 12 month ban from ASADA would you go back there?If there found guilty that club will fold.

Melb got fined $500k for the actions of their employees for something where we were not proven guilty.

Dank and some of the others (Weapon etc).... what sort of fine do you think this worthy of in the eyes of the AFL even if cleared by ASADA?

$5m you'd think, at least.

Does look like Dank is prepared to do anything to save his own bacon. I would not be quick to judge James Hird. I do think you can say that employing Dank and weapon was an act of incredible stupidity regardless of final outcome.

Interesting re Dank. Imagine WADA/ASADA could go after him, but reality is no professional sporting organisation will ever touch him again regardless of the findings, so any penalty they hand out would be meaningless.

However, there is of course the AFP investigation...

Guys they are not guilty of anything yet.

My gut tells me they will have no case to answer.

$100 000 fine from the AFL for not paying attention

You can't be serious. $100, 000? Even if no banned substances have been used the practices and breakdown of governance have smashed the reputation of the AFL.

If we were fined $550k for bring the game into disrepute and Connolly copped a year then if the bombers will be fined upwards of $5 million and if Hird is guilty of using banned substances (or even injecting at all) he will be out for 3 years. I refer you to this quote from AD's doorstop presser today

The league boss admits that he is unsure of the ramifications of the scandal for his sport, terming it "horrible" and "terrible".

Glad this is out of the AFL's hands.

I pray for the downfall of Essendon, I am sick of their [censored] supporters laughing at us.
Perhaps they can laugh at us when all their players are banned for 2 years.

Only sad thing is, even if the have to play their VFL side, they'll probably still beat us.

You can't be serious. $100, 000? Even if no banned substances have been used the practices and breakdown of governance have smashed the reputation of the AFL.

If we were fined $550k for bring the game into disrepute and Connolly copped a year then if the bombers will be fined upwards of $5 million and if Hird is guilty of using banned substances (or even injecting at all) he will be out for 3 years. I refer you to this quote from AD's doorstop presser today

The league boss admits that he is unsure of the ramifications of the scandal for his sport, terming it "horrible" and "terrible".

I guess we will see binman

Remember this is Essendon not the MFC